Status
Not open for further replies.

Dabu47

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
In all honesty I think that reflects a bigger problem with Super Mario becoming stale and reaching it's creative limit.

This is an interesting point but I think the last nail in the coffin was Super Mario Maker 1 and 2: it basically was the pinnacle of evolution for all Mario 2D. Don't get me wrong, I love Mario Maker but I don't see a Mario Bros game coming out without people comparing it to Maker afterwards: why should I play 8 Worlds for 60$ when I can have billions of levels for the same price ?

This is not the case for 3D Mario games though. That's why even if Odyssey wasn't as good as Galaxy for example, it still sold pretty well and is consider as one of the flagship of the Switch.

My main issue with Nintendo remains the lack of actions with the Switch: they doesn't work on the OS and it shows, they don't really work on new IP's nor doesn't they take any risks and they keep hostage a lot of really good franchises to never use them again.

Nintendo is now a waste of potential either for games and consoles. As you said, if they don't change their strategies, they will continue to be more and more disconnected with the reality and their community. (And I'm a Big-N sucker normally so it shows for a fan like me to see this whole mess and I'm sure we're not alone to see it)

Last edited by Dabu47,

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I much prefer traditional women, myself. I'm attracted to women; I'm not attracted to other guys.
Also, after my horrible Years 5 and 6 in primary school, I can't stand forceful, aggressive, or violent women. Those two years of being constantly bullied by two girls, and neglected by my female homeroom teacher, during a rather fundamental part of my life, certainly took their toll on me.

Am I the only one who prefers some aspects of 1950s culture and society to 2010s/2020?
I actually don’t like the 50’s style nor way of life. I find the style to be bland and pretty boring. The culture was literally the worst for anyone who wasn’t a White Cishet man.

Reactions: Seliph
D

Deleted User

I feel like Nintendo is just drying up with everything after the 7th gen. Since the Wii, Nintendo has just become complacent and lost all sense of innovation. They found a formula that worked for the Wii and DS but now don't want to shift away and innovate again because as you say, they are afraid of failing and falling into obscurity (even though that's basically what happened with the Wii U), which is something they are doing now. It feels like Nintendo are getting less and less relevant with every new console because they have increasingly less to offer with every generation. I think the Switch Pro/Switch 2/Switch: The Sequel won't even have new games come out for years and instead will keep re-releasing Switch and originally Wii U games remastered. I think it's just embarrassing that 3 years after launch, we still don't have Mario Kart Switch or NSMBS and just remasters of the Wii U versions. In all honesty I think that reflects a bigger problem with Super Mario becoming stale and reaching it's creative limit: Even if we get NSMBS, it's just going to be the same game again on another map with slightly better graphics. If Nintendo keep selling rebranded beefy Switches and Wii U games, they will just fall into obscurity and become the next SEGA (which I think they already are) and Mario will become the next Sonic, except he will live for not even half as long as Sonic has post-console.

What we usually think of 1950s culture is largely a myth. Despite what many think, the 1950s didn't see a return to the conservative, traditional family unit, in fact the post-war culture moved away from it and was the start of the liberalisation movements that occurred throughout the late 20th century. We didn't decide to return to conservatism, and then as soon as 1960 popped up u-turned; the sociopolitical scene of the 60s and 70s started in the 50s.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Multiple versions exist to artificially boost sales with minimal effort. If the games actually included multiple saves, there would be absolutely no reason to ever get both versions. That's basically the only reason I ever got both versions of a gen (Gen 5 and 6 I believe I got both). When it comes down to it, Pokemon is one of the laziest franchises out there that is somehow still successful. GAME FREAK is a parasite of nostalgia and the sooner Pokemon dies, the better. And that's coming from a long-time fan.
i meant it as a "maybe in the past it used to be a bit justified" but yeah, you are right

AkiraKurusu

Pokémon's dead
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
This is an interesting point but I think the last nail in the coffin was Super Mario Maker 1 and 2: it basically was the pinnacle of evolution for all Mario 2D. Don't get me wrong, I love Mario Maker but I don't see a Mario Bros game coming out without people comparing it to Maker afterwards: why should I play 8 Worlds for 60$ when I can have billions of levels for the same price ?

This is not the case for 3D Mario games though. That's why even if Odyssey wasn't as good as Galaxy for example, it still sold pretty well and is consider as one of the flagship of the Switch.

My main issue with Nintendo remains the lack of actions with the Switch: they doesn't work on the OS and it shows, they don't really work on new IP's nor doesn't they take any risks and they keep hostage a lot of really good franchises to never use them again.

Nintendo is now a waste of potential either for games and consoles. As you said, if they don't change their strategies, they will continue to be more and more disconnected with the reality and their community. (And I'm a Big-N sucker normally so it shows for a fan like me to see this whole mess and I'm sure we're not alone to see it)
The only Mario platformers I enjoy are 3D Land and New Super Mario Bros. 2; they have decently-constructed levels that never get utterly frustrating, unlike so many other games. They're simple, fun, and simply fun.
So if another game like that were to come out, I'd be happy to buy it.

As for Mario Maker's "bullions of levels", a large percentage of them are just simply garbage; there's the "My First Mario Level" ones, of course, but then there's the enraging Kaizo levels that can go screw off. There's those levels with stupidly-strict timers, or rely on glitches or advanced movement, that annoy me every time I encounter one. There's levels that are just obnoxious with the damn un-Mario-like sound effects, or play crappy music from other Mario games throughout.

...Yeah, no, gimme 3D Land or NSMB2.

Oh, and Odyssey was LEAGUES ahead of Galaxy - no forced motion-control segments; a mode that gives Mario a maximum of 9 HP instead of a measly 6 (though that's still with a temporary boost...ugh) when 64 DS and Sunshine gave him 8 HP; you can get the Moons in almost any order, looks better, sounds better, and just plays better. Still not perfect - volleyball, skip-rope, Breakdown Bridge duo, and walking in a circle on the Moon come to mind - but way better than the trash heap named "Galaxy".

They also "took a risk" with Breath of the Wild, and that boring disaster somehow sold like gangbusters; I'd like for them to return to traditional Legend of Zelda, but who knows if they ever will?

Reactions: RichardTheKing

Dabu47

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
@AkiraKurusu

My whole point about the Maker games is about how Nintendo crushed themselves with the idea. It is the logical successor to the "New" franchise that began on DS. Mario platforming is stuck on standard level that won't evolve or bring anything new on the table since New Super Mario Bros Wii U (if not Wii).

And, as much as I understand that a percentage of the levels on Maker doesn't suits you, from there you only have two choices:

a) Let the fans do the work for you.
b) Release sequels from successful games like 3D Land or NSMB2 (but it won't last on the long term).

You can't deny that Maker still has a better value than any Mario 2D released in the past few years (especially the last two ones) and even if we didn't scratched the surface on all the levels that we can create, the possibilities were calculated and it is approximatively close to 1.8×1012,431 of possible levels in the aforementioned game that are both fun and completable. (This number is also called the "Mario Plex").

If this game wasn't closed on a Nintendo environement, it would have an expansion that would be interesting to follow (without counting mods, hacks, updates etc..) - By knowing all of this, it is difficult to not consider Mario Maker as one of the final step in Mario 2D history but also how Nintendo will have a lot of troubles to continue this genre after this one (and not just releasing a NSMB3).

About Odyssey, this is only about taste. Personally, I found this one much more tedious and boring in it's structure. It's funny because you don't like the high numbers of levels in Maker saying that most of them are not fun but how many moons between the 836 moons were actually clever and enjoyable to collect ? I'm pretty sure we could reduce them to 250 moons or less. Mario Galaxy was maybe much more straight forward as it's original pattern seems to be Mario 64. In result, you get freedom spare in small areas and selection of missions before entering a world for example.. But this structure drive you in small sections that benefits your session of game rather than losting you in world too big for your enjoyement.

Mario Odyssey is simply another take because it gives you an open world but this can be as enjoyable in the first few hours as boring when you have to collect the nx amount of moons in a too big area. I would rather prefer Crash Bandicoot "corridor" type of adventure than a Ghost Recon Breakpoint "open-world" that would lose it's charm after a few rounds.

Also "no forced motion-control segments", lol. You lose movement control over Cappy if you play with a controller as many of his skills is based on motion direction with the joycons. I redirect you to this article from medium or the one from Kotaku for playing in Handled mode.

RichardTheKing

Honestly XC2>XC3...
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
@AkiraKurusu

My whole point about the Maker games is about how Nintendo crushed themselves with the idea. It is the logical successor to the "New" franchise that began on DS. Mario platforming is stuck on standard level that won't evolve or bring anything new on the table since New Super Mario Bros Wii U (if not Wii).

And, as much as I understand that a percentage of the levels on Maker doesn't suits you, from there you only have two choices:

a) Let the fans do the work for you.
b) Release sequels from successful games like 3D Land or NSMB2 (but it won't last on the long term).

You can't deny that Maker still has a better value than any Mario 2D released in the past few years (especially the last two ones) and even if we didn't scratched the surface on all the levels that we can create, the possibilities were calculated and it is approximatively close to 1.8×1012,431 of possible levels in the aforementioned game that are both fun and completable. (This number is also called the "Mario Plex").

If this game wasn't closed on a Nintendo environement, it would have an expansion that would be interesting to follow (without counting mods, hacks, updates etc..) - By knowing all of this, it is difficult to not consider Mario Maker as one of the final step in Mario 2D history but also how Nintendo will have a lot of troubles to continue this genre after this one (and not just releasing a NSMB3).

About Odyssey, this is only about taste. Personally, I found this one much more tedious and boring in it's structure. It's funny because you don't like the high numbers of levels in Maker saying that most of them are not fun but how many moons between the 836 moons were actually clever and enjoyable to collect ? I'm pretty sure we could reduce them to 250 moons or less. Mario Galaxy was maybe much more straight forward as it's original pattern seems to be Mario 64. In result, you get freedom spare in small areas and selection of missions before entering a world for example.. But this structure drive you in small sections that benefits your session of game rather than losting you in world too big for your enjoyement.

Mario Odyssey is simply another take because it gives you an open world but this can be as enjoyable in the first few hours as boring when you have to collect the nx amount of moons in a too big area. I would rather prefer Crash Bandicoot "corridor" type of adventure than a Ghost Recon Breakpoint "open-world" that would lose it's charm after a few rounds.

Also "no forced motion-control segments", lol. You lose movement control over Cappy if you play with a controller as many of his skills is based on motion direction with the joycons. I redirect you to this article from medium or the one from Kotaku for playing in Handled mode.
I've completed Odyssey a couple of times with a Wii U Pro Controller (via Magic-NS) and a 8BitDo Gamepad, and I never had any major issues with Cappy throws. They're nowhere near as irredeemably awful as Galaxy's ball-rolling, ray-surfing, and bubble-blowing missions.
And sure, there's plenty of unnecessary Moons in Odyssey, but at least you can get them in practically any order, instead of being forcefully led down a single obtainment order. That's just frustrating and needlessly limiting; the same can be said about Sunshine. 64 DS and Odyssey both allow for a lot more freedom than Galaxy and Sunshine, and it makes those games better, more enjoyable.

Cryoraptor

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Even if they didn't bring out SMM (which was an inevitability anyway), the lifetime of NSMB and 2D Mario in general is limited because it's virtually the same game but with better graphics and different levels each time. Eventually the formula gets boring and even the most diehard fans lose interest, especially when a new 3D series has been booted that on the inverse can keep bringing new things to the table for the foreseeable future. However, we're talking about Nintendo and in the last decade, innovation isn't one of their strong points. As I've expressed before, I think they are on the SEGA path and in the next 2 or 3 generations they will just stop making new games and have no basis for a console as SonySoft race away, and continue to re-release older games on the PS8/Xbox 9001/The slight possibility of a new competitor being established as a big player by this time/PC/whatever else until people completely lose interest and Nintendo either invest in other ventures or disappear as a company.

They could avoid this fate by inventing new IPs and expanding one recently-spawned ones like Splatoon, but this is Nintendo and they won't do that. They'll stick to Mario and Pokemon (unless GAME FREAK pull out and go solo on another console/PC when Switch 3 fails) and their other old IPs that are drying up until they are filing for bankruptcy.

The gaming industry reminds me of the UK railways a bit: At privatisation, numerous companies controlled railways, but over time, small, home grown regional companies were pushed out by the larger corporations, and even larger multibillion-dollar multinational companies moved in from overseas and took control of the major railways save for GWR that stayed in the hands of FirstGroup through some miracle, and now most railways are controlled by a monopoly of 3 or 4 multinational companies (most publicly-owned businesses of other countries which is laughable that they were ever allowed to bid), which will eventually become 1 or 2 across the whole network. Stagecoach, National Express, Virgin and most other native companies have completely lost their franchises altogether (and Arriva was bought out by the Dutch government) just to be replaced by the Italian, German, Dutch and Japanese governments (literally, those governments control most of our railways). The way it's going, in 10-15 years I reckon the entire network will be controlled by a combination of the Italian and Dutch governments, as they seem to be the two that are eating up the most franchises across the country. That's basically the same thing that happened (and is continuing to happen) with the gaming industry, apart from the governments controlling it part. Ramble over.

D

Deleted User

i don't get the point of bottled water, why would you buy it when taps are such a commonplace device? i bought a couple bottles whenever i forgot to bring my own to the gym, but the price difference with something like gatorade/powerade is so negligible you are better off getting the latter, i get some people like sparkling water, but there are people who have taps and still buy non sparkling bottled water

Cryoraptor

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
i don't get the point of bottled water, why would you buy it when taps are such a commonplace device? i bought a couple bottles whenever i forgot to bring my own to the gym, but the price difference with something like gatorade/powerade is so negligible you are better off getting the latter, i get some people like sparkling water, but there are people who have taps and still buy non sparkling bottled water
Where I live, the water is hard as fuck and tastes like chalk sometimes, so bottled water can make pure water drinkable for those who live in areas of hard water.

Reactions: Deleted User
D

Deleted User

almost forgot this one, but i hate the feel of rubber earbuds, they never fit, no matter what cups i use, and they grab wax very easily, i much preffer plastic earbuds, and it seems this is an unpopular opinion because 99% of earbuds available are rubber
Where I live, the water is hard as fuck and tastes like chalk sometimes, so bottled water can make pure water drinkable for those who live in areas of hard water.
i kinda get it on that condition, but i live in a place where, if your house has clean pipes, water is perfectly drinkable out of the tap, yeat, people still buy bottled water

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
i kinda get it on that condition, but i live in a place where, if your house has clean pipes, water is perfectly drinkable out of the tap, yeat, people still buy bottled water
To be honest, I would say they are worth it just because of convenience.
If I am around in the way from A to B, and I forgot or just didn't care enough to bring my own bottle filled with tap water, then if I am thirsty I will just get a bottle of water; from a kiosk, from a vending machine in the train station, etc.
Bottled water is simply convenient when I want to drink water and I don't have water; also if I just want water why would I drink some sugary or flavory thing?

If I am back home I see no reason to drink bottled water, tap water back here is perfectly fine.

r0achtheunsavory

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I actually don’t like the 50’s style nor way of life. I find the style to be bland and pretty boring. The culture was literally the worst for anyone who wasn’t a White Cishet man.

Standard selfish and delusional viewpoint from leftist propaganda outlets based entirely on fake premises. The first fake premise is that natural selection doesn't exist and the world is inherently a peaceful place. False. The default state of the world is war because earth is a closed ecosystem, caged deathmatch, and women are incapable of competiting in that contest against men.

So for any organism traversing the planet called earth, you'll either be subject to the law of the jungle where the stronger person does whatever they want to you (just like what any deer or rabbit is subject to), or you'll be living under some form of civilization created entirely by men (because they're always the winners of war) that prevents the law of the jungle and allows you to live without being subject to that.

This is what's hilarious about leftists, their whining, and their constant anti-white racism and anti-male sexism. If you actually remove white men from the equation, you don't get some lesbian utopia, you just revert back to the law of the jungle and instead of civilization being propped up by semi-rational men, it would instead by run by insane men from prisons who just murder people for fun.

TLDR: the white male that built modern democracy in Greece and later republics isn't the "oppressor". Getting rid of him just reverts you back to the law of the jungle where you have no rights at all because he's the one propping you up to have any type of rights or freedom in the first place.

Last edited by r0achtheunsavory,

sarkwalvein

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Standard selfish and delusional viewpoint from leftist propaganda outlets based entirely on fake premises. The first fake premise is that natural selection doesn't exist and the world is inherently a peaceful place. False. The default state of the world is war because earth is a closed ecosystem, caged deathmatch, and women are incapable of competiting in that contest against men.

So for any organism traversing the planet called earth, you'll either be subject to the law of the jungle where the stronger person does whatever they want to you (just like what any deer or rabbit is subject to), or you'll be living under some form of civilization created entirely by men (because they're always the winners of war) that prevents the law of the jungle and allows you to live without being subject to that.

This is what's hilarious about leftists, their whining, and their constant anti-white racism and anti-male sexism. If you actually remove white men from the equation, you don't get some lesbian utopia, you just revert back to the law of the jungle and instead of civilization being propped up by semi-rational men, it would instead by run by insane men from prisons who just murder people for fun.

TLDR: the white male that built modern democracy in Greece and later republics isn't the "oppressor". Getting rid of him just reverts you back to the law of the jungle where you have no rights at all because he's the one propping you up to have any type of rights in the first place.
Wow, what an off topic comment that looks so incoherent as if it was written by a cheap AI, and worse of all it has nothing to do with the comment it is replying to that just states "I actually don’t like the 50’s style nor way of life. I find the style to be bland and pretty boring. The culture was literally the worst for anyone who wasn’t a White Cishet man."

The topic of the post you are replying is "50's style and way of life".
The opinion is "that it is bland and boring, and it casted out every one but a small subgroup of the population", a known fact considering 50's America didn't only love Apartheid, but also women had little more liberty than in Saudi Arabia.

Nothing in your reply deals with those topics, and your post looks like crazy lunatic propaganda to be honest.

Last edited by sarkwalvein,

Seliph

Best Girl ʕ •ᴥ•ʔ
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Incel alert

r0achtheunsavory

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
looks like crazy lunatic propaganda to be honest.

I stated facts about how the world works in reality, aka not imaginary leftist nonsense, and your reply is just random babbling claiming anything that's not Marxism is "lunatic propaganda". It's not my fault you're unable to comprehend how the world works.

Force is the sole overriding consensus mechanism for deciding what gets done, and at both an individual level + a collective level, it just so happens that men and western men in general from the Greeks, to Romans, to modern America have wielded the most overwhelming amount of force.

It doesn't matter if you think the world should be run by women, squirrels, or dolphins instead. The world is governed by the law of the jungle and natural selection, and those groups are incapable of competing against human men to determine the law of the land as shown through tens/hundreds of thousands of years of precedent.

Reactions: AkiraKurusu

sarkwalvein

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I stated facts about how the world works in reality, aka not imaginary leftist nonsense, and your reply is just random babbling claiming anything that's not Marxism is "lunatic propaganda". It's not my fault you're unable to comprehend how the world works.

Force is the sole overriding consensus mechanism for deciding what gets done, and at both an individual level + a collective level, it just so happens that men and western men in general from the Greeks, to Romans, to modern America have wielded the most overwhelming amount of force.

It doesn't matter if you think the world should be run by women, squirrels, or dolphins instead. The world is governed by the law of the jungle and natural selection, and those groups are incapable of competing against human men to determine the law of the land as shown through tens/hundreds of thousands of years of precedent.
You only stated your retrograde fantasies, good try calling it facts.

Anyway, whatever floats your boat, kbye.

r0achtheunsavory

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Incel alert

It appears your defintion of "incel" is everyone that isn't transgender and spamming Twitter and this forum with leftist propaganda and lies. What I typed was scientific fact. It's even acknowledged as truth by the king of Marxist leftists himself - Mao - when he cited "political power flows entirely from the barrel of a gun."

Who makes the law of the land is decided by the consensus mechanism of force, not leftist crying and lies. Which is why leftists are always trying to ban the 2nd amendment. It's the best deterrent to preventing genocidal leftist tyranny.

As a person on the political right, I could care less that you're a transgender. What bothers me is the anti-white racism and misandry always pushed by this group. It's like before they converted to women they were simping and placed women on a pedestal so thought attempting to convert to a woman would somehow be an upgrade.

When you tell them patriarchy is the law of the land and is virtually guaranteed to be the law of the land forever because precedent shows men always outcompete women in force, they get all upset like "wtf, this was supposed to be an upgrade, not a downgrade!".

r0achtheunsavory

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A woman with a gun can easily outcompete a man without a gun. Your argument is based on easily disproven false assumptions.

It seems all of your arguments rely upon the lie in your signature that you pretend is fact, that gender doesn't exist. If that was true, natural selection would never have created different sexes in the first place and everyone would reproduce asexually like some type of lower organism like an amoeba.

To anyone above a caveman level of education, your arguments are easily spotted as lies. Things like natural selection and evolution would also be required to not exist for the stuff you type to be true. How stupid do you think people are that anyone would fall for such obvious lies? You might be able to fool a 10 year old child or lower maybe, but not an actual adult.

Since different sexes in reality do exist - contrary to your lies - that implies a specialization of labor and defacto non-equality. Where exactly in Darwin's Origin of Species did you read that natural selection creates equality in the first place? Why are you spamming the forum with obvious lies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Materia_tofu @ Materia_tofu:
    im not a very bright individual, but we live and we learn
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Materia_tofu, We do learn a lot from plenty of talented individuals.
  • Materia_tofu @ Materia_tofu:
    this is true! i learned how to make soundfont remixes from a friend back in 2021
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Update on my brother: He's home now, tired and hungry, obviously, but other than that, seems to be doing fine.
    +2
  • Veho @ Veho:
    That's a relief to hear. Do you know what happened?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BakerMan, Any idea what happened? I hope that your brother's doing good.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Well, from what I've heard from my parents, he had a seizure last night, perhaps an epileptic episode, fucking died, had a near death experience, my dad called the paramedics, they showed up, took him to the hospital, and he woke up covered in tubes, and started complaining.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    He couldn't eat until after his MRI, when he had a bomb pop.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    What matters now is that he's doing alright.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    But you still don't know what it was?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Has he had seizures before?
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    apparently stress can cause seizures, my brother had one during a test once
    never had one before that, and never had one since
  • Redleviboy123 @ Redleviboy123:
    Question about game texture chanching Do i need an own game id?
    @Veho for those that want to
    experience being sonic the hedgehog
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Ah, you mean
    furries.
    well, sonic fans are a whole separate thing from furries
    like bronys
    sonic porn is too weird even for me