• Likes 48

doncaruana

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nunavat2010 said:
I tried to rip my SSBB (6.9GB) retail disc to ext4 partitions. After about 45 minutes it had done only 3.9% so I stopped it and copied the .wbfs file that I had ripped earlier to wbfs partition from CFG and played without any problem.
Ripping to ext4 takes long time, playback is no different, may be everybody knew that. I am just checking ntfs or ext4?. Everybody knows fat32 is best.

What do you mean fat32 is best? Actually NTFS is the fastest for ripping in my experience - about twice as fast as FAT32. And I've never noticed a difference in playing/loading times.

nunavat2010

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
dimok said:
The write speed on ext partitions is really really slow. Its a problem in the library. The ext4 support is experimental because its not very stable, especially for writing.

See here for more information:
This is the original library:
http://e2fsprogs.sourceforge.net/ext2.html

This is the Wii port of the library:
http://code.google.com/p/libext2fs-wii/
Wow! Guru himself came and answer my question! Thank you for the links. I did little search did not come across those links. I am really happy with GX, never had issue, keep up the good work!

nunavat2010

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
doncaruana said:
What do you mean fat32 is best? Actually NTFS is the fastest for ripping in my experience - about twice as fast as FAT32. And I've never noticed a difference in playing/loading times.
Oh, I did not know that. I was being little cautious, did not want to offend FAT32ers and start a religious war in here.

Thanks for the info.

doncaruana

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nunavat2010 said:
doncaruana said:
Oh, I did not know that. I was being little cautious, did not want to offend FAT32ers and start a religious war in here.

Thanks for the info.

I'm sure someone will get all worked up and flame me, you, or both of us, but that's my experience, at least...
smile.gif

G@meP@d

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Italy
USB Loader GX Release v2.2 is out.

CHANGELOG:
QUOTE said:
USB Loader GX Release V2.2
New:
- Added game categories and filter games list by categories (Can be imported from WiiTDB).
- Wiinertag support.
- Supporting arguments from meta.xml on boot (--ios=xxx and --usbport=x) (Requires Homebrew Channel 1.0.7+ or UNEO Forwarder v3.0).
- New ehci modules by Rodries with better drive compatibility.
- Added two new video modes to force progressive video mode, 'FORCE PAL480p' and 'FORCE NTSC480p'.
- Added Sneek Video Patch mode.
- Added new 'Inherit' setting for game settings named "Use global". If that option is set then the main loader setting is used.
- Full d2x cIOS support with it's new features (Block IOS Reload, Return To, Sector Sizes > 512).
- Support for sector sizes > 512B with FAT32/NTFS (Requires d2x v6+)
- Real support for simultanious use of both USB ports without switching the 2nd drive temporary off (Requires Hermes cIOS or Rodries MOD of the Hermes cIOS (recommended)
- Added two new settings menus
- Added saving of game browser position when returning to USB Loader GX
Changes:
- Improved several GUI controls/navigations
- Changed settings menu layout and sorted the items to their correct place (HDD menu, features menu)
- Set games settings to use the global setting by default, set to "use global" to use the main loader settings.
- Use TinyXML instead of MXML (better XML support)
- Updated to new libs (libogc, libfat, libext2fs, libntfs)
Fix:
- "Return to" option now work for all games, even problematic games like Prince of Persia. (Requires d2x v4+)
- Xflip setting fixed.
- Fix the parental lock of Individual game settings (Thanks to NJ7)
- Fix Theme downloader
- Fixed reset of the loader when loading game with IOS reload and disabled WiiTDB titles
- Fixed timeout timer on startup to count correctly.
- Fixed reversed disc image download when Custom/Original option is selected
- Fixed reload of game list after a game rename
- Fixed horizontal text scrolling
- Fixed booting games by arguments (headless id feature)
- Fixed We Dare game boot (thx oggzee)
New Forwarder V3.0 Changes:
- added support for ext partitions
- added support for arguments from xml
- clean up of source

Official Website

DOWNLOAD

@Dimok
USB Loader GX is the best!
Thanks for your work!

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Oh, it's missing a line in the changelog.

Fix:
Fixed "Block cIOS reload" game setting to allow dol reloading game to work without selecting an alternate dol (Requires d2x v6+).

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
"til last night" doesn't help.
you could use a version from 1 year ago "til last night".

Which version/revision used to work and which one doesn't ?
Did you delete all your config files? (if you had an older version, it's needed)

What is "Game load setting" ?
"Loader setting" in the settings menu, or individual game setting?

plee82

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
doncaruana said:
plee82 said:
How's the write to NTFS (rip to NTFS) support in the latest GX? Is it stable as CFG?
Thanks!

Just my personal experience, but it's perfect and very fast (+6mb/s) using d2x v6

I have my HDD as FAT32 and everything is working fine. I was wondering if there are any advantages on NTFS regarding Filesystem stability (ie. corruption, etc). I alread read FAQ but it didn't mention anything about the actual stability of the filesystem when using with the Wii.

Thanks!

andresayang

Trophies
XP
Country
France
plee82 said:
doncaruana said:
plee82 said:
How's the write to NTFS (rip to NTFS) support in the latest GX? Is it stable as CFG?
Thanks!

Just my personal experience, but it's perfect and very fast (+6mb/s) using d2x v6

I have my HDD as FAT32 and everything is working fine. I was wondering if there are any advantages on NTFS regarding Filesystem stability (ie. corruption, etc). I alread read FAQ but it didn't mention anything about the actual stability of the filesystem when using with the Wii.

Thanks!

Well the advantage of NTFS compare to FAT32 is at least that your are not anymore limited to 4GB for file size (usefull for SSBB or MPT). NTFS with usbloader gx is stable, no problem at all, I have my twO HD formatted in NTFS, and evry games are working perfectly.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I didn't try it yet (the Rodried Mod of Hermes cIOS) so I don't know.
I tested the dual USB port option with Hermes 5.1 and it worked fine, except after playing for a while and returning to the loader (with "return to" enabled), then it tried to switch on both HDD but only one worked.
Maybe Rodries version has a fix for that.

If you don't have Hermes yet, just install rodries mod instead.
If you have Hermes 5.1 already installed, you can try it and use it if you don't encounter any problem, else just update as Dimok said it's recommended.

Sneek video mode patch is the patch function used by Sneek. It's included for completeness, some games may require this mode.

kirbymaster101

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
LOL one thing i noticed for a long time. Im guessing it was intentional but if you load up guitar hero on usblaoder gx the hand stickus up its pinky and index.
man I still cant load masterpieces in ssbb just gives me a black screen even with d2x6 cios.

dimok

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE(G@meP@d @ Jun 30 2011, 01:36 AM) @Dimok
Thanks for your work!
Thanks. I am not working alone though. Cyan is doing quite a lot of work as well
smile.gif

G@meP@d

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Italy
dimok said:
QUOTE(G@meP@d @ Jun 30 2011, 01:36 AM) @Dimok
Thanks for your work!
Thanks. I am not working alone though. Cyan is doing quite a lot of work as well
smile.gif

I'm sorry!
You're right!

@Cyan
Thanks for your tests!
bow.gif

Daileon

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
I have posted on WiinnerTag thread, but I need to do it here too.

Thanks GX team for your support. I have read wonders about the 2.0+ versions, will take a look at it tonight for sure
smile.gif

satanishere

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have good news and bad news. The good news is on v2.2 Japanese is finally working for me. The bad news is that now I constantly get the "could not initialize network" error message when trying to update anything. replicated on 2 different wiis.

edit: if I revert back to v2.1 1080 and the network works fine.

what should I do?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: You can make a post on the DS forum about your findings, and they'll do their best to respond...