Hacking USB Loader GX - Can't Shutdown/Exit when using d2x-v10beta52

MW99

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@MW99 Your drive is GPT. That could be the problem. A lot of homebrew only works properly with MBR.

yeah, I don't remember if emuNAND work with GPT. I didn't thought about that, sorry.
I hope that's your issue, as I don't know what else to suggest.

Switching to MBR fixed it!!! Thank you both so much! :D

Reactions: Cyan

MW99

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
One other question... is it possible to have it so that games running from the emuNAND save their save games to the real NAND?

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"Partial" can do that but it doesn't work properly unless you've previously installed the games on the real NAND. It needs the ticket to be able to save.

MW99

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"Partial" can do that but it doesn't work properly unless you've previously installed the games on the real NAND. It needs the ticket to be able to save.
Can I install it to the real NAND and then uninstall it, or do I have to keep it installed?

Edit:
Actually, I think Partial still saves to the emuNAND.

Last edited by MW99,

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can I install it to the real NAND and then uninstall it, or do I have to keep it installed?

Edit:
Actually, I think Partial still saves to the emuNAND.

Partial does save to the emuNAND but if the ticket isn't there it will crash. You can install it then remove it via the system menu to keep the ticket. If you remove it with a WAD manager it removes everything including the ticket.

Reactions: MW99

MW99

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I'm quickly finding out that there are quite a few games that don't work well on emuNAND. I believe the way around this is to use NEEK, which I have a question about @Cyan :P .

(I don't know how to set up NEEK yet, but I'm sure I'll figure it out.)
When wanting to run a game with NEEK, is it as simple as changing the mode setting? Or do I have to install the .wads to NEEK separately?

Edit:
Nevermind, found this.

Last edited by MW99,

MW99

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Cyan I followed your NEEK guide but am just getting a black screen when trying to boot into NEEK. The only thing I didn't do that your guide mentions is having BootMii installed as an IOS. I have BootMii as boot2 with the folder on my SD card renamed so it doesn't pop up at every boot. Do I have to install BootMii as an IOS even if I'm launching NEEK from USB Loader GX and already have BootMii installed as boot2?

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You don't need BootMii for USB Loader GX or the neek2o boot channel to start NEEK. The boot code is embedded in the dol.

neek2o r96 doesn't work properly if the NAND dump isn't in "/nands/somename/". It also has different drive requirements than cIOSes do. It must be on a MBR/FAT32 drive with the partition being the first one. (I think you just fixed that problem.)

You should also test boot it before you use anything to add WiiWare/VC titles to it. It can take forever to boot (and possibly fail to at all) once it has over the 48 title limit.

MW99

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You don't need BootMii for USB Loader GX or the neek2o boot channel to start NEEK. The boot code is embedded in the dol.

neek2o r96 doesn't work properly if the NAND dump isn't in "/nands/somename/". It also has different drive requirements than cIOSes do. It must be on a MBR/FAT32 drive with the partition being the first one. (I think you just fixed that problem.)

You should also test boot it before you use anything to add WiiWare/VC titles to it. It can take forever to boot (and possibly fail to at all) once it has over the 48 title limit.
Ah, my NAND is in "/nand" on my external drive, I'll try moving it to "/nand/nand1". I'm using the same NAND that I dumped via USB Loader GX so it already has some games installed on it, but no more than 48.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I don't think "Partial" for emuNAND Channel allows saving to real NAND.

Partial redirects the /title/ folder, while Full redirect all folders.
"partial" was specifically created to redirect savegame to SD or USB instead of NAND.

for Channels, the channel's data and the savegame are both located in /title/ folder, so it's not really a good idea to use Partial for "EmuNAND Channel".
I always wanted to remove the partial option, but some users seemed to find an interest in using it, I don't remember which one :(
Maybe using Mii and settings from the console ?

Do I have to install BootMii as an IOS even if I'm launching NEEK from USB Loader GX and already have BootMii installed as boot2?
If you use USBLoaderGX, it doesn't use bootmii at all, neither boot2 nor IOS.
it's loading the patched kernel in memory itself.

Bootmii is used to load the /bootmii/ arm.bin file, which IS the modified kernel.
If you use bootmii @ boot2 to launch into neek, you replace that arm file, and it will boot /sneek/ kernel instead of the official one from NAND.
If you don't have bootmii installed @ boot2, you can use Nswitch channel or homebrew which launches bootmii IOS, which itself loads the arm.bin file to again reload into /sneek/ kernel (tooooo many unnecessary reloadings)

USBLoaderGX just read the emuNAND_partition:/snee/kernel.bin and load it, without groing through all the bootmii steps.

You made a Neek or a Neek2o setup ?
Neek2o can autoboot into a channel, while neek will only boot into the "redirected" system menu, where you'll have to launch the channel manually.
neek2o can automatically return to a channel when you exit the autobooted game, which is usually used to reboot the console to exit neek mode. if you use neek instead of neek2o you'll have to reboot the console yourself, or launch a "nswitch" manually.

Last edited by Cyan,

MW99

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think "Partial" for emuNAND Channel allows saving to real NAND.

Partial redirects the /title/ folder, while Full redirect all folders.
"partial" was specifically created to redirect savegame to SD or USB instead of NAND.

for Channels, the channel's data and the savegame are both located in /title/ folder, so it's not really a good idea to use Partial for "EmuNAND Channel".
I always wanted to remove the partial option, but some users seemed to find an interest in using it, I don't remember which one :(
Maybe using Mii and settings from the console ?

If you use USBLoaderGX, it doesn't use bootmii at all, neither boot2 nor IOS.
it's loading the patched kernel in memory itself.

Bootmii is used to load the /bootmii/ arm.bin file, which IS the modified kernel.
If you use bootmii @ boot2 to launch into neek, you replace that arm file, and it will boot /sneek/ kernel instead of the official one from NAND.
If you don't have bootmii installed @ boot2, you can use Nswitch channel or homebrew which launches bootmii IOS, which itself loads the arm.bin file to again reload into /sneek/ kernel (tooooo many unnecessary reloadings)

USBLoaderGX just read the emuNAND_partition:/snee/kernel.bin and load it, without groing through all the bootmii steps.
Alright, thanks for the clarification. Still getting a black screen with NEEK, but perhaps I missed something during setup, I was in a bit of a hurry.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
For your question about how to use neek, you can set this mode as a per-game basis.
so, I recommend you keep the cIOS Full mode for all your games, and only set Neek mode in the non working game's settings only.

The black screen is common if you made a fresh NAND (not a dump, but an empty new NAND using modmii), in that case you need few minutes to initialize and create all the necessary files on first launch. (5-10mins)
But if you made a dump yourself, maybe it's not compatible. That's strange....

if you used neek, the loader would have told you it wasn't at the correct location. (path, partition, etc.)
So, the loader detected a neek2o, and is testing all your devices to see if it's compatible.

There might be another thing the loader is not doing correctly : if your drive is a 4k, maybe emuNAND doesn't work.
I always got mitigated report for that :(
though, your screenshot on page2 report a sector size of 512, not 4096, so it should not be the problem here.

Last edited by Cyan,

MW99

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For your question about how to use neek, you can set this mode as a per-game basis.
so, I recommend you keep the cIOS Full mode for all your games, and only set Neek mode in the non working game's settings only.

The black screen is common if you made a fresh NAND (not a dump, but an empty new NAND using modmii), in that case you need few minutes to initialize and create all the necessary files on first launch. (5-10mins)
But if you made a dump yourself, maybe it's not compatible. That's strange....

if you used neek, the loader would have told you it wasn't at the correct location. (path, partition, etc.)
So, the loader detected a neek2o, and is testing all your devices to see if it's compatible.

There might be another thing the loader is not doing correctly : if your drive is a 4k, maybe emuNAND doesn't work.
I always got mitigated report for that :(
though, your screenshot on page2 report a sector size of 512, not 4096, so it should not be the problem here.
I'm using my emuNAND dump created via USB Loader GX and followed your guide here using ModMii with neek2o enabled. I left it alone on the black screen for a good 30 minutes or so and nothing happened.
Tomorrow I will try starting over with NEEK, because it's possible I skipped something when I was in a hurry, but I don't think I did.

Here's what I get when running nswitch from the HBC:
(Sorry for the low quality. If you can't read it, I'll try to get a better picture as soon as I can.)

nswitch-error.JPG

It freezes at the "reloading bootmii IOS!" line.

Last edited by MW99,

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
if you use Nswitch, you need the bootmii IOS.
if you want to boot into neek using boot2 you need to replace the armboot.bin file in sd:/bootmii/ folder, and restart your console. It will load neek at launch. (you can't bypass it, until you replace armboot.bin with the original again, so keep a backup!)

MW99

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tried booting into a NAND created by ModMii and it still freezes at a black screen.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
maybe your drive is 4096byte per cluster, but I thought latest neek2o added compatibility with such drives.
though, you tested both SD and USB, right? SD doesn't have 4k so it's not the issue here.
USBLoaderGX is doing some checks to see if your device is correctly formated, with correct sector size, etc., but it should work if you don't see any warning.

did you install bootmii as IOS ? it could be useful, in case you want to try using Nswitch to launch it.

Last edited by Cyan,

MW99

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
maybe your drive is 4096byte per cluster, but I thought latest neek2o added compatibility with such drives.
though, you tested both SD and USB, right? SD doesn't have 4k so it's not the issue here.
USBLoaderGX is doing some checks to see if your device is correctly formated, with correct sector size, etc., but it should work if you don't see any warning.

did you install bootmii as IOS ? it could be useful, in case you want to try using Nswitch to launch it.
The sector size on my drive is 512. I did install BootMii as IOS, but nswitch still freezes at the "reloading bootmii IOS!" line.

I used ModMii as per your guide with neek2o enabled which created a "sneek" folder for both USB and SD, so I'm not sure which device it's loading from? I'm assuming it loads from USB since I chose the UNEEK+DI option?

Anyway, I'm wondering if there's something wrong with my NEEK setup rather than my emuNAND, since even the one built by ModMii won't load.
Here's the structure of my USB and SD NEEK install:

USB:
NAND is located in: "/nands/nand1/"
NEEK (neek2o) is located in: "/sneek" which contains:
"di.bin" - 21.8kB
"font.bin" - 97.3kB
"kernel.bin" - 220.8kB
"nandcfg.bin" - 784 bytes
"rev.txt" - 24 bytes

SD:
There is a "/sneek" folder which contains "kernel.bin" (220.8kB) and "rev.txt" (24 bytes).

The "neek2o NK2O_1 .wad" file has been installed to my emuNAND.

If there's any more information I can provide that would help, please let me know.
Thanks!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sjy9nc5QwBY