Gaming Using two protocols (WPA2 and WEP) on one router

Hebon

Dabbling in the videogamagical
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've heard that it's possible to make my router use two protocols at once, basically sending two different signals at once, one WEP and the other WPA2.

Is this possible? How can I do this? I want to have a secure network for my computer, but I need the WEP for my ds...

Or rather, could I use my laptop as an FTP server? How would I do that on Windows XP? It wouldn't be connected to the internet, I would just use it for backup purposes.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I don't know about the 2 protocol at the same time.

About your network, why do you want to use it as an ftp server, it could be easier to just share folders between both computers if it's for storage purpose only.
Or maybe you think about using FTP instead of share folders for security login while using WEP only on your router ?

Well, unless you use SSL FTP connection, the transmitted packets could be intercepted and if someone pirate your WEP it will also read your FTP login and password.
FTP is not more secure than network share if it's not encrypted.

Best way would be to connect both computers through Ethernet.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you cant do this as far as I know with a single router, it requires a second router

but just by adding WEP, the WPA2 is pointless as your broadcasting both

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Well, if you're going to have an unsafe protocol like WEP around anyway, why even care about using WPA2? If people want to get access into your network, they'll just crack the WEP and go ahead, directly ignoring the WPA2.

And as for electronics go, everything which has WPA2 support out there, also supports WEP.

ronfar23x

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Joe88 is right. You can only have one security protocol at any given time on a single router.

You can have either WPA2 or WEP, but not both without a second router.

Sperion

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
ronfar23x said:
Joe88 is right. You can only have one security protocol at any given time on a single router.

You can have either WPA2 or WEP, but not both without a second router.

not true, if you flash your router with a custom firmware like dd-wrt you can create a virtual network with a different security type, but just like raulpica said, you have an unsafe protocol in your network so it doesnt help you much

Jiggah

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It depends on the router. Most of the newer routers, especially the more expensive ones, do not have a problem with running WPA2 and WEP together. Mine has an WPA2 on N, WPA on G, and WEP as Guest.

The third party firmware helps, but only if your hardware supports it.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
My Belkin N1 Vision has WPA2, with WEP for the guest SSID. I can change the guest security to anything, but I picked WEP specifically for DS use.

Most routers won't feature multiple SSIDs, but some do. Just look for a router that features it if you need it, or use a secondary WiFi AP for the second SSID (e.g. using a WiFi dongle on a computer).

Hebon

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wasn't clear, and I'm sorry about that.

I want to access my m3 sakura using FTP, but I can only do that on WEP, But I don't want to sacrifice the security of my computer WAP2.

It's like this. I want to use WAP2 from my router to my computer, while at the same time using WEP from my router to my DS.

Is this still unsafe? Are there better alternatives? It doesn't need to be FTP if there is a better alternative.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It is not ideal but I imagine you will not want to be using the DS all the time- just program all wireless clients to fall back to WEP if you can. Provided people are not always on something like IRC (instead just web surfing or something) then always on connections are not that necessary.

After that lock down the router using other security methods (mac filtering, firewalls to nowhere, QOS restrictions if you can and the like)- granted I and most of the others posting know loads of ways around such things but for short periods against would be script kiddies you should be safe enough.

+1 to the "yeah there are dual network routers but they are rare and annoying to set up".

Option 2- buy a second router (or indeed relieve somebody of their ISP provided piece of junk- you do not need the ADSL or cable side of things and the standard networking components should work fine- just remember to disable DCHP for the second router) and only connect it/turn on wireless as and when. That is what most of us do if we are worried about such things.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yes its unsafe

its like having a steel door (WPA2) on your house then installing a screen door (WEP) right next to it
someone will just enter(break open) the screen door and not even bother with the steel door

if you turn the WEP off after you use it, then it shouldnt be that much of a problem

Aijelsop

Question Asker
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WEP is just as safe as WPA2. Who is really going to spend hours on their Linux which they probably don't even know what it is hacking into your WPA2? WEP is just as secure.

I change mine all the time. I only change it back to WPA2 because I'd have to keep changing the password back and forth for my mom's laptop.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Unsafe... from what? Internet leachers or hackers targetting your computers?

Safety depends on your setup and layers of security. Using a guest SSID typically isolates any infiltration attempts, but can't stop network sniffers from discovering the key and leaching your internet. The guest SSID cannot connect to the same network as the normal SSID though - it's basically just a second gateway to the internet.

I don't know about Jiggah's configuration though - I've never heard of WiFi N and G getting different encryption protocols.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
WEP is just as safe as WPA2.
Perfect example of ignorance. WEP is not safe by any stretch or measure. Certain WEP routers can be hacked in less than 10 minutes, whilst others take up to an hour. Packet sniffing, packet hijacking, dictionary attacks and brute force attacks are just a few of the ways to hack it, and they are all well documented.

WPA2 can actually be hacked too, but the method was never released to the internet.

EDIT: Sorry for the double post.

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You can only do that with two routers. But two routers running at the same time may cause interference to both Wifi (unless you use two different frequency 2.4/5GHz).

mad567

D. Gregar
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
Greece
Well it's kinda stupid to have WPA and WEP together....
What i do to play with my ds?
I bookmarked the routers wireless settings on my ipod so everytime I want to use wifi i change the key with one click..
wink.gif

However I would prefer to connect it with a soft ap from pc. But i have windows 7 ultimate and doesn't let me to have a wep key security for my ap...

Hebon

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just realized that my Mac has the capability to be a wifi point. I remember the reason I had gotten a router in stead of using the mac was the fact that the mac wouldn't let me use WPA2 security, only WEP. I guess I can use that from now on.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/d9wnSq_aP-0?si=T9bdloMD2dGzvnbf