Hacking Upgraded from 4.0U to 4.2U; backups no longer work

Defiance

oh my god.. it's full of trading cards...
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So today, I was bored so I decided to upgrade my Wii from 4.0U (originally upgraded from 3.2U to 4.0U awhile back using Waninkoko's loader) to 4.2U. So I loaded it from the Homebrew Channel just fine, and it also seemed to install fine. However, after it was finished, I tried loading a Gamecube backup from the disc channel. I have cIOSCORP 3.6 installed, and it showed fine like usual. However, when I selected it, it just took me back to the main menu. I thought that maybe cIOSCORP had to be reinstalled, so I went to the HC, only to find everything was flipped upside-down! I tried fixing this by uninstalling cIOSCORP using the uninstaller. It did nothing. I later fixed this problem by downloading DIP-IOS and installing IOS61 (apparently the firmware updater must have patched it or something). So after I fixed it, I went to NeoGamma and tried loading some Gamecube/Wii backups.. Neither ones would load. Then I tried reinstalling the cMIOS v5. I tried to launch a Gamecube backup in NeoGamma which again did nothing. Then, I reinstalled cIOSCORP again. Then I tried loading up a Gamecube game from the disc menu, which displayed it, but when I clicked on it, again, it took me back to the main menu. I figured it wasn't the cIOS rev 19, since I need to have one installed in order to install cIOSCORP.

So yeah, any help on what I did wrong would be greatly appreciated.
(The irony of all this was that I originally upgraded so I could use the Shop Channel, which I still can't.. I solve that later though.)

Defiance

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
tattar8 said:
Just follow the guide again...

Care to be more specific as to which guide?

And yes, I know. But I figured if I just did a system update then I could update both the Wii firmware and the shop channel at the same time.. >.>

Defiance

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
tattar8 said:
The guide in the stickies...

..I used Waninkoko's firmware updater specifically so I wouldn't have to redo everything all over again. If I wanted to do that, then I would have just updated via System Menu.

Emu9x

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Waninkoko's updater isn't very good, use nus downloader, create sys menu 4.2 and ios70. Install using wadmanager, problem solved.

Defiance

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, here's the part I followed:

QUOTE said:
Restoring the Trucha Bug, Removing Stub IOS's, Installing cIOS & Patching the System Menu IOS
Run MMM [Multi-Mod Manager]
Go down to select Install & Patch IOS36.
Choose Express Mode.
Go down to select Remove stubbed IOSs.
Press A everytime it finds a stub.
Go up and choose WAD manager.
Press 1 to select all the WAD's then A to install them.
Press any button to return to the main menu.

IOS36 wouldn't patch/install, no stubs were found, and I tried installing all 6 .wad files that came in the folder, but only the 5 cIOS files could install, and not the one IOS file.

Ugh... I've been at this since 2PM today (it's 5:17 now). Could anyone please help me by giving me advice that actually pertains to the problem I'm having?

TroyTheZombie

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
you only followed that one part eh?

see, wanin's updater skips files, so I'm betting you have some that are out of date/missing. kinda why you should follow it from the beginning (upgrading to 4.2) (you can skip the 1st bannerbomb part if you want, since I'm guessing you already have the homebrew channel)

xzxero

♥bong milk does good for the brain♥
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
its the cIOSCORP that doesnt allow you to patch IOS36

you shouldnt have any stubs since you have cIOSCORP installed.

in your case,use pretty much any IOS to install the cIOS.

i would erase all slots 200 and up first through the IOS manager so you can know what cIOS rev you have installed.

Defiance

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TroyTheZombie said:
you only followed that one part eh?

see, wanin's updater skips files, so I'm betting you have some that are out of date/missing. kinda why you should follow it from the beginning (upgrading to 4.2) (you can skip the 1st bannerbomb part if you want, since I'm guessing you already have the homebrew channel)

Well I already have had BootMii installed, with a nand backup, so what I did would have been the next step.

Also, I really want to stay away from deleting an IOS files from my Wii..

Defiance

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guys.. I uninstalled cIOSCORP and it still will not patch/install IOS36!!! It gives me "Title with a higher version is already installed."

I really would like to fix this.. Please don't just say 'follow the guide' as that has done nothing to help.

diegobh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I get the same... I´ve Upgraded from 3.4U to 4.1U; backups no longer work, Used Waninkoko's Upgrader

But i do just one step that corrects all my Wii Games: i´ve re-installed cIOS 38 rev 14. Now i can play all my wii games.

But i already have somethink to fix: I can´t play GC Games now =((( The screens flashs (colored and white & black), the screen moves right-left, left-right and when it´s not freeze or restart wii, the games starts all blck & white =((

Nin10doFan: Try to re-install cIOS 38 rev 14... Maybe works... For me worked.

person66

If it isn't edited, it isn't a true person66 post
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Nin10doFan said:
Guys.. I uninstalled cIOSCORP and it still will not patch/install IOS36!!! It gives me "Title with a higher version is already installed."

I really would like to fix this.. Please don't just say 'follow the guide' as that has done nothing to help.
Try using DOP-Mii to patch IOS36. just start it up, than choose "Install IOS36 (v3351) w/FakeSign"

You can also use "Scan the Wii's intenals (SysCheck)" to see what IOS's are patched, and what version they are

Defiance

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
person66 said:
Nin10doFan said:

Try using DOP-Mii to patch IOS36. just start it up, than choose "Install IOS36 (v3351) w/FakeSign"

You can also use "Scan the Wii's intenals (SysCheck)" to see what IOS's are patched, and what version they are

OMG! Yes! This worked! I was able to do this, go back and patch IOS36, and now I can play my Gamecube backups via NeoGamma! I still cannot play my two Wii backups, but I think it's because one is scrubbed and the other is patched (I only have two). It may also just be a cIOS rev 19 problem (I used IOS57 as the base), which in that case, I'll just wait until the next one.

Still.. I would like to know how exactly I got it fixed.. I hate doing doing things and not knowing what specifically it did.

Anyway, thanks for your help!

person66

If it isn't edited, it isn't a true person66 post
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You know that you can reinstall cios rev 19 with a different base, or just go back to rev 17. That's what I did because rev 19 wasn't working with all my homebrew.
yaywii.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    do y'all think having an sd card that has a write speed of 700kb/s is a bad idea?
    trying to restore emunand rn but it's taking ages... (also when I finished the first time hekate decided to delete all my fucking files :wacko:)
    @Karma177 that sd card is 100% faulty so yes, its a bad idea
    even the slowest non-sdhc sd cards are a few MB/s
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    @The Real Jdbye it hasn't given me any error trying to write things on it so I don't really think it's faulty (pasted 40/50gb+ folders and no write errors)
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    run h2testw on it
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    when SD cards/microSD write speeds drop below a meg a sec, they're usually on the verge of dying
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Samsung SD format can sometimes fix them too
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    yes looks like an faulty sd
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    @Psionic Roshambo i may try that with my dead sd cards
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    It's always worth a shot
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: It's always worth a shot