Valve Delays Steam Controller to 2015

Kalker3

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Yeah, it is kinda sad. :/
tbh I wonder if Steam Machines will suffer from the "outdated" issue(A 2014 top-tier PC will be meh in 2/3 years if you want to run everything in max quality), since there are many variations of it(It kinda feels like MSX/CDi :P)

Well, they are supposed to be "upgrade-able" PCs IIRC, so they probably won't suffer the outdated issue.
If you settle for "high" or medium" though, you'll be looking at 3 to 5 years me thinks. I'm just throwing some numbers though, there could always be another Crysis/Star Citizen ;P

Changing a GPU isn't very difficult to do anyway.

tbgtbg

Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
RcXSCjN.jpg

That looks like the shittiest controller since the Turbo Touch 360. Delay it? How about kill it with fire instead.

Reactions: Bladexdsl

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Am I the only one thinking this controller will suck? One of the biggest flaws of the PSVita was how small the buttons were, just like this controller. Also no physical feedback from those touchpad "sticks".

What? The biggest flaw with the Vita buttons are the L and R buttons. The other buttons and analogue sticks work really well.

GameWinner

Take your heart
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What? The biggest flaw with the Vita buttons are the L and R buttons. The other buttons and analogue sticks work really well.
Huh? You have trouble with the L and R buttons? Usually it's the Start and Select buttons that peiple complain about (which were both fixed in the 2000 model).

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Huh? You have trouble with the L and R buttons? Usually it's the Start and Select buttons that peiple complain about (which were both fixed in the 2000 model).

Yeah, they're unresponsive and cramped. I have the same issue with every handheld. What complains were people having with the Start/Select buttons?

D

Dork

Yeah, they're unresponsive and cramped. I have the same issue with every handheld. What complains were people having with the Start/Select buttons?
The common complaints are that the buttons are too small and that they are hard to press due to the buttons not protruding, and instead they are flush with the front surface of the Vita. I never had a problem pressing them though.

Reactions: Sterling

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The common complaints are that the buttons are too small and that they are hard to press due to the buttons not protruding, and instead they are flush with the front surface of the Vita. I never had a problem pressing them though.

Yeah, that's a bunch of bunk. I've never had any issues with them. I rather like how they're flush too.

XDel

Author of Alien Breed: Projekt Odamex
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
News like this only serves to comfort me. Valve and Nintendo have never really let me down in regards to my most loved franchises from them, so I'm willing to bet that this (usual) delay from Valve is for the best. Besides I HATE rushed products or salesmen that are over confident and unable to see the flaws within their own product, or unwilling to admit...

shadow1w2

Still here.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think they got rid of the touchscreen after they realized it was an expensive component and pretty much the least used.

They must have, though I would have loved to have it.
Especially for Dreamcast emulators xD

With smart watches out there I wonder if one made for gaming could be produced but eh, it wouldn't get enough sales or interest for the cost of production even if its just a touch screen with bluetooth and nothing more.

Either way I hope they fix that D-pad it looks painful unless its only used as buttons.
Try using N64 C-buttons as a d-pad heh, it hurts.

Looking forward to trying the touch pads I hope they can make those work, but I'd love to see a way to replace them with analog sticks.
I wonder if a cheap attachment could be made that could go over the touch pads.
Kinda like a suction cup would work on the NDS touch screen.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
News like this only serves to comfort me. Valve and Nintendo have never really let me down in regards to my most loved franchises from them, so I'm willing to bet that this (usual) delay from Valve is for the best. Besides I HATE rushed products or salesmen that are over confident and unable to see the flaws within their own product, or unwilling to admit...

I thought Nintendo have had several people looking over quite concerned in recent years with other M, sunshine, pushing NSMB a bit harder than they might, handheld zeldas being largely forgettable, quite a few people having somewhat "meh" reactions to the console Zelda titles, mario kart getting a bit weaker, mario party being only slightly behind madden in the annual retread stakes.....

Is that not a trait of all sales types? The salesman is a true believer problem is well documented, also why the more engineering/science inclined people tend to make awful sales types.

XDel

Author of Alien Breed: Projekt Odamex
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I thought Nintendo have had several people looking over quite concerned in recent years with other M, sunshine, pushing NSMB a bit harder than they might, handheld zeldas being largely forgettable, quite a few people having somewhat "meh" reactions to the console Zelda titles, mario kart getting a bit weaker, mario party being only slightly behind madden in the annual retread stakes.....

Is that not a trait of all sales types? The salesman is a true believer problem is well documented, also why the more engineering/science inclined people tend to make awful sales types.

I'm sure not everyone's tastes are the same. As for me, I've been enjoying the new Zelda's the the like, though I can't say I own a 3DSXL yet, so I have to take my friend's word that the new Zelda on there is ADDICTIVE and brings back the spirit of the old SNES glory days.

You do got me on Metroid M though... GREAT gameplay, but the story on the other hand.... meh. Like Castlevania and many other long lasting franchises, I miss the old days when some of those franchises were dark, and foreboding. I.E. Remember back in Sega's hey day during the SMS and Genesis era when they were like the dark alternative to Nintendo. Now a days nearly everything Sega produces is cheesey poofed out.

icantfeelmyarms

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
At this point I am reminded of the "how controllers appear to non gaming types" type images, or alternatively how a modern controller might look to someone with NES era sensibilities.

ps4-controller-jpg.33675

I guess I do find simpler is better... Like I said, I'm all for innovation, but isn't bad to have your own preference :^) I'd buy this PS4 controller just for the novelty of it. This would be amazing to have haha

I think one of the shittiest things about controls between games is that they're always different, whether it's a different controller, same game style but different game, etc. Kinda like how all fighting games have different sets you have to memorize (which is why I don't often stray from my usual fighting games anymore, and why I can't really get into new BlazBlue titles since they always change the controls around), or how every hunting game is literally the same give with different settings and controls. Going frp, Monster Hunter 3rd, then to Monster Hunter 2nd G (I went backwards from 3rd...), then to God Eater 2, then to Toukiden... It gets confusing as hell.

So while controllers can be a problem for people, games' controls can too. It can even be the differences between Halo, Call of Duty and Battlefield. Which is what I'm thinking is going to be wrong with the Steam controller. They can't make it absolutely perfect, because every game has to have a different set-up... I guess that's one thing I love about the mouse and keyboard. Since the games I play most on PC are Fallout and Elder Scrolls, I can always map similar games to use the same exact keys. E to interact, space to jump, tab to open the menu, etc.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I see a lot of fighting games experimenting with different types of controls, I do not think we have quite had a Skate vs Tony Hawk moment yet but I would not be surprised if it happened tomorrow. To that end I am not inclined to say bad things about companies experimenting there, especially when the baseline does seem to be a rather boring memory test.

As for the turbo touch, I had one for my NES. I quite liked it.

icantfeelmyarms

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I see a lot of fighting games experimenting with different types of controls, I do not think we have quite had a Skate vs Tony Hawk moment yet but I would not be surprised if it happened tomorrow. To that end I am not inclined to say bad things about companies experimenting there, especially when the baseline does seem to be a rather boring memory test.

As for the turbo touch, I had one for my NES. I quite liked it.

Yea, that's true. But with Skate vs Tony Hawk, I think the argument could be said Tony Hawk is more of a "fun" game, while Skate is more of a sports simulation type. I loved Tony Hawk (up until 4), and I still go back and play them occasionally, but I also still love to use the more realistic controls in Skate. As for fighting games, at least sequels are usually updated from previous games while still maintaining the gist of the previous game's controls, which is why I had such a problem with BlazBlue. Absolutely loved Calamity Trigger, but then Continuum Shift changed up some controls, followed by CS2 and CS Extend, which had drastically rebalanced everything, changing quite a bit of the controls in the process. That's why I'm not sure if I want to get the newest one... But Dead or Alive for instance, the controls have only gotten better over the years. DoA5U makes it seem like the series has really come a long ways since I played DoA2 on the Dreamcast (damn those Dreamcast controllers though haha), and I'm not talking about graphics. I do like the experimenting, but for me, Street Fighter and BlazBlue love to screw with their old controls a little too much for my taste at least.

And dem turbo buttons. Turbo Touch actually seems really useful for some games though. I never actually owned a NES, myself, so I've only ever played the classic controllers, and no real games that would require such a controller.

On a similar note, I had one of those six-button Genesis controllers. Pretty damn sweet for Mortal Kombat ;^)

shadow1w2

Still here.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
At this point I am reminded of the "how controllers appear to non gaming types" type images, or alternatively how a modern controller might look to someone with NES era sensibilities.

ps4-controller-jpg.33675
If I could buy it I would.
Though for me, not nearly enough buttons or analog inputs. Mwahahaha

Kinda reminds me of this odd controller for racing games.
81zNuh-4C6L._SL1500_.jpg

Overall though I can see what Valve is aiming for and I think its a wonderful idea.
Instead of a controller just for console gaming its meant for more precise control PC gaming expects.
Though I'm hoping for a touch screen deluxe edition I do like how they are going for the fully customizable and universal approach.
Touch pads might just be the thing to work even if I am skeptical of it myself I can see myself playing heavy keyboard and mouse games on that thing more and then swapping it out for a traditional style controller when I want some straight button to action control.
Usually I get out an arcade pad if I need precise digital input though.

However I'll be pleasantly surprised if they find a way for the controller to work on both the PC keyboard style and traditional style together.
Which seems like they might just find that given they are taking the time for it.
I'm willing to wait, just hope they get the d-pad thing sorted out and some analog triggers.
The touch pads I'll give it a good and I hope their idea will work.
Also I'm rather glad they are going to the trouble, its time for some new ideas and I'm happy to see them at it.
If it bombs no biggie as I'm sure they'll have a chance to make another.
Also hoping to see a lot of third party variants and maybe some new PC joystick driver standards down the road.

So ya Valve, take your time, I wanna see your best shot.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95eUhuR8_ps