OP
Trophies
Website
randommeaninglesscharacters.com
XP
Country
Canada
1717648611594.png

Have you ever had an issue with your DSi and tried to get help? Instead you'll get reddit threads full of misleading or braindead answers, gbatemp threads that just complain about noobs, and discord servers where your messages get buried by a dozen other people needing help... trying to diagnose a broken DSi without previous knowledge is annoying.

My new site is the perfect replacement. Take a look at your DSi, compare the error code/color/behaviour to photos listed on the site, then get potential causes, fixes, and similar looking errors! It takes no time at all and won't insult you for asking what's wrong. (:

https://diagnose.randommeaninglesscharacters.com

Example list of issues relating to the NAND. Pick the photo most similar to your issue and you'll get the full list of solutions.

Screen Shot 2024-06-06 at 02.16.42.png

Right now everything has been made by me alone. Obviously I don't have every type of issue listed. Please please please, if you see something missing from the site then reply to this thread with the info, or contribute directly to the github repository. This resource becomes more and more useful with every new page.

https://github.com/rvtr/Visual-DSi-Diagnostic-Guide

Last edited by rvtr,

moon_rabbit

Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, South
I don't have a DSI, so I don't know about anything else.

The yellowing issue is reportedly due to degradation of the backlight LEDs.
If the backlight LED is replaced, it can be fixed.
If any of other Nintendo devices have backlight, they can all be repaired the same way.
But if you can get a good LCD, it's easier to just replace it.

Reactions: rvtr

rvtr

Nintendo DS hoarder
OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Canada
Relevant video.

I've also heard yellowing is causes by the layer of plastic on top degrading. At some point I might buy a few DSis with yellow screens and see what's up.

gorgyrip

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Back in the day I combined cracked screens with working but yellowed screens. And it worked, as long as both screens are the same model. That means the issue wasn't the screen polarizer. I think the yellowing is happening on the plastic light dispenser. Not really sure...

I also fixed many dsi consoles with "an error has occurred..." Guess how many of them had a broken wifi module? Only 1! I was able to fix some of the rest by reflowing the cpu. Sadly the remaining ended in the trash. Later, unlaunch was released. That would have saved them since it can directly boot a game cart.

KIlly728

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You know what, this is an excellent idea. I have been working on a Problem and Solution Master Sheet for DSi and DSi XL consoles. It's a collection of anecdotal evidence from IFixIt and GBAtemp as well as personal experience working on Parts consoles. I haven't posted it since a lot of information is not concrete and relies on wishy washy answers (a lot of theories) or rare cases that I've only seen once or twice.

A few things that I can add:

- For the "Missing WiFi Module", I ran into a virgin console where reflowing the port for the Wifi Module on the motherboard solved the issue. I suspect that one of the leg's solder joints cracked.

- I also had another console with a faulty camera unit preventing a boot. Both screens would come on to a white screen, hang for a second, and the console would shut off. I didn't look into the camera unit itself to see what was wrong, but a different camera unit fixed the issue. There were no obvious faults upon inspection.

There are also charge-related faults that impact the DSi console often, be it blown fuses or cracked solder joints on the charge ports, and various non-boot essential errors like problems with the game card slot, microphone, and volume control.

I have never heard of a "Wrong Wifi Module" causing a boot error. I was under the impression they are all fairly universal. It's something I shall keep in mind.

rvtr

Nintendo DS hoarder
OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Canada
I have never heard of a "Wrong Wifi Module" causing a boot error. I was under the impression they are all fairly universal. It's something I shall keep in mind.
Yep. I thought I had bricked DSis but it turns out the wifi boards were just the wrong type. Happened to a friend as well.

Also thanks for the other info! All add fuses and the other camera issue in a bit. Was the camera like this but both screens flashed white?

bottom_power_disconnected.gif

KIlly728

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Was the camera like this but both screens flashed white?
Sort of. Maybe it's just me, but it hangs onto the white screens for just a few more milliseconds. That suggests, at least to me, that the console is crashing versus powering off due to a "failed self check" as i've heard it mentioned.

I threw together a quick test bench with the faulty camera unit and attempted to power on. Note that this is a known working DSi LL console and boots without issue without the camera unit installed.

KIlly728

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Last edited by KIlly728,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Surprised they never made a second one.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It takes two was their newest different theme
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I didn't care for that one so much, but didn't play it much either.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just played little of "Still Wakes The Deep" , just came to gamepass today, its alright, kinda creepy. I'm not usually a horror game fan, but it looks really good graphic wise, esp w 4k. I admit it made me jump a few times.
  • LNLenost @ LNLenost:
    Anyone here using the 3DS?
  • LNLenost @ LNLenost:
    do u have pretendo?
  • LNLenost @ LNLenost:
    whats ur code?
  • B @ btjunior:
    i dont have pretendo sorry
  • LNLenost @ LNLenost:
    oh ok
  • LNLenost @ LNLenost:
    well if ur console isnt modded i suggest u to mod it
  • B @ btjunior:
    also, just curius, does the freinds app still work after the shutdown?
  • LNLenost @ LNLenost:
    yes
  • B @ btjunior:
    nice
  • LNLenost @ LNLenost:
    but u cant play online games anymore :(
  • LNLenost @ LNLenost:
    i miss going in other peoples town
  • B @ btjunior:
    yeah
  • LNLenost @ LNLenost:
    i have a friend named Pineapple (@pineappleJuice hi). we played a lot the day b4 the server shutdown
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I preten to know doe
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @LNLenost how well is the pretendo servers, you ever get kicked off games when playing online?
    +1
  • LNLenost @ LNLenost:
    @BigOnYa not always you get kicked. it happens rarely to me.
    +1
  • LNLenost @ LNLenost:
    ofc they're not great, but props to them for making this
    +1
  • LNLenost @ LNLenost:
    btw, I decided to make the nintendo support team going insane
  • LNLenost @ LNLenost:
    i told them my badges disappeared after i opened the badge arcade after the shutdown, but actually they disappeared because i opened the badge arcade w/ pretendo
  • AcuteBulbasaurappears @ AcuteBulbasaurappears:
    Hey, is there anybody who knows how to create wuhb-files? :) I would like to create forwarders for two Wii-channels: https://gbatemp.net/threads/wuhb-to-vwii-channel-request.657253/#post-10441514
    AcuteBulbasaurappears @ AcuteBulbasaurappears: Hey, is there anybody who knows how to create wuhb-files? :) I would like to create forwarders...