Video streaming services will no longer work on the Nintendo Wii by January 2019

Netflix_on_the_Wii_002.JPG

It's been over a decade since the release of the Nintendo Wii, with two newer home consoles succeeding it in the 12 years since its debut. While the Wii's relevancy may have faded, a small population of users out there still keep their system hooked up, for the purpose of easily streaming on-demand TV and movies. Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime Video, and Crunchyroll are still capable of streaming 480p video for those that managed to grab the respective applications prior to the closure of the Wii Shop Channel. Back in the day, there was a definite market thanks to the massive popularity of the Wii, and streaming companies commonly encouraged customers to use game consoles in order to watch content. Netflix even offered a disc by mail that would allow Wii systems to use the service. However, those days are coming to an end after eight years, with Netflix revealing that Nintendo will be suspending all video streaming services on the platform by January 31, 2019.

:arrow: Source

jahrs

Technician of The Dead
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ya got me i goofed was at work wanted to be funny and then my boss walked in so i posted it half done out of shear pantsh*ting fright.

leon315

POWERLIFTER
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
but it's really weird, i still use Netflix on X360, but from what I've just tried recently, the streaming just won't load, even i can still open the app and sync my view lists, considering X360 has more power than a wii.

kuwanger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would assume it's because Netflix has to keep their services working for the Wii, so they need to test stuff for that, maybe add specific exceptions here and there because the Wii is kinda garbage, things like that.

I've reencoded stuff to work on the Wii through WiiMC, and I'd hardly call it garbage. It may be relatively underpowered, but it's more than capable of playing the 480p video you give it so long as you don't use too advanced of a codec. That last part I can sort of understand wanting to get rid of to save bandwidth and avoid future encoding on such codecs. Still, since they've already got most their library already encoded that way, it'd seem to more sensical to just keep providing support to users on all the older encoded stuff. Actually maintaining the app for the Wii should be incredibly trivially.

cashboxz01

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is not fair. I use my wii as my primary streaming device. Not everyone can afford a raspberry pi or a fire tv stick ya know.

Rioluwott

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Never actually tried netflix on the wii
does it actually work on an acceptable way?
also never tried the 3ds version either
i think netflix never got released on mexico(on the wii and 3ds), i can install the file but would it work with a mexican account?

nodnyl10

Trophies
XP
Country
This is just sad. I worked on a Call Center and most of the people that called are Nintendo Wii owners that uses their Wii for Netflix. Most of them or at least 90% of the time are senior citizens. I guess around age 50ish and above. Now this news that it wont support Netflix anymore is really sad. I don't know the right term but i believe it's Foster Care, that place is one of the most callers we get on the job, they play Nintendo Wii most of the time but the Netflix is what they use for non-actives. Sad really. How many times have I mentioned sad anyway.

Reactions: Zense

Haymose

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Netflix and Nintendo have nothing to gain by keeping this alive on Wii. Sad for the people who still might use it though.

D

Deleted User

I remember downloading it once to test it, I guess it's cool for watching 4:3 stuff. But I never used it much.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Yeah, understandable.
You can get a used Wii for $40 and get composite with 420p, or you can buy a Chromecast for $30 which can go up to 1080p.
I checked what chromecast is, and it's not what I expected.
you need another device to steam to the cast to the TV, I thought it was a device connecting itself to the home wifi and acting as independent android and media server with apps on it you got from the store.
it looks like it's easier for my parent to get my wiiu and have netflix on it, than having to get and setup a phone with netflix then connect to the cast to stream it. double device understanding required instead of one.

they already have issues understanding the "AV" button on the tv remote to switch to wii.... they use only vol/chan +/-
A/B (accept/back) on the netflix interface is at the limit of their understanding of an UI :/

Another choice would be to gift them a connected TV for Christmas :P
One single remote with every services on it.

Last edited by Cyan,

slaphappygamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wonder when Netflix on switch will be available? Or maybe some network hack (dns change?) to make Netflix work again on wii. I’m sure if won’t be long before Netflix again works on the wii. My brother uses it all the time and has a tight budget. Maybe I get him a roku box for Christmas.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Materia_tofu @ Materia_tofu: this is true! i learned how to make soundfont remixes from a friend back in 2021 +1