1. 6,594

Front-page
    vicarious visions.jpg
    As GamesIndustry.biz reports, Activision Blizzard has merged Vicarious Visions with its Blizzard side of things to have the studio's 200-ish team "fully dedicated to existing Blizzard games and initiatives". Vicarious Visions' recent works include developing Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy and the remake for Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 1 + 2.

Following this merger news, Bloomberg reported that, according to "people familiar with the plans" who asked not to be identified, Vicarious Visions "has been working with Blizzard since last year on the Diablo franchise, including a planned remake of Diablo II". When asked for a comment by Bloomberg, a Blizzard spokesperson only confirmed that Vicarious Visions “has been working with Blizzard for some time.”

:arrow: SOURCE 1, SOURCE 2

Tyvar1, console, mathew77 and 12 others like this.
  2. Discussion (45 replies)

3. AkiraKurusu

AkiraKurusu DS Pokémon Fan

Australia
    Aw no no no...noooooo...lookit what ActiBlizz did to Bungie and Destiny...WHYYYYYYYYYY

4. Xzi

Xzi GBAtemp's Resident Plok Expert

United States
    After the shitshow that was the WC3 Remake, I'd rather they just not. But if they're gonna do it regardless, better that they hand over the reigns to somebody else I guess. Blizzard lost all their best people ages ago.

5. limpbiz411

limpbiz411 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    i wonder if they still host the destiny 2 servers? Vicarious visions was a few blocks away from me and went into their facility to check it out right after they released guitar hero 3, they we're really nice to me. They are a pretty good company.

Scott_pilgrim likes this.
  6. ZeroFX

ZeroFX Eh. What?

Japan
    The final nail on Diablo's coffin.

Last edited by ZeroFX, Jan 23, 2021
    The_Provider and AkiraKurusu like this.
  7. Xzi

Xzi GBAtemp's Resident Plok Expert

United States
    Nah, I'm thinking the final nail will be the release of Diablo 4 failing to live up to the standard set by Path of Exile (again). Considering their work on the N Sane Trilogy and THPS, Vicarious does have the potential to produce a quality D2 Remake, but they cannot single-handedly save ActiBlizzard from itself.

8. ZeroFX

ZeroFX Eh. What?

Japan
    My expectation for diablo 4 rn is very low, but hope they won't ruin d2, it was a nice game back in the day.

Xzi likes this.
  9. MetoMeto

MetoMeto GBAtemp Maniac

United Kingdom
    few people at the reception desk is not company.

10. tomasowa

tomasowa GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I've played both Diablo I and II with their unofficial Expansions and Inventory Cheats; I don't think there's much left to do under the sun for Diablo II.

That said, I wouldn't mind seeing a Remake of Diablo I; I enjoyed how simple the plot was and I was younger when it came out so it actually felt more thrilling than playing the sequel.

I also picked up both Torchlight I and II along the way, so I'd rather a Diablo I Remake be buttery smooth Pixel Art instead of 3D, especially since they seem to look closer to the Torchlight franchise of late.

11. Deleted User

Deleted User Newbie

No!!
    So much for a Crash Nitro Cart remake!:(

12. Jayro

Jayro MediCat USB and Malwarebytes Bootable Developer
    Developer

United States
    So uh... Is anyone going to sue them over anti-trust, monopoly, etc?

13. tabzer

tabzer GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Japan
    I hate how Blizzard's franchise games tend to turn cartoony with bright colors. I prefer a gritty style like D1. D2 was fun, but the art style had started going into the wrong direction imo. D3 wasn't all that great. WC1 and WC2 were okay, but WC3 ruined the franchise for me. It seems to be the pattern.

ChronoTrig, tomasowa and ZeroFX like this.
  14. LightBeam

LightBeam GBAtemp Fan

France
    Huh ... Let's see how it goes. Call me a fool, but I still have some hope. I mean, they are nowhere near to the Blizzard I used to know, that's for sure, but I want to believe that we already experienced the worst, therefore we can only have better things .... Next Blizzcon is going to be decisive

15. Vineezy

Vineezy Member
    Newcomer

Ireland
    I feel so conflicted.

Vicarious did the superb Crash trilogy and some underrated GBA ports... but then again, Blizzard might make this the Reforged of the Diablo franchise, honestly. I literally don't know what to feel about this combo. I'd like to be cautiously optimistic, but c'mon, Blizzard will always find a way to fuck up.

If this flops, I think that it won't be Vicarious's fault, they have a pretty good track record, I think.

16. BiggieCheese

BiggieCheese GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Merging their own studios together isn’t an anti-trust violation lol

Scott_pilgrim and ChronoTrig like this.
  17. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

United States
    Eww, merging with Blizzard. That's unfortunate.

Scott_pilgrim and DarkCoffe64 like this.
  18. Vineezy

Vineezy Member
    Newcomer

Ireland
    Exactly.

Like I said, after the Crash remaster trilogy and a few underrated GBA ports, Vicarious are pretty damn great devs, Blizzard'll ruin 'em, no doubt about it, really.

DarkCoffe64, Xzi and tabzer like this.
  19. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

United States
    And Blizzard is partly owned by Tencent, we all know it's gonna suck ass

20. Jayro

Jayro MediCat USB and Malwarebytes Bootable Developer
    Developer

United States
    I wasn't aware they already owned them. I'm just tired of the 3 or 4 giant studios snatching up all the smaller ones.

21. Viri

Viri GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    Oh boy, I can't wait to see how much of a shit show the Diablo 2 remake will be, after the WC3 remake, lol!

Also, I wish more people would realize that Blizzard is just a name now, just like Rare and Bioware. All the people who made the good games in those companies are gone.

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - reportedly, Vicarious, Blizzard