videoinject ~ inject moflex videos and create CIAs

Discussion in '3DS - ROM Hacking, Translations and Utilities' started by ihaveamac, Jul 13, 2016.

1. ihaveamac
    OP

ihaveamac GBAtemp Guru

Apr 20, 2015
    United States
    Tigard, OR
    Since we apparently can create our own moflex files now, I made this thing because I didn't like the existing methods.

Here's videoinject, a somewhat rushed script I made to quickly create CIAs of moflex videos. Just give it a banner, icon, and video, and it will create a CIA from that.

This is still sort of experimental, so there might be issues. Please tell me how it goes and if the script is having problems.

Get the latest release (1.0)

You'll need to first extract an existing video CIA. This has only been tested with "3D Visual Experience" USA/EUR. Others might work, haven't tested yet. Just put the CIA next to extract.py/.exe, then run extract.py/.exe and it will find it and set it up. This only needs to be done once.

Next, you need to create a video in the moflex format. This is up to you to figure out. ;)

Finally, create folders under "input", one for each video you want. Each folder should have banner.png (256x128 PNG), icon.png (48x48 PNG), and movie.moflex. Name the folders after the video titles you want. Run videoinject.py/.exe and watch it go (hopefully!).

Source: https://github.com/ihaveamac/videoinject
    All releases: https://github.com/ihaveamac/videoinject/releases
    Please report bugs, requests, and other issues on GitHub or this thread.

2. TheKingy34

TheKingy34 what has happened?

Feb 21, 2016
    United Kingdom
    England I guess
    Beat me to it :P. Good job anyways.

3. Seriel

Seriel Worshipper of Skiddos

Aug 18, 2015
    United Kingdom
    /home/erisa/
    o boi this is nice.

When I saw that moflex thread I was like "Ugh I bet it's a pain to compile these into one of those video apps"
    And then I see this :D

Thanks a ton! :lol:

Koko-Kun and WeedZ like this.
  4. WeedZ

WeedZ Possibly an Enlightened Being

GBAtemp Patron
    WeedZ is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 13, 2015
    United States
    The State of Denial
  5. focusonme

focusonme Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 30, 2016
    United States
    goooooood job

6. jujibreh

jujibreh Member

Newcomer
    Oct 7, 2013
    United States
    Oakland
    HELP USING OSX!

When I run extract.py in the same folder as my 3DVisualExperience.cia (USA) which i decrpyted using decrypt9wip following the guide provided in the attached readme.txt provided in the videoinject zip i get the error "
    ! no CIAs are in this folder." I dont understand what i am doing wrong?. I tried putting them in a folder together (just the cia and the pythin script), i tried using the european CIA, I even tried running the extract.exe using WINE (a windows emulator). The results are the same every time. If anybody could help me figure this out I would appreciate it.
    I am using a mac which i didnt think would be a problem considering OP's handle and all. I assumed the reason he included the .py was for mac or linux users.
    OP Have you tested this with mac?
    Normally I would assume this was me making some kind of error but I know this thing is very alpha and I followed the guide to the letter so i dunno.

7. OldGlass

OldGlass GBAtemp Regular

Feb 9, 2016
    United States
    are there any simple way to make banners and icons? I don't really know how to use BannerTool, and 3DS Banner Maker seems to be corrupted every time it creates a banner/icon.bin

8. LinkSoraZelda

LinkSoraZelda GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 12, 2015
    United States
    Land of the Rising Orange
    Python isn't required? Thank Hylia.
    (Edit) Just realized that the actual moflex encoder still requires admin access to install. x.x
    Aw well.

Last edited by LinkSoraZelda, Jul 13, 2016
    gnmmarechal likes this.
  9. OldGlass

OldGlass GBAtemp Regular

Feb 9, 2016
    United States
    never mind, it worked!

10. jujibreh

jujibreh Member

Newcomer
    Oct 7, 2013
    United States
    Oakland
    Found the problem.
    The instructions make it seem as if as long as the python script and the CIA file are in the same folder you are good to go however that is not the case. They do indeed have to be next to each other but the extraction script has to be run in the root of the unzipped videoinject.zip folder as the python script is dependent on the tools provided in the "tools" folder and looks for them in that precise file structure.
    You should clarify this in the readme and OP. This confusion made me waste like an hour installing and uninstalling python dependencies for no reason cause im a dummy and didnt realize this. :( Anyways im happy i got it to work now! Thanks for this awesome tool!

BTW, I am pretty sure the exe does work with WINE on mac osx if you dont want to install python.

Last edited by jujibreh, Jul 13, 2016
  11. olec04

olec04 Working on Project Heaven!

Banned
    Apr 10, 2015
    United States
    Trying to downgrade on 11.0 via AM services
    smh :P

12. ihaveamac
    OP

ihaveamac GBAtemp Guru

Apr 20, 2015
    United States
    Tigard, OR
    thanks for trying it out, everyone :D
    yeah sorry, I'll make this more clear soon by extract.py explaining where to put it. I didn't really want to put it in the input folder since it was a one-time thing, but eh.
    this just takes an icon.png and banner.png which any image editor can save as.

13. TheGreek Boy

TheGreek Boy GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 9, 2016
    Greece
    Behind you.
    THANK YOU!:grog:

14. GhostLatte

GhostLatte The Hypebeast Shitposter

Mar 26, 2015
    Antarctica
    Supreme NY
    What are the benefits to using this over Video Channels Creator?

15. ihaveamac
    OP

ihaveamac GBAtemp Guru

Apr 20, 2015
    United States
    Tigard, OR
    moflex videos are much smaller than JPGV. you can only use a copyrighted converter for moflex videos though (until someone creates a homebrew encoder, I guess).

GhostLatte likes this.
  16. iSeeNoChanges

iSeeNoChanges Member

Newcomer
    Jul 5, 2016
    United States
    it always says : romfs:// movie not found. is this actually a video cia, or is it encrypted?

17. ihaveamac
    OP

ihaveamac GBAtemp Guru

Apr 20, 2015
    United States
    Tigard, OR
    try decrypting the CIA you're using?

iSeeNoChanges likes this.
  18. iSeeNoChanges

iSeeNoChanges Member

Newcomer
    Jul 5, 2016
    United States
    yup worked great now, thanks for this simple thing!

19. Potvis

Potvis Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 25, 2013
    Netherlands
    I followed every step but when I open videoinject.exe or videoinject.py an output folder is made, it says ''done injection'' but no cia is created at all? What happened here?

20. ihaveamac
    OP

ihaveamac GBAtemp Guru

Apr 20, 2015
    United States
    Tigard, OR
    did you make a folder inside "input", then put movie.moflex/banner.png/icon.png inside that? don't put those 3 files directly in "input".