Hacking Using microSDHC cards on computers with SD readers

k4ever

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1-My computer only has a slot for reading SD cards.
2-I have a USB reader that came with my Acekard 2.1.
3-I think I bought a fake 4GB sandisk microsdhc card.

When I use the microsdhc card with the USB reader, the computer has no problems reading it. Is this normal? I read somewhere that by using a USB adapter, you trick the cpu into thinking that it's just another harddrive, so that's why there is no problem with the pc reading it ( although it will only work with up to 8gb microsdhc cards ). Or did my computer read it because since the card is fake, maybe is just a microSD card with less than 2gb that got tweaked to look like a 4gb one.
I used an original class 6 4gb a-data microsdhc card with the USB adapter, and even though everything went good at first, after some file transfering, I started getting a lot of errors and pc freezings, and later the card became corrupted and died.

So, what was the cause of the errors and freezings?
A- Was it that my computer can't read SDHC cards at all?
B- Was it that the a-data card was not compatible with my computer?

What do you think?

I need to get a new micro card but don't know which one to get. I can get an original 2GB sandisk microsdhc card at FRYs for 10 bucks, or I can get an original 4gb kingston microsdhc for 10-12 dollars at newegg ( but with the doubt that it won't be compatible with my computer ).

Lazycus

Rotten
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I think you killed the adata card by plugging/unplugging it (or the USB TF reader it was in) without powering it down ("Safely remove hardware") properly.

Either your SD reader (be it built into the PC or a USB device) is SDHC compatible or it's not. In my case I have a USB SD card reader that is not SDHC compatible. Putting a SDHC card in it (either regular size or micro-SD with an adapter) confuses my PC with WinXP on it for a few minutes until it gives up and ignores it. I also have a USB microSD card reader that came with my CycloDS. That one is SDHC compatible and of course my computer has no problem with it. I think your computer will have no problem reading a SDHC card if you have a proper reader.

k4ever

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lazycus said:
I think you killed the adata card by plugging/unplugging it (or the USB TF reader it was in) without powering it down ("Safely remove hardware") properly.

Either your SD reader (be it built into the PC or a USB device) is SDHC compatible or it's not. In my case I have a USB SD card reader that is not SDHC compatible. Putting a SDHC card in it (either regular size or micro-SD with an adapter) confuses my PC with WinXP on it for a few minutes until it gives up and ignores it. I also have a USB microSD card reader that came with my CycloDS. That one is SDHC compatible and of course my computer has no problem with it. I think your computer will have no problem reading a SDHC card if you have a proper reader.

You have some interesting points there, thx for the reply. I'm not sure what type of USB microsd adapter I got with the acekard. Since the acekard support SDHC and since I havent seen complaints from the users ( most people use sdhc and they havent had issues ), my guess is that that USB adapter supports sdhc.
The freezing screens started right after writing some files into the card. I didnt have any other option rather than taking the whole thing out, so it didnt happened viceversa.
So many factors to test, geez =(

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: https://imgur.com/gallery/L7XokiY