Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
don't do it if you don't want.
that was just a hint in case you wanted to do some tests.

Modmii has a guide to do it, you should use it. Wiibrew might be old.
making a NAND dump before attempting region change is safer.
You have a retail disc with X, right?

Zonta85

Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
Italy
don't do it if you don't want.
that was just a hint in case you wanted to do some tests.

Modmii has a guide to do it, you should use it. Wiibrew might be old.
But I want to, I like this kind of tests :D
I will use modmii then.

Edit @Cyan Yes I have a retail disc with X, but I forgot that I have also installed a wiikey back in the days.
Do you know if with the config disc is possible to disable the regionfree?

Last edited by Zonta85,

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I also have a Wiikey1, but sorry I don't remember if the region free was a setting, or if it was always enabled.
And if there's a setting, I never tested to disable it to see if the setting worked fine.

Zonta85

Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
Italy
Apparently, as I read in another topic ( https://gbatemp.net/threads/is-there-a-way-to-disable-my-wiikey.291907/) changing region in the system menu without changing the wiikey region (with setup and update disc) makes a sort of mismatch and the wiikey wont load any kind of game:
I region changed Wii to Japan and my retail Japan games won't load, but they load in European system menu with wiikey.
I cannot change the region of the chip because my Wii lens is dead and it reads only retail discs, so I cannot tests if X games are region free.
I'm going to buy a new lens and let you know.

Retro_Mod_Gamer

Niche List Enthusiast
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So I changed the globalsettings.cfg file's value to 0USBSLOT to try to force it to load from slot 0 and i'm still getting the mounting usb port to 1 error, is there a specific revision that might work for me better than r1260? I can't get r1268 to load Wii games or boot to nintendont.

GartimusPrime

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, so here I go. First off I know everyone probably says things like I am going to say to try to make people feel sorry for them but I am at my wit's end.
Many years ago, I modified my Wii to play backups on a 3tb WD MyBook. I formatted it Fat32 with 32kb clusters and what not and have been using it for years with no issue.
A few weeks ago, some close friends of my family got a used Wii and asked if I could set it up the same as mine and I agreed. Not thinking or paying attention I directed them to a HDD on Amazon I thought would work but come to find out it was a portable HDD and it didn't work. They returned it and I directed them to a MyBook, like mine but 4tb.
Before anyone says anything, I know it's "Overkill" but it was on a really good sale and I figured they could use it for music and photos as well or whatever they want really.
Anywyas, they got it and I can not get the stupid thing to work for the life of me. My head is spinning with what I should format it to and how. GParted won't let me check the cluster size and I can't format the whole thing to fat32.
Any thoughts or did I embarrass myself with my friends?

Hakaisha

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I currently use a 4TB WD My Passport formatted to FAT32 for my setup. I used EaseUS Partition Master to format it to FAT32, MBR, with 64kb clusters. 32kb clusters seemingly only allowed for 2 separate 2TB partitions on the drive. I keep my SD card formatted to FAT32 in 32KB clusters for emunand usage.

I imagine My Book and My Passport couldn't possibly be too different?

Last edited by Hakaisha,
Reactions: GartimusPrime

GartimusPrime

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I currently use a 4TB WD My Passport formatted to FAT32 for my setup. I used EaseUS Partition Master to format it to FAT32, MBR, with 64kb clusters. 32kb clusters seemingly only allowed for 2 separate 2TB partitions on the drive. I keep my SD card formatted to FAT32 in 32KB clusters for emunand usage.

I imagine My Book and My Passport couldn't possibly be too different?
It won't let me change it to MBR, or I don't know how. If I try to format to fat32 with easeus it makes it 2tb limit
Is it possible to just format it to NTFS and use it with GX?

Last edited by GartimusPrime,

Deleted member 397813

Global Dingus
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It won't let me change it to MBR, or I don't know how. If I try to format to fat32 with easeus it makes it 2tb limit
Is it possible to just format it to NTFS and use it with GX?
no. you must format it to fat32. there are a few programs that allow you to format 1tb+ hard drives.

Reactions: GartimusPrime

GartimusPrime

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you can use NTFS, but it will work only with Wii games. no gamecube games or emuNAND, and some homebrew will not work either.
My friends have no interest in GameCube games or emunand so that is fine. What about emulators? If not, I can still utilize SD for that, correct?
With NTFS format is there anything special, such as cluster size or do I just format to NTFS?

Arecaidian Fox

fox-ott
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Silly question, but will we see anything like a "final 3.0 update" soon? Something to address the small QoL things, like in-app updating and the "space on disk" display not working? I'm not sure if there's more major development planned for USBLGX, like a 4.0 or something, but it would be nice to have a 3.0 with a bit more polish (no offense).

GartimusPrime

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yes, you can use SD if they don't work with ntfs.

with NTFS, don't enable the compression option.
I think that's all you need to care about.

So, I got it too work finally with fat32, interestingly enough I can only use 2gb out of the the 4gb but I don't really care at this point. Emulators work great, which is awesome! USB Loader GX loads and all my games show up. Strangely enough, some of the games are a black screen but with sound. I can't seem to find anything about how to fix it.

Also, the Lego games load and play but the controls stop working. And I can't access the wii menu to exit the game.

Last edited by GartimusPrime,

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
2GB limit : you probably use MBR (32bit) partition table, instead of GPT (64 bit). If it's fine for you, you can keep MBR but you'll waste half the HDD size, that's too bad.
if you convert it to GPT (with a partition manager) you might have to reformat it and lose all your data, but you'll be able to format it to 4GB. Make a single partition, or 2 FAT32 (don't mix FAT32+NTFS because USBLoaderGX has a bug...sorry about that).

blackscreen with audio : You probably messed with the video options trying to fix your previous incompatibility issue?
try to reset the loader's settings (setting > reset), or delete the loader's folder on SD card and reinstall.

if you still have blackscreen after setting reset, we will investigate. You'll have to provide more information (game name, region, console region, video settings, etc.)

ALL Lego games, on ALL consoles, have a game freeze bug with buzzing sound. It might be that problem. Or it's a wrong cIOS you are using. please post a syscheck :)

lucaswoop

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello, sorry if this is a stupid question, but how do I get usb loader to display gamecube games stretched? With nintendont by itself I just turn on wii u widescreen and set the video width to 718, but idk how to do that here. I'd appreciate any help I could get, thank you.

lucaswoop

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@lucaswoop :

To display the gamecube games with USB loader gx, go to the fourth icon at the top of the USB LOADER GX menu, then check the corresponding boxes.
Thanks, but that's not what I'm asking. I can play gc games through usb loader, but I want the games to fit the screen entirely like I can do with nintendont alone. I have wii u widescreen enabled in usb loader gx, but I can't get it to fill the sides of the screen completely.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: @BakerMan can one play cod from hen ps3?