• Likes 48

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
I have Devolution in sd/apps/gc_devo and it also has the loader.bin file from the gc_devo_src.zip file in there. What am I supposed to be doing that I'm not?
I think you need to tell it where the loader.bin file is in the custom paths in the settings in GX.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
He needs to explicitly select if he want to use DIOS MIOS or Devolution.
The default mode for GameCube is "MIOS" (the default mode of the Wii). You need to set the GameCube Mode to Devolution if you want to use it, or else it's still trying to launch DIOS MIOS (and doesn't find it installed) so it tells you you don't have it and you need either DIOS MIOS or Devolution installed.
Go either to the main loader's setting to set the GameCube mode to Devolution, or on a per-game basis in the individual Game's settings.

Maybe I should default to Devolution if launched from SD/USB and no DIOS MIOS/QuadForce is detected?
But it could be confusing too, if users don't install DIOS MIOS, and it auto-select Devolution while still having DIOS MIOS selected as an option then users will thing they are using DIOS MIOS!

So, I agree that the message is maybe not fully understandable.
Maybe I'll find something more explicit.

blaisedinsd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1. You enabled it in the feature menu?
2. You disabled "return to" in the loader setting/individual game setting menu?

If you use "return to...the loader" when exiting a game to load a title instead of the system menu, it will not work as it's the system menu which is writing the log file, not the loader.

Weird, it does seem to be working now...it just doesn't seem to show up right away. I guess it just logs the title played but not the play time.

d.d.d.

Trophies
XP
Country
He needs to explicitly select if he want to use DIOS MIOS or Devolution.
The default mode for GameCube is "MIOS" (the default mode of the Wii). You need to set the GameCube Mode to Devolution if you want to use it, or else it's still trying to launch DIOS MIOS (and doesn't find it installed) so it tells you you don't have it and you need either DIOS MIOS or Devolution installed.
Go either to the main loader's setting to set the GameCube mode to Devolution, or on a per-game basis in the individual Game's settings.

Maybe I should default to Devolution if launched from SD/USB and no DIOS MIOS/QuadForce is detected?
But it could be confusing too, if users don't install DIOS MIOS, and it auto-select Devolution while still having DIOS MIOS selected as an option then users will thing they are using DIOS MIOS!

So, I agree that the message is maybe not fully understandable.
Maybe I'll find something more explicit.

Then I did remember correctly. USBLGX defaults to MIOS and DM is installed to MIOS so it's very easy with DM to load GC games.
The error message isn't bad but maybe something like this:
Error: Install DIOS MIOS (default) OR Devolution (and set loader.bin) to launch GC games from USB or SD
I think the only time error message still may not help is if, a user didn't install DM and changed the global setting to load with Devo and didn't do the loader.bin setting correctly.
If you could default to launch Devo if no DM was detected, that would be good because the loader.bin for Devo wasn't completely straightforward but not hard. It could be made easier.

nakata6790

True Player
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
For anyone having problems with certain Wiiware or N64 VC games:

I used to have a MAJOR issue with not being able to play some Wiiware or N64 games from emunand. Thankfully i can now pkay them great via GX. Like Cyan says, you need rev19 to get those working perfectly, and use d2x for the rest. Personally i have d2xv8 in slots 245-251 EXCEPT slot 249 which has rev19. Also slot 240 has rev17 for MDK2, Whiterock castle and Beaver Defence.

The trick is this: i have 2 emunands one in the root of my HDD and one (main) in a folder called NAND.
In the main i have all Wiiware & VC games installed. In the first (which is in the root) i have installed games like the n64 Majoras Mask, Mario Tennis 64, Cruisin USA etc which are ALSO installed in the main emunand.
I then use the GX settings for these particular games to have them a path for emunand that points to usb1:/ insted of the main (usb1:/nand/) and use ios249. That's it! Just remember to have them installed in BOTH emunands (so that the show up on GX) and that you have a save data created beforehand for those particuar games.

Of course you could always have 1 single large emunad in the root of your HDD and avoid all the above. Just make sure to use rev17 and rev19 in the slots indicated, and d2x on the rest. The ONLY games/channels that i have to use the real nand for are Opera, Youtube, Let's Create Pottery, Liight, Hot Rod Show, Castlevania Rebirth, Rubik's Rush and Hexen 64 inject wad. All the others work fine from GX emunand. This way, in conjunction with emusaves, i have freed my real nand!
The cool thing is that realnand also shows on GX so you han have EVERYTHING viewable on one place:GX.

A question for GX homebrew browser: Retroarch shows as multiple homebrew channels instead of one (due to the many .dol cores obviously). Is there any way to have GX showing only one RA folder/Channel like the real HBC?

Also, does anyone have working forwarder ISOS for GX, for the Weather and News Channels?
I know about the icon in the HB browser, that's what i currently use but i would prefer to have forwarders to be frank.

Reactions: berbere

Etheboss

Official LULWUT supporter
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
For anyone having problems with certain Wiiware or N64 VC games:

I used to have a MAJOR issue with not being able to play some Wiiware or N64 games from emunand. Thankfully i can now pkay them great via GX. Like Cyan says, you need rev19 to get those working perfectly, and use d2x for the rest. Personally i have d2xv8 in slots 245-251 EXCEPT slot 249 which has rev19. Also slot 240 has rev17 for MDK2, Whiterock castle and Beaver Defence.

The trick is this: i have 2 emunands one in the root of my HDD and one (main) in a folder called NAND.
In the main i have all Wiiware & VC games installed. In the first (which is in the root) i have installed games like the n64 Majoras Mask, Mario Tennis 64, Cruisin USA etc which are ALSO installed in the main emunand.
I then use the GX settings for these particular games to have them a path for emunand that points to usb1:/ insted of the main (usb1:/nand/) and use ios249. That's it! Just remember to have them installed in BOTH emunands (so that the show up on GX) and that you have a save data created beforehand for those particuar games.
This made me curious, did you manage to get paper wars: cannon fodder working with one of those settings? Because it does not even work in Neek2O.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
First time I read that a game doesn't work in neek2o.
I still haven't tested neek2o, but I heard it has the best compatibility.

@nakata:
All dols are displayed and there's no settings to disable it.
There's currently no plan to work on the homebrew launcher.

nakata6790

True Player
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
This made me curious, did you manage to get paper wars: cannon fodder working with one of those settings? Because it does not even work in Neek2O.

Hm i haven't tested this one. I 'll check it out and report back.

BTW i forgot to mention two games (besides the 5 mentioned) that also need realnand, 2 Fast for Gnomz and Swords & Soldiers.

Cyan, thanks for the reply man. I can always use the forwarder for RA anyway so no worries :yaywii:

nakata6790

True Player
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
So i just checked that one after seeing it i remember i had played it long ago from SD card btw, i didn;t like it and deleted it, that's why it had eluded my emunand check. It seems it has the same issue like Hot Rod Show, it blackscreens if started from emunand.

If it helps, i append my gamelist.csv created by GX, to show what games work great via GX:

From my gamelist.csv the only games that need real nand:

2 Fast for Gnomz
Let's Create Pottery
Hot Rod Show
Liight
Castlevania Adventure Rebirth
Rubik's Rush

Hexen 64 (inject N64 wad)

Opera Browser
Youtube Channel (official)
Weather Channel
News Channel

and Paper Wars Cannon Fodder, obviously. (EDIT: NOPE, IT WORKS!)

PS. My request for GX compatible forwader channels for News and Weather channels still stands, if anyone has them.

Attachments

• GameList.zip
    8.5 KB · Views: 155

arcsy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hey guys, I'm sorry if this has been asked before but I don't know where to start in order to get an idea on what I should do about it...well, on to my questions! 1.) Is it possible to play most Wiiware/VC games on USB Loader GX now? I prefer to use this than Wiiflow since Wiiflow corrupted my harddrive before while making a backup of my real nand. 2.) Is it also possible to import and export save files from games installed in the emunand so I can make a backup? 3.) Any guide on how to properly set up USB Loader GX so it can run my Wiiware/VC games? Thanks!!

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hi,

1) most games, yes. depend what "most" looks like to you. best compatibility is done with neek2o, which is not part of this loader yet.

2) it's possible to extract saves from Wii to EmuNAND directly from the loader (either all savegame from Wii, or on a game by game basis).
There's no restore function in the loader. You can use SaveGame Manager GX to do that.

3) There's no official guide.
- Use a d2x cIOS v4+
- Just point the NAND folder to a FAT32 device (SD or USB) in the settings > user path > "NAND Emu Save" and "NAND Emu Channel" ("save" is the one where it's extracted, "channel" is the one where it's read from)
- Go to settings > features > Extract NAND > Full
- go to main toolbar > 4th icon > check the EmuNAND checkbox

Alternatively (for problematic games), instead of using a d2x cIOS, you can use rev17 or rev19, and set the EmuNAND to the root. It will allow N64 VC games to work.

Note:
The internal EmuNAND's Wad manager doesn't work since r1203. it'll be fixed in the next revision.

Reactions: Hielkenator

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
So i just checked that one after seeing it i remember i had played it long ago from SD card btw, i didn;t like it and deleted it, that's why it had eluded my emunand check. It seems it has the same issue like Hot Rod Show, it blackscreens if started from emunand.

If it helps, i append my gamelist.csv created by GX, to show what games work great via GX:

From my gamelist.csv the only games that need real nand:

2 Fast for Gnomz
Let's Create Pottery
Hot Rod Show
Liight
Castlevania Adventure Rebirth
Rubik's Rush

Hexen 64 (inject N64 wad)

Opera Browser
Youtube Channel (official)
Weather Channel
News Channel

and Paper Wars Cannon Fodder, obviously.

PS. My request for GX compatible forwader channels for News and Weather channels still stands, if anyone has them.
What about Bonsai Barber?

nakata6790

True Player
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
What about Bonsai Barber?

Works perfectly with GX rev1209, game options as IOS set to 249, and ''nand path = usb1:/'' (it is installed in my main emunand, which is usb1:/nand and my 2nd emunand which is usb1:/ )
My ios 249 according to syscheck.csv:
IOS249[38] (rev 19, Info: rev 19): Trucha Bug, ES Identify, NAND Access, USB 2.0

nakata6790

True Player
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Sorry for the double post, but i wanted to inform Ethelboss that i now tried the PAL version of Paper Wars (code WWXP) using the same trick as Bonsai Barber on the above post and it WORKS on emunand with GX :).
I have a PAL Wii and the NTSC version gave me a black screen but PAL works.

Etheboss

Official LULWUT supporter
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Sorry for the double post, but i wanted to inform Ethelboss that i now tried the PAL version of Paper Wars (code WWXP) using the same trick as Bonsai Barber on the above post and it WORKS on emunand with GX :).
I have a PAL Wii and the NTSC version gave me a black screen but PAL works.
Hey, thanx for the info.

chop

Trophies
XP
Country
Two emunand questions.

1. Anybody got Retro city rampage running. For me it just kicks me out to the system menu.

2. Whenever I try to set up problem games to run from a different cios GX tells me I must use a d2x cios for emunand. any help with this.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It must be the 1st already
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    1st of what?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    may?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh yeah it's in September
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BakerMan, yea i think its different
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ok, because here it's in september, right before the fuckin school year starts
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    as to you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do you know if the night will be good when you're asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    because i didn't say i was asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
    TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands: I appreciate the insight!