Video streaming services will no longer work on the Nintendo Wii by January 2019

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Nov 9, 2018.

Front-page
    Netflix_on_the_Wii_002.JPG

It's been over a decade since the release of the Nintendo Wii, with two newer home consoles succeeding it in the 12 years since its debut. While the Wii's relevancy may have faded, a small population of users out there still keep their system hooked up, for the purpose of easily streaming on-demand TV and movies. Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime Video, and Crunchyroll are still capable of streaming 480p video for those that managed to grab the respective applications prior to the closure of the Wii Shop Channel. Back in the day, there was a definite market thanks to the massive popularity of the Wii, and streaming companies commonly encouraged customers to use game consoles in order to watch content. Netflix even offered a disc by mail that would allow Wii systems to use the service. However, those days are coming to an end after eight years, with Netflix revealing that Nintendo will be suspending all video streaming services on the platform by January 31, 2019.

:arrow: Source

Discussion (74 replies)
  1. kikongokiller

kikongokiller GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 12, 2017
    Australia
    Press A+B to pay respects.

2. Chary
    OP

Chary Never sleeps.

pip Senior Editor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Chary is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 2, 2012
    United States
    It may be sluggish, it might only be 480p, it might crash 80% of the time, but hey, at least the Wii had Netflix.

Wii > Switch confirmed, finally.

matpower, Zero Dozer, vpd and 19 others like this.
  3. White90000

White90000 Member

Newcomer
    Mar 4, 2018
    Germany
    AB

seren3 and Petraplexity like this.
  4. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    took them long enough :P

5. kuwanger

kuwanger GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 26, 2006
    United States
    Can a PC from 2006 play Hulu, Netflix, etc at 480p? Is there some specific reason they're dropping support for the Wii? *sigh* "But you got to buy the latest Android TV!" Literally one can still use a TV from the 90s with an HDMI box (with the right adapter). Good thing I bought my sister/brother-in-law a box after Youtube broke on the Wii. I wonder how long they will ordain to keep that working.

6. Ericthegreat

Ericthegreat Not New Member

Nov 8, 2008
    United States
    Vana'diel
    Lol I never had one but Netflix came on this weird circle thing you put in your wii.

bennyman123abc likes this.
  7. Justinde75

Justinde75 VGM Addict

GBAtemp Patron
    Justinde75 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Feb 14, 2016
    Germany
    Stray Sheep Bar
    I'd love to see how many people used this in 2018

8. Xzi

Xzi Virtual Bartman

Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    I think you forgot the /s. Video streaming was a much bigger factor for consoles last gen, but now you've got $20-$30 HDMI sticks that do the same thing. If anybody is buying $250+ video game consoles specifically to stream Netflix, they're doing life wrong.

9. SuperrSonic

SuperrSonic GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 9, 2011
    Puerto Rico
    Warning: Spoilers inside!
    Interestingly you can also watch it on the Netflix channel with a higher resolution and bitrate... but it doesn't last 5 hours.

samiam144 and barronwaffles like this.
  10. WiiU

WiiU Lurking in the Shadows

May 7, 2014
    Between worlds of Hyrule & Lorule
    Didn’t even know this was a thing. Then again Australia only got Netflix in 2015.

11. radicalwookie

radicalwookie GBAtemp Regular

Sep 15, 2018
    United States
    You mean ''shake your wiimote violently like you are having a seizure'' to pay respects?

12. leafeon34

leafeon34 My profile picture is ugly

Sep 30, 2014
    Greece
    Elysium
    And nothing of value has been lost

LisaKlein likes this.
  13. Bedel

Bedel The key of the blade

Oct 28, 2015
    Hope this means they are planning to add them to Switch. Youtube did nothing for me, but Netflix is other story.

14. Lucifer666

Lucifer666 all the world needs is me

Apr 22, 2011
    United Kingdom
    The Fourth Dimension
    I don't understand why. I mean, sure, the Wii is defunct and nobody watches Netflix on it etc. etc., but does it actually cost Nintendo anything to keep it going? It's fetching data off of Netflix's servers...

15. LightyKD

LightyKD Future CEO of OUYA Inc.

Jun 25, 2008
    United States
    Angel Grove, CA
    (A) + |B|

Damn... I get that the Wii is fairly old but I kinda feel bad. It's like putting flowers on a grave. :( -oh well, it was fun while it lasted.

Last edited by LightyKD, Nov 9, 2018
  16. krueger96

krueger96 GBAtemp Regular

Dec 21, 2016
    Italy
    Makes sense after all this time, but i have to say the wii netflix app is really good, if you don't care about hd.

Sophie-bear, Dr.Hacknik and Zense like this.
  17. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands
    I would assume it's because Netflix has to keep their services working for the Wii, so they need to test stuff for that, maybe add specific exceptions here and there because the Wii is kinda garbage, things like that.

LisaKlein and krueger96 like this.
  18. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    oh :(
    My parent still use the Wii to watch netflix.
    I guess I'll have to give them my WiiU in two months...

is it a nintendo decision or netflix wanting to stop 480p?
    What I understand is it's caused by nintendo stopping their network service, I suppose it had to connect to nintendo first.

It never crashed.
    And I don't know why a lot of people think netflix on switch is useless, while they are fine having it on other consoles. Not everybody has a phone or tablet, or like to watch things on the go on small screens, and the console is the only way to watch netflix on TV.
    the switch could do it too. Never understood the angst against netflix on switch from some users here but no problem with it on PS4. (not including you, just talking based on a lot of comments I saw on gbatemp from users against the idea to get netflix on switch)

Last edited by Cyan, Nov 9, 2018
    Reecey likes this.
  19. Trash_Bandatcoot

Trash_Bandatcoot Not a weeb watching manga on his iPad

Jul 14, 2018
    Netherlands
    Yeah, understandable.
    You can get a used Wii for $40 and get composite with 420p, or you can buy a Chromecast for $30 which can go up to 1080p.

DaFixer likes this.