USB pen drives

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Wiisel, Dec 26, 2008.

Dec 26, 2008

USB pen drives by Wiisel at 2:48 PM (1,814 Views / 0 Likes) 17 replies

1. Wiisel
    OP

Member Wiisel GBAtemp Maniac

United Kingdom
    I need to get some pendrives for installing wads and using with apps that support them can they be over 2GB if so what is the max?
    also if they are limited to say 2GB is the wii capable of reading two (one in each usb) allowing me to access 4GB?

basically i want to max out SD and USB storage.

2. WiiPower

Member WiiPower GBAtemp Guru

Germany
    I think most homebew software just uses the 1st usb device, if it uses usb at all. I'm not sure, but i think there is no limit, the device only has to be fat formatted. So an external usb harddrive(FAT formatted) or a SDHC card should be possible alternatives for more storage.

3. IronMask

Member IronMask Official WiiStuntman First to Test ciosCorp!

United States
    I have a dedicated USB 16GB SanDisk pendrive that works perfect...

*** Just remember - If you have a lot of roms, you will want to break them down in folders... (Example - [A-E], [F-K], [L-R], [S-Z]... something like that... I have all of the roms for each emulator and have found this to be the best way to load the roms when using the USB supported on the Emus that have it.

4. Wiisel
    OP

Member Wiisel GBAtemp Maniac

United Kingdom
    have you filled the drive and had the wii read the whole 16GB from various apps?

5. Tichinde925

Member Tichinde925 Marth Ditto Money Match?

United States
    I dont have to break them down.

If you use a classic controller, you can use the L & R buttons to scroll through the pages on some of the Emulators. I like seeing a mass wall of text when looking at roms.

6. kashin

Member kashin GBAtemp Fan

Netherlands
    Yup, my 8GB pendrive works wonderfully (It's stuffed completely). Great for watching movies through the media player!

7. TriLLioN

Member TriLLioN GBAtemp Regular

United States
    this might be a really noobie question, but i just got my first disk drive USB 2.0 this Christmas. It holds about 300GB. My computer's already full(It can't carry any more memory and space), so I had to put some of my backed up games (ISOs) to my USB 2.0. It's about 4.7GB and my USB's about 300GB but when I tried to transfer it in it says:

The file 'Game name' is too large for the destination file system

I'm running on Vista, I think it doesn't matter if I'm on XP, Vista or something else but just wanted to tell you guys that I'm on Vista. Could anyone help?

8. WiiPower

Germany
    FAT doesn't support files larger than 4 GB. And NTFS is not supported by homebrew applications(linux based media players don't count).

9. TriLLioN

United States
    so would I have to use Wii scrubber or w/e it was to shrink it? XD Okay, thanks!

10. WiiPower

Germany
    Possible solutions are transforming FAT to NTFS and WinRAR for example. With WinRAR you should be able to get these annoying r00, r01, r02 ... files. I think Scrubbing is a bad idea, it doesn't work for all games and then the game isn't a real 1:1 copy anymore. I know a scrubbed version works fine, but i'm not optimistic enough to think this will be forever.

11. IronMask

United States
    Here's a suggestion that will work for you Trillion...

Only store the WII games on the new HD in RARed form.. that way the game will be stored in smaller files to work with your new drive and then when you want to burn a certain game out of your library just unrar it to the main hard drive that should now be cleaned since you can move some stuff off on to the new one... it's an extra step to burning...yet it will be easier and less chance of the iso getting corrupted somehow by having them RARed up in storage.

This is exactly how I do it on a couple of my HDs I keep my library on... and I keep like the top 20 .iso's on my /C drive just for ready access burning... you may have to choose less of the top games because of your HD space limitations on that HD.

About the USB flash drives... yes I have had my 16gb flashdrive loaded of roms and media full for different apps working flawlessly. Well..almost! [​IMG]

Hope this helps...

12. TriLLioN

United States
    Thanks IronMask! Great stuff you posted there [​IMG]

13. Quincy

Member Quincy Your own personal guitarist :3

Netherlands
    I can use my 4gb ExtHDD on the wii!

Dunno how but i can

14. thawkins1

Member thawkins1 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    You could always partition your USB HDD make one partition NTFS and one FAT, I have no idea if this will work with homebrew apps but I know it reads both partitions, worth a try. If you have Vista there is a built in partitioning tool "Disk Management".

15. WiiPower

Germany
    Is the HDD FAT, NTFS or ext3 formatted? Are the applications which are able to use your HDD linux based media players?

16. Quincy

Member Quincy Your own personal guitarist :3

Netherlands
    NTFS...and i typoed i meant 4gb

17. Tichinde925

Member Tichinde925 Marth Ditto Money Match?

United States
    For storage solutions...why not just burn the .ISOs to Data DVDs.

Then whenever you need to burn a game, just put the dvd in, move the .iso over, and then burn it.

DVDs are cheaper and dont take up space on the Harddrive. Plus the Data backups of the .isos should be in perfect condition because your not using them at all. You only need to use them when you have to reburn a game.

18. IronMask

United States
    Well there's plenty of choices for you to now choose from Trillion...