Hacking USB pen drives

Wiisel

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I need to get some pendrives for installing wads and using with apps that support them can they be over 2GB if so what is the max?
also if they are limited to say 2GB is the wii capable of reading two (one in each usb) allowing me to access 4GB?

basically i want to max out SD and USB storage.

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Wiisel said:
I need to get some pendrives for installing wads and using with apps that support them can they be over 2GB if so what is the max?
also if they are limited to say 2GB is the wii capable of reading two (one in each usb) allowing me to access 4GB?

basically i want to max out SD and USB storage.

I think most homebew software just uses the 1st usb device, if it uses usb at all. I'm not sure, but i think there is no limit, the device only has to be fat formatted. So an external usb harddrive(FAT formatted) or a SDHC card should be possible alternatives for more storage.

IronMask

Official WiiStuntman First to Test ciosCorp!
Trophies
Website
ironmaskshideout.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
I have a dedicated USB 16GB SanDisk pendrive that works perfect...

*** Just remember - If you have a lot of roms, you will want to break them down in folders... (Example - [A-E], [F-K], [L-R], [S-Z]... something like that... I have all of the roms for each emulator and have found this to be the best way to load the roms when using the USB supported on the Emus that have it.

Wiisel

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
IronMask said:

*** Just remember - If you have a lot of roms, you will want to break them down in folders... (Example - [A-E], [F-K], [L-R], [S-Z]... something like that... I have all of the roms for each emulator and have found this to be the best way to load the roms when using the USB supported on the Emus that have it.

have you filled the drive and had the wii read the whole 16GB from various apps?

Tichinde925

Marth Ditto Money Match?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
IronMask said:

I dont have to break them down.

If you use a classic controller, you can use the L & R buttons to scroll through the pages on some of the Emulators. I like seeing a mass wall of text when looking at roms.

TriLLioN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
this might be a really noobie question, but i just got my first disk drive USB 2.0 this Christmas. It holds about 300GB. My computer's already full(It can't carry any more memory and space), so I had to put some of my backed up games (ISOs) to my USB 2.0. It's about 4.7GB and my USB's about 300GB but when I tried to transfer it in it says:

The file 'Game name' is too large for the destination file system

I'm running on Vista, I think it doesn't matter if I'm on XP, Vista or something else but just wanted to tell you guys that I'm on Vista. Could anyone help?

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
TriLLioN said:
this might be a really noobie question, but i just got my first disk drive USB 2.0 this Christmas. It holds about 300GB. My computer's already full(It can't carry any more memory and space), so I had to put some of my backed up games (ISOs) to my USB 2.0. It's about 4.7GB and my USB's about 300GB but when I tried to transfer it in it says:

I'm running on Vista, I think it doesn't matter if I'm on XP, Vista or something else but just wanted to tell you guys that I'm on Vista. Could anyone help?

FAT doesn't support files larger than 4 GB. And NTFS is not supported by homebrew applications(linux based media players don't count).

TriLLioN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WiiPower said:
TriLLioN said:

FAT doesn't support files larger than 4 GB. And NTFS is not supported by homebrew applications(linux based media players don't count).
so would I have to use Wii scrubber or w/e it was to shrink it? XD Okay, thanks!

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
TriLLioN said:
so would I have to use Wii scrubber or w/e it was to shrink it? XD Okay, thanks!

Possible solutions are transforming FAT to NTFS and WinRAR for example. With WinRAR you should be able to get these annoying r00, r01, r02 ... files. I think Scrubbing is a bad idea, it doesn't work for all games and then the game isn't a real 1:1 copy anymore. I know a scrubbed version works fine, but i'm not optimistic enough to think this will be forever.

IronMask

Official WiiStuntman First to Test ciosCorp!
Trophies
Website
ironmaskshideout.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
Here's a suggestion that will work for you Trillion...

Only store the WII games on the new HD in RARed form.. that way the game will be stored in smaller files to work with your new drive and then when you want to burn a certain game out of your library just unrar it to the main hard drive that should now be cleaned since you can move some stuff off on to the new one... it's an extra step to burning...yet it will be easier and less chance of the iso getting corrupted somehow by having them RARed up in storage.

This is exactly how I do it on a couple of my HDs I keep my library on... and I keep like the top 20 .iso's on my /C drive just for ready access burning... you may have to choose less of the top games because of your HD space limitations on that HD.

About the USB flash drives... yes I have had my 16gb flashdrive loaded of roms and media full for different apps working flawlessly. Well..almost!
wink.gif

Hope this helps...

TriLLioN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
IronMask said:
Here's a suggestion that will work for you Trillion...

Only store the WII games on the new HD in RARed form.. that way the game will be stored in smaller files to work with your new drive and then when you want to burn a certain game out of your library just unrar it to the main hard drive that should now be cleaned since you can move some stuff off on to the new one... it's an extra step to burning...yet it will be easier and less chance of the iso getting corrupted somehow by having them RARed up in storage.

This is exactly how I do it on a couple of my HDs I keep my library on... and I keep like the top 20 .iso's on my /C drive just for ready access burning... you may have to choose less of the top games because of your HD space limitations on that HD.

About the USB flash drives... yes I have had my 16gb flashdrive loaded of roms and media full for different apps working flawlessly. Well..almost!
wink.gif

Hope this helps...

Thanks IronMask! Great stuff you posted there
biggrin.gif

thawkins1

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You could always partition your USB HDD make one partition NTFS and one FAT, I have no idea if this will work with homebrew apps but I know it reads both partitions, worth a try. If you have Vista there is a built in partitioning tool "Disk Management".

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
quincy_xD said:
I can use my 4TB ExtHDD on the wii!

Dunno how but i can

Is the HDD FAT, NTFS or ext3 formatted? Are the applications which are able to use your HDD linux based media players?

Tichinde925

Marth Ditto Money Match?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
For storage solutions...why not just burn the .ISOs to Data DVDs.

Then whenever you need to burn a game, just put the dvd in, move the .iso over, and then burn it.

DVDs are cheaper and dont take up space on the Harddrive. Plus the Data backups of the .isos should be in perfect condition because your not using them at all. You only need to use them when you have to reburn a game.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nah, a hit gives them mad meth powers, but makes them more difficult to control.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Before a hit they're like zombies, persistent but slow.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a tradeoff.
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    no i mean, before a hit is after the previous hit
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    if you keep them well enough fed, it's the same thing
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    By the power of Florida Man, I have the power!!! *Lifts up meth pipe* Meth Man!!! lol
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Guys, I just learned my little brother is in the hospital because he had a seizure last night.
  • cearp @ cearp:
    Sorry to hear that BakerMan
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Just found out he's doing alright, doing a lot of complaining too, rightfully so. Who wouldn't complain after having a seizure and being hospitalized?
    +1
    Glad he is OK and complaining is cool :)
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah been there had that no fun
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They'll give him sleep studies eegs and possibly one week hospital stay
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    I hope it's not a week.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's standard so doctors can get a idea about what's going on
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    understood
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    well, i'm glad he seems to be doing fine, and ig i'm going to start spewing goofy shit again
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Update: Turns out he's epileptic
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Get a 2nd opinion run mris etc they told me that also
    Also a food allergy study would be a good idea
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Turns out you can't sprinkle methamphetamine on McDonald's French fries
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    they wouldn't be called french fries at that point
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Probably just meth fries