Risks of using Internet with WindowsXP in 2020s?

Dungeonseeker

Trophies
XP
Country
Seeing as everyone else has covered the risks I'll cover why its dumb (aside from malware).

If you laptop is not powerful enough to run anything newer then there really is no point sticking to XP at all, your low powered lappy isn't gonna be setting 3DMark scores either so the obvious thing is to ditch the 23 year old OS and jump onto Linux. There are plenty of low sys-req distros around that will not only browse the web faster and more securely than XP but will also improve the overall system speed dramatically too. Even if you've heard horror stories about how bad Linux is as a desktop OS I assure you, for office stuff, browsing the web and other general tasks something like XFCE or LXQT will offer you more than Windows and will do those basic tasks better too.

Running XP is pretty dumb when Linux will offer you a system that's a few years out of date tops over a few decades as is the case with XP. Remember though, it won't perform miracles, YouTube is probably still going to run at 5 seconds per frame.

Reactions: Micolash

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
If you laptop is not powerful enough to run anything newer then there really is no point sticking to XP at all,
Nostalgic feelings maybe? One of my main reasons.
I know, that doesn't count it the eyes of many people and might trigger sarcastic replies.

But there are more factual reasons for using 32 bit Windows XP over newer operating systems even on relatively powerful computers:

It's not quite like DOS based Windows, but does allow some direct hardware access, supports a variety of old peripherals and will allow running old games, which fail because of rancid optical disc protections. Windows 10 prevents certain advanced emulation functions in this direction.
Most 16 bit software will also work well with XP.
Linux can't compete with compatibility to obscure and/or old Windows software or drivers in this regard.

Running XP is pretty dumb when Linux will offer you a system that's a few years out of date tops over a few decades as is the case with XP
A relatively modern Linux distribution has completely different areas of use and both can be on one PC at the same time. → :)

YouTube is probably still going to run at 5 seconds per frame.
Sadly true for weak systems without hardware assisted h.264.
Better old systems might be able to perform it in software (the Wii for example can handle certain 480p videos – some older laptops might do it as well)
Probably more luck playing downloaded videos in VLC than in a browser with the YouTube scripts going mad in the background.

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
But there are more factual reasons for using 32 bit Windows XP over newer operating systems even on relatively powerful computers:

It's not quite like DOS based Windows, but does allow some direct hardware access, supports a variety of old peripherals and will allow running old games, which fail because of rancid optical disc protections. Windows 10 prevents certain advanced emulation functions in this direction.
Most 16 bit software will also work well with XP.
On the other hand, if there's a choice between a computer with underpowered 3D acceleration and a virtual machine on a significantly powerful computer, there's not much reason not to go with the virtual machine, especially when it comes to XP.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
On the other hand, if there's a choice between a computer with underpowered 3D acceleration and a virtual machine on a significantly powerful computer, there's not much reason not to go with the virtual machine, especially when it comes to XP.
Hmmmhm. No? It's just not the same!
Running DOS 3.3 was something different doing it on an original IBM XT compared to doing the same in a "perfect" emulator (and all the MFM HDDs are defective now…)

And the old hardware support aspect isn't convincing with virtual machines. Okay, this thread is about a laptop which limits hardware to USB, which can be connected to VMs somehow. (Maybe PCMCIA/Express Card if you are lucky).
If talking about desktop PCs with the possibility to connect all sorts of old PCI cards I fail seeing virtual machines as a valid replacement.
Just because most (all?) things can be done differently, that doesn't make a laptop with XP useless.
"Old = obsolete → MOVE ON!!! " No, thanks.

Same with the statement above: "Modern Linux is better than Win XP!" → Why not both?
"Virtual Machine is better than weak old laptop!" → Why not both?

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
Exactly what are the risks of using an old laptop for internet browsing?
I can't seem to find proper information other than "huuur it will infect with virus"... but ain't that the risks of any computer capable of Internet browsing?

Having this question because I'm trying to update and download stuff in a WinXP lap, and I'm tired of connecting and disconnecting my USB from my Win10 lap to the old one back and forth everytime I need to transfer files. And I was wondering if I can just simply connect the old laptop to Wi-Fi and just download what I need.

Is it as risky as "once you load Google you're fucked" or as risky as common sense is? That is, don't download pirate software, don't browse sketchy sites, etc.

EDIT: Also, would like to use the old laptop to download and save and view PDF files.

One option to consider is FTP, this way you can restrict network access but still relatively easily transfer files.

I use a free gui FTP server called xlight on my W10 machines and software like filezilla to download files to my older computers.

It's not perfect, but it avoids some of the various hassles of using old OSs online, not even security security but things like compatibility, speed, etc.

ELY_M

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Windows XP without patches and SP2 are vulnerable to DCOM exploit. I am not sure if people are still scanning for DCOM exploit and inject trojans and bots. there is countless exploits in windows xp that pc easily get viruses.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto