Homebrew Unofficial 3DS RetroArch builds

Elwyndas

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cool. Btw windows security is giving me virus alarms for both files.

It's a false positive. Not uncommon.
Just deactivate Windows Defender, download and extract the file, and reactivate Defender.
The files are not executables on Windows and won't install viruses.

Reactions: MrHuu

Zense

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I noticed that the new build had some new advanced options to play around with, so I did exactly that.

By turning off lighting on spyro I was able to acheive a much more stable 50fps with audio sync on the EU pal version. I'm curious to try other games with this. Turning off blending might make it even better but the gfx glitches are not worth it. The game does lose some gfx esteem without lighting but it's worth it imo.

Hercules US NTSC runs smoothly with audio sync when interpolation is turned off. It does crash occasionally when loading to the second level, just as the PAL version.

Tempest X3 NTSC runs at 60fps audio sync.

I'm gonna try and figure out how to make sound in rayman work with chd/pbp format. Though it runs at 60fps without. Curious to see if it changes much.

Tekken 2 ran like 40-45 fps with standard settings so I'll play around with it later.

MrHuu

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
NegativeExponent has made a PR to get the updated unai plugin merged into the libretro port.
Hopefully it will get merged soon and included by the buildbot.

I noticed that the new build had some new advanced options to play around with, so I did exactly that.

By turning off lighting on spyro I was able to acheive a much more stable 50fps with audio sync on the EU pal version. I'm curious to try other games with this. Turning off blending might make it even better but the gfx glitches are not worth it. The game does lose some gfx esteem without lighting but it's worth it imo.

Hercules US NTSC runs smoothly with audio sync when interpolation is turned off. It does crash occasionally when loading to the second level, just as the PAL version.

Tempest X3 NTSC runs at 60fps audio sync.

I'm gonna try and figure out how to make sound in rayman work with chd/pbp format. Though it runs at 60fps without. Curious to see if it changes much.

Tekken 2 ran like 40-45 fps with standard settings so I'll play around with it later.

I also noticed the advanced unai settings, good to have them for those games which still run a few frames behind.
They do have noticeable graphical effects, so i only use them as a last resort.

I haven't been successful with getting the audio tracks playing with Rayman, using multifile .bin / .cue, single .bin / .cue and .PBP.

I was able to play Diablo at 60fps in the first dungeon, with frameskip set to 1. But i couldn't stop playing until my battery was empty, so much for testing..

kenseiden

i am overflow
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just wanted to thank Mr. Huu for his work in making PCSX-ReARMed playable on the New 3DS. Being able to play the PS version of Jojo’s Bizarre Adventure at fullspeed is something I never thought would be possible, but here we are. Could never get it loading on the 3DS CPS-3 core without my New 3DS crashing every time, so this is obviously very welcome. :)

I’ve noticed that games that use CDDA audio aren’t playing the audio tracks. I’m assuming that Rayman is one of them, but in my personal experience and with a game I’m much more familiar with, Tomb Raider isn’t playing any music at all, and that’s a game that does use CDDA audio.

MrHuu

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Just wanted to thank Mr. Huu for his work in making PCSX-ReARMed playable on the New 3DS. Being able to play the PS version of Jojo’s Bizarre Adventure at fullspeed is something I never thought would be possible, but here we are. Could never get it loading on the 3DS CPS-3 core without my New 3DS crashing every time, so this is obviously very welcome. :)

I’ve noticed that games that use CDDA audio aren’t playing the audio tracks. I’m assuming that Rayman is one of them, but in my personal experience and with a game I’m much more familiar with, Tomb Raider isn’t playing any music at all, and that’s a game that does use CDDA audio.

Glad you like it as much as i do, but don't thank me. I just compiled various sources from other developers.

Credits go to:

@justinweiss - for fixing audio issues, enabling the unai plugin and tracking down it's issues, and bringing back CHD support.
negativeExponent - for backporting and updating the unai plugin, which will be available in the upcoming buildbot builds.
notaz - for the PCSX-ReARMed emulator port
@aliaspider - for the main 3DS port of RetroArch
Twinaphex - As head developer and maintainer of RetroArch
All of the contributors of libretro and it's cores. (including me, for a really tiny bit)

Zense

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I haven't been successful with getting the audio tracks playing with Rayman, using multifile .bin / .cue, single .bin / .cue and .PBP.

I'm pretty sure there's a way to make these games' cdda audio work and that I've been able to do so before...

Reactions: kenseiden

Zense

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
NegativeExponent has made a PR to get the updated unai plugin merged into the libretro port.
Hopefully it will get merged soon and included by the buildbot.

Personally I feel frame skip works best on games that are 2D sprites etc. It's very noticeable on 3D games which are sadly thr kind of the games where the speed boost is needed, though.

Last edited by Zense,

Treychik

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Hi, everyone! Could somebody please post screenshots (or just name) of all the settings for new ps1 core. Because I just downloaded and installed it, retroarch (cia) is installed too, but my game (soul reaver) has weird screen flickering, displacement to the left corner (turning small and whole screen flickers), the rest games are just crashing the app. Perhaps I do something wrong...all images are .pbp

Rj.MoG

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, everyone! Could somebody please post screenshots (or just name) of all the settings for new ps1 core. Because I just downloaded and installed it, retroarch (cia) is installed too, but my game (soul reaver) has weird screen flickering, displacement to the left corner (turning small and whole screen flickers), the rest games are just crashing the app. Perhaps I do something wrong...all images are .pbp
Soul reaver works fine here. Do you have psx bios on your 3ds?

Reactions: Treychik

Treychik

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
They need to go in sdmc:/retroarch/cores/system
If you don't already have that folder then make it.
You'll have to find bios on your own. Check the retroarch wiki for what bios to get for pcsxrearmed.

Thanks a lot. I've got several of them to try. Will be testing. I had nothing in the folder :)

Reactions: Zense

Zense

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Thanks a lot. I've got several of them to try. Will be testing. I had nothing in the folder :)
Btw your screen flickering sounds more like what happens sometimes when there are onscreen notifications. Try editing this in the general retroarch settings.

MrHuu

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
You can verify if the correct bioses are found in the retroarch menu.
Check 'Main menu / Information / Core information'.

And as @Zense already said, the on-screen notifications cause the flickering and resizing.
This also affects some other cores.

Reactions: cvskid and Zense

Zense

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Tekken 2 Pal runs smoothly with sound set to silent inside the game options. You'll only have sound effects. Not sure if it would get to 60fps on NTSC. Might need to turn off lighting and blending.

Ape Escape PAL is generally at 50 fps with blending disabled. Looks really ugly.

Chrono Cross stutters a lot during battles and the start menu has garbled graphics. It runs 60fps outside of battles. The pause menu slows down to 30fps, might be because it runs at 480 interlaced.

Zense

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I've been trying different things to get sound in Rayman. Psxvcd did not help. Isobuster neither. Next up is cdmage as per this reddit post

Oh and Tombi EU Pal runs perfectly fine at 50fps with frameskip set to 1. It's one of those games where it isn't too noticeable.

Last edited by Zense,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, Good.