Vicarious Visions merges with Blizzard and is reportedly working on 'Diablo II' Remake

vicarious visions.jpg
As GamesIndustry.biz reports, Activision Blizzard has merged Vicarious Visions with its Blizzard side of things to have the studio's 200-ish team "fully dedicated to existing Blizzard games and initiatives". Vicarious Visions' recent works include developing Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy and the remake for Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 1 + 2.

Following this merger news, Bloomberg reported that, according to "people familiar with the plans" who asked not to be identified, Vicarious Visions "has been working with Blizzard since last year on the Diablo franchise, including a planned remake of Diablo II". When asked for a comment by Bloomberg, a Blizzard spokesperson only confirmed that Vicarious Visions “has been working with Blizzard for some time.”

:arrow: SOURCE 1, SOURCE 2

limpbiz411

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i wonder if they still host the destiny 2 servers? Vicarious visions was a few blocks away from me and went into their facility to check it out right after they released guitar hero 3, they we're really nice to me. They are a pretty good company.

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
The final nail on Diablo's coffin.
Nah, I'm thinking the final nail will be the release of Diablo 4 failing to live up to the standard set by Path of Exile (again). Considering their work on the N Sane Trilogy and THPS, Vicarious does have the potential to produce a quality D2 Remake, but they cannot single-handedly save ActiBlizzard from itself.

ZeroFX

why?
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Nah, I'm thinking the final nail will be the release of Diablo 4 failing to live up to the standard set by Path of Exile (again). Considering their work on the N Sane Trilogy and THPS, Vicarious does have the potential to produce a quality D2 Remake, but they cannot single-handedly save ActiBlizzard from itself.
My expectation for diablo 4 rn is very low, but hope they won't ruin d2, it was a nice game back in the day.

Reactions: Xzi

MetoMeto

Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
i wonder if they still host the destiny 2 servers? Vicarious visions was a few blocks away from me and went into their facility to check it out right after they released guitar hero 3, they we're really nice to me. They are a pretty good company.
few people at the reception desk is not company.

D

Deleted User

I've played both Diablo I and II with their unofficial Expansions and Inventory Cheats; I don't think there's much left to do under the sun for Diablo II.

That said, I wouldn't mind seeing a Remake of Diablo I; I enjoyed how simple the plot was and I was younger when it came out so it actually felt more thrilling than playing the sequel.

I also picked up both Torchlight I and II along the way, so I'd rather a Diablo I Remake be buttery smooth Pixel Art instead of 3D, especially since they seem to look closer to the Torchlight franchise of late.

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I hate how Blizzard's franchise games tend to turn cartoony with bright colors. I prefer a gritty style like D1. D2 was fun, but the art style had started going into the wrong direction imo. D3 wasn't all that great. WC1 and WC2 were okay, but WC3 ruined the franchise for me. It seems to be the pattern.

LightBeam

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Huh ... Let's see how it goes. Call me a fool, but I still have some hope. I mean, they are nowhere near to the Blizzard I used to know, that's for sure, but I want to believe that we already experienced the worst, therefore we can only have better things .... Next Blizzcon is going to be decisive

Vineezy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
I feel so conflicted.

Vicarious did the superb Crash trilogy and some underrated GBA ports... but then again, Blizzard might make this the Reforged of the Diablo franchise, honestly. I literally don't know what to feel about this combo. I'd like to be cautiously optimistic, but c'mon, Blizzard will always find a way to fuck up.

If this flops, I think that it won't be Vicarious's fault, they have a pretty good track record, I think.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Exactly.

Like I said, after the Crash remaster trilogy and a few underrated GBA ports, Vicarious are pretty damn great devs, Blizzard'll ruin 'em, no doubt about it, really.

And Blizzard is partly owned by Tencent, we all know it's gonna suck ass

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh boy, I can't wait to see how much of a shit show the Diablo 2 remake will be, after the WC3 remake, lol!

Also, I wish more people would realize that Blizzard is just a name now, just like Rare and Bioware. All the people who made the good games in those companies are gone.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over