geoflcl

Permanent GBAtemp Newbie
Trophies
Website
loganderb.in
XP
Country
United States
Ristar is a wonderful game, and I actually Prefer the Japanese version to the American and European releases. For whatever reason, Sega decided to make many alterations to the game for its international release, many of them detrimental.

Anyway, definitely give this a try if you're in the mood for a challenging platformer with a twist.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I only just tried the Japanese release a fortnight or so ago after someone saying the same, I have to agree. I love this game but this version is even better!

geoflcl

Permanent GBAtemp Newbie
Trophies
Website
loganderb.in
XP
Country
United States
A complete list of differences can be found here. Honestly, most if the changes made in the international release are negligible, and have little significance other than aesthetics. Most notably, thanks to SEGA's obsession with giving their characters 'Tude in the '90s, they felt compelled to change Ristar's idle animation to a rather mean-looking 'tough guy' sprite that seems out-of-place. The original Japanese release featured special idle animations for each level, while in the international release, players were stuck with ol' Menacing Ristar for the game's entirety. SEGA also took the liberty of changing various other things for the US/PAL versions, like changing the enemy sprouts to look meaner, and making certain portions of the game a bit more difficult. Finally, SEGA disabled a lot of the cheat passwords for the international release. They curiously decided to include the ones that made the game more difficult, however. :S

Really, there's no HUGE differences between the two versions. But to me, the Japanese version seems like it has more character, and doesn't take itself as deliberately seriously. If you've already played the US/PAL version, there's really no glaring reason to play the Japanese version, unless you're as big of a nerd as I am and care about such trifling matters.
biggrin.gif

Edit: whoopsee, NamoNakamura beat me to it. Sorry. :S

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cool, I loved Ristar. I had no idea that there were differences between the Japanese and English releases.

stanleyopar2000

RIP Yuzu. "It is always morally correct..."
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
I would like to see a "changelist" of what Ristar went though compared to the Japanese and the others...

EDIT - Got it :

* Planet names change between the different versions of Ristar.
* The Western version's enemies were altered to appear more threatening, and the "angry" Ristar sprite is used throughout the entire game.
* Most of the idle animations have been removed in Western versions.
* A skiing sequence was added to the start of round five. Sprites for a skiing Ristar actually exist in the Japanese ROM, though it is completely unused.
* Itamor was changed from a giant mechanical cat to an ice monster. This is because of a pun ('cat-tongue') that works in Japanese.
* Anti-gravity shoes were added to round six. However, the "swimming on air" sequence still exists in the Japanese version. The same shoe sprites exist in the Japanese ROM as well.
* Notes appear next to the giant mechanical birds when they are about to peck down on Planet Neuos / Sonata. This was removed in Western versions, though the birds still stop moving their heads right before they peck.
* The names of the treasures in the bonus stages were removed. On a related note, if all the treasures are collected, Ristar says "Miracle" in the Japanese version and "Good job" in the Western versions.
* The European version of Ristar is one of the few Mega Drive games to take advantage of the larger resolution used by PAL systems.

- Wikipedia

I have Ristar from the Sonic Mega Collection for GameCube...and I liked it quite well...

..."are ya with me?"
tongue.gif

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qviXAJSy10[/youtube]

The things "too obscene for U.S audiences" are the differences this player points out

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Lol