VGA vs Component cable?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by OGTiago, Sep 7, 2010.

Sep 7, 2010

VGA vs Component cable? by OGTiago at 12:19 PM (2,494 Views / 0 Likes) 13 replies

1. OGTiago
    OP

Member OGTiago GBAtemp Regular

Portugal
    Right now I have a component cable, but I didn't notice a big difference from composite, except slightly crisp and defined colours, which just comes out as super jaggies on my HD TV.

Anyone used the two, did you notice a difference?

2. PsyBlade

Member PsyBlade Snake Charmer

Germany
    There are only Composite(1 Channel), SVideo (over Scart)(2C) and Component(3C) Cables for Wii.

in general: more Channels -> better Picture

Everything else just converts one of the above.

3. Arm73

Member Arm73 GBAtemp Addict

Italy
  4. Raiser

Member Raiser I am mad scientist.

Canada
    I think he has his terms mixed up (VGA and Composite).
    FYI: VGA is the blue headed cable that a lot of computer monitors use. Composite are the standard red, yellow, and white headed cables that many TV connected electronic devices use.

Composite will have a more dull color and clarity presentation.
    Component really shows off the colors and improves the Wii's clarity which is why jagged lines are much more visible.

So with each cable, there's a con. Which one is more suited for you depends on your TV / setup.

5. d820wii

Newcomer d820wii Newbie

United States
    i can tell a a lil' bit of a diff. another thing that Component (RBG) conn. made my WiiSprtResPAL funcnl and a few other titles that with reg yellRedWt conn will not disp. I think there's an Advantg havn Component.Thanx

6. OGTiago
    OP

Portugal
    No mix up, maybe confusing as I end up talking about composite too, but the question is related to VGA and component.

7. mightymuffy

Member mightymuffy fatbaldpieeater

United Kingdom
    Right.... I'm guessing you can get a vga cable for the Wii then? .....the picture quality will at best be no better than component: the Wii can't display a higher resolution than 480p...

8. Raiser

Canada
    There wouldn't be much difference, if any at all.

There is no direct cable to VGA for the Wii. That's why if you look at the link that Arm73 posted, you'll find a couple items used such as HDBox Pro or Wii2HDMI.

They are cheap converter devices that would allow you to convert a composite / component signal into VGA. Often, there are problems such as color loss, quality loss, sound issues, and many others.

Are you looking to use your Wii on a TV or PC monitor?

9. Edgedancer

Member Edgedancer Director of Moon based operations

Australia
    Actually Raiser, there is a VGA cable for the wii. I actually own one but there are issues with it. The monitor only accepts 480p (or which ever one is the higher quality output) and the wii will occassionally output the lower quality signal and this results in a black screen that can last a couple of seconds to well over a minute (in twilight princess at least) which makes some games unplayable. And some games dont work at all, like Madworld. There is also the issue of PAL wii's not be able to make use of the gamecube function with the vga cable and even on NTSC ones, it is still hit'n'miss.

10. PsyBlade

Member PsyBlade Snake Charmer

Germany
    that cable is no direct/native VGA its a Component Cable + VGA Converter combined into one

11. OGTiago
    OP

Portugal
    They call it a TV, but it's just a giant LCD monitor.

Right, so what if the TV was better at displaying VGA? Or wouldn't there be a difference because it's just converting? From what you guys have said it doesn't seem worth getting a VGA cable with all the problems.

12. Raiser

Canada
    There are no brand name converters (at all) that will allow you to convert your signal to VGA.
    You'll most likely find at least a few problems with each converter. So in the end, it'd be better sticking with component (or composite if you prefer it).

13. tigris

Member tigris Sentient Existential Anthropomorphic Sweet Potato

United Kingdom
    VGA is miles better. Stick a HDMI converter in the mix and you've got a bomb.

14. Edgedancer

Member Edgedancer Director of Moon based operations

Australia
    Sorry about that misinformation guys. It plugs into the monitor so thats good enough for me. [​IMG]