Urgent situation - 4.2 Safe Updater froze

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Melee54, Nov 16, 2009.

Nov 16, 2009
  1. Melee54
    OP

Member Melee54 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I was running 3.2u forever, finally decided to update. Made a Nand backup using bootmii beforehand. Ran the 4.2 safe firmware updater, and it has frozen at "attempting to install IOS34", specifically the "0000001b", 1/15. It has been there for a good 20+ minutes.

I'm afraid to restart the wii. What should I do?

[​IMG]

Edit: gave in and restarted. Nothing happened -__- ... LOL. All that worry for nothing. Trying again!

Any ideas as to why it froze? I thought it gave an error if the internet connection was lost. Hmm.

2. TyRaNtM

Member TyRaNtM I did some projects..

Chile
    This is because this "Safe Updater" isn't so safe.
    The problem is that the updater download a file, install, download other file, install, etc..
    At least Waninkoko 4.2 update didn't do that, and only install AFTER ALL files are downloaded.

I recomend you install Waninkoko 4.2 Updater, and after that, use DOP-IOS to install some ios without trucha (because this updater trucha nearly all ios, and you need some fresh ios).

3. Jacinto009

Member Jacinto009 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Lucky you, my Wii got bricked when I tried to softmod it.

4. Melee54
    OP

United States
    Darn... well the "safe" updater just finished, and I used DOP-IOS to sighash IOS70...

Guess we'll see if it works :/

I wish I would have used Waninkoko's. But hey, if this works i'm good, haha.

Edit: Noooo! The dumb health message is back! It's been ages since I got rid of it, can't even remember how... Haha, oh man.

5. mdmachine

Newcomer mdmachine Member

United States
    Well the health screen thing is a "hack" from starfall/preloader. Easy enough to re-implement. Just get the latest priiloader with the 4.2 hacks.ini

And the safe updater is safe, from what I gather it DOES NOT "download a file, install, download other file, install, etc..". So unless countless other people are mistaken, it is in fact TyRaNtM who is mistaken (or from the looks of it as this issue was first mentioned and dismissed 17 days ago, has a bone to pick).

Anyhow glad to see it updated properly, I do not know why it would have froze while installing the IOS. Maybe you should report that in the main thread.

6. alexcalibur

Member alexcalibur GBAtemp Regular

United States
    The safe updater doesn't do anything dangerous. It downloads a file then installs it, that's true. But there's nothing wrong with that - anyone that says otherwise doesn't really understand how the wii works. Even if the installer doesn't finish, it doesn't hurt your wii to have partial new ios. It has more or less the same risk as a nintendo update - hardly any.

7. BBking83

Member BBking83 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    It's exactly the same as a Nintendo update but leaves all cIOSes and boot2 alone.

I don't know what Waninkoko's does, exactly but I know that trucha signing every IOS isn't needed.

He has made some great apps. 4.2 updater isn't one of them.

8. Melee54
    OP

United States
    Thanks MDmachine.

Well, so far this is giving me trouble. I can't play any games through the disc channel, it's asking for a system update. (Well, to be honest, I've only tried SSBB). It asks for an update. "Wat do"?

Also, since I don't have an SD card at the moment, I'm running homebrew channel apps from a USB stick. Getting tons of code dumps [​IMG]

9. Jdbye

Suspended Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

Norway
    Use StartPatch and enable "bypass disk update check" (I think that's what it's called) and anything else you may want.

10. Melee54
    OP

United States
    Ahh! Kind of like starfall, if I remember correctly. Thanks, worked fine [​IMG]