Hacking UStealth - Wii U 'Format Disk' Nag workaround :)

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
unhide the drive, then open the drive in a hex editor, allow write privileges, and change 55 AA to 55 AB. it will then be hidden. it's at the bottom of sector 0.

Pysis

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just wanted to add my CLI method since I hadn't seen it mentioned here before, and it requires less setup if you already have that environment that trying to run others' applications.
This should work in Linux, Mac, Windows with Cygwin or possibly with some MinGW/msys tools that include the `dd` command.

First I manually identified which device descriptor matched the drive I wanted to work with:
- `cat /proc/partitions`
- `lsblk`
- `sudo fdisk --list 2>&1 | grep -iP '^Disk /dev/sd'`
Then I made a backup of the boot sector(s) for the device:
- `sudo dd if=/dev/sdX of=(read) bs=1M count=1 status=progress`
I viewed the current value:
- `sudo dd if=/dev/sdh bs=1 skip=510 count=2 status=none | xxd -p`
Enable 'stealth mode':
- `echo -n '55ab' | xxd -r -p | sudo dd of=/dev/sdh bs=1 seek=510 status=progress`
Disable 'stealth mode':
- `echo -n '55aa' | xxd -r -p | sudo dd of=/dev/sdh bs=1 seek=510 status=progress`
This seems to be near the end of the first sector, which is the boot sector for MBR. GPT uses the next one. I backup both, and even well more than that to be safe. Each should be 512 bytes in size.

I also found a similar value located in the first sector of the partition too. I think it was at a similar address, just offset by the partition start. Without searching for and understanding storage drive/filesystem, specifications, I made the change only for the entire drive in the appropriate area.

Reactions: godreborn

elk1007

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am wondering if anyone has a Nintendont channel WUP that works with UStealth?
If I boot HBC on vWii, and then launch Nintedont ,my UStealth hidden drive works great.
If I inject that same dol using Teconmoon VC Inject, the USB drive is not found.

Any advice? Is VC disabling USB support?

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes i did that and still nothing, but someone directed me to a homebrew app to install called USBhide
change the last byte in sector 0 using hxd from 55 AA to 55 AB. if it still doesn't work, something is likely wrong with the boot sector, which you can use test drive to fix.

elk1007

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes i did that and still nothing, but someone directed me to a homebrew app to install called USBhide

Glad you found a solution.
I'm just curious, if you use UStealth and then remove/resinsert the drive, does it day "format drive to use" ?

I'm asking because, iirc, the drive is hidden on next mount.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
go into HxD, the hex editor, load the drive, check the box to make it writable, then change 55 AA to 55 AB at the bottom of sector 0. that's all hiding a drive is doing. if it doesn't work, you need to fix the boot sector.

Reactions: SaulFabre

SaulFabre

I like Yoshis and the Wii/Wii U scene.
Trophies
Website
saulfabreg-wiivc.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Ecuador
go into HxD, the hex editor, load the drive, check the box to make it writable, then change 55 AA to 55 AB at the bottom of sector 0. that's all hiding a drive is doing. if it doesn't work, you need to fix the boot sector.
but how to load the drive with HxD?
In what exact offset need to be edited 55 AA to 55 AB?

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm trying to research this using a small drive of mine. I think there are some drives, in almost all cases they're flash drives, that will not hide for some reason, even with the edits to the disk. it will say hidden, but the drive still shows up if you unplug it, then plug it back in.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/fRENPoVaZHk?si=0xgCyaSVzuc5GD5F