ROM Hack videoinject ~ inject moflex videos and create CIAs

ihaveahax

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Since we apparently can create our own moflex files now, I made this thing because I didn't like the existing methods.

Here's videoinject, a somewhat rushed script I made to quickly create CIAs of moflex videos. Just give it a banner, icon, and video, and it will create a CIA from that.

This is still sort of experimental, so there might be issues. Please tell me how it goes and if the script is having problems.

Get the latest release (1.0)

You'll need to first extract an existing video CIA. This has only been tested with "3D Visual Experience" USA/EUR. Others might work, haven't tested yet. Just put the CIA next to extract.py/.exe, then run extract.py/.exe and it will find it and set it up. This only needs to be done once.

Next, you need to create a video in the moflex format. This is up to you to figure out. ;)

Finally, create folders under "input", one for each video you want. Each folder should have banner.png (256x128 PNG), icon.png (48x48 PNG), and movie.moflex. Name the folders after the video titles you want. Run videoinject.py/.exe and watch it go (hopefully!).

Source: https://github.com/ihaveamac/videoinject
All releases: https://github.com/ihaveamac/videoinject/releases
Please report bugs, requests, and other issues on GitHub or this thread.

Seriel

Doing her best
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
o boi this is nice.

When I saw that moflex thread I was like "Ugh I bet it's a pain to compile these into one of those video apps"
And then I see this :D

Thanks a ton! :lol:

Reactions: Koko-Kun and WeedZ

jujibreh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
HELP USING OSX!

When I run extract.py in the same folder as my 3DVisualExperience.cia (USA) which i decrpyted using decrypt9wip following the guide provided in the attached readme.txt provided in the videoinject zip i get the error "
! no CIAs are in this folder." I dont understand what i am doing wrong?. I tried putting them in a folder together (just the cia and the pythin script), i tried using the european CIA, I even tried running the extract.exe using WINE (a windows emulator). The results are the same every time. If anybody could help me figure this out I would appreciate it.
I am using a mac which i didnt think would be a problem considering OP's handle and all. I assumed the reason he included the .py was for mac or linux users.
OP Have you tested this with mac?
Normally I would assume this was me making some kind of error but I know this thing is very alpha and I followed the guide to the letter so i dunno.

OldGlass

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
are there any simple way to make banners and icons? I don't really know how to use BannerTool, and 3DS Banner Maker seems to be corrupted every time it creates a banner/icon.bin

jujibreh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Found the problem.
The instructions make it seem as if as long as the python script and the CIA file are in the same folder you are good to go however that is not the case. They do indeed have to be next to each other but the extraction script has to be run in the root of the unzipped videoinject.zip folder as the python script is dependent on the tools provided in the "tools" folder and looks for them in that precise file structure.
You should clarify this in the readme and OP. This confusion made me waste like an hour installing and uninstalling python dependencies for no reason cause im a dummy and didnt realize this. :( Anyways im happy i got it to work now! Thanks for this awesome tool!

BTW, I am pretty sure the exe does work with WINE on mac osx if you dont want to install python.

Last edited by jujibreh,

ihaveahax

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thanks for trying it out, everyone :D
You should clarify this in the readme and OP. This confusion made me waste like an hour installing and uninstalling python dependencies for no reason cause im a dummy and didnt realize this. :(
yeah sorry, I'll make this more clear soon by extract.py explaining where to put it. I didn't really want to put it in the input folder since it was a one-time thing, but eh.
are there any simple way to make banners and icons? I don't really know how to use BannerTool, and 3DS Banner Maker seems to be corrupted every time it creates a banner/icon.bin
never mind, it worked!
this just takes an icon.png and banner.png which any image editor can save as.

Potvis

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I followed every step but when I open videoinject.exe or videoinject.py an output folder is made, it says ''done injection'' but no cia is created at all? What happened here?

ihaveahax

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I followed every step but when I open videoinject.exe or videoinject.py an output folder is made, it says ''done injection'' but no cia is created at all? What happened here?
did you make a folder inside "input", then put movie.moflex/banner.png/icon.png inside that? don't put those 3 files directly in "input".

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: yawn