Unmountable Boot Volume

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Hakoda, Jul 17, 2010.

Jul 17, 2010

Unmountable Boot Volume by Hakoda at 7:11 PM (1,060 Views / 0 Likes) 5 replies

1. Hakoda
    OP

Member Hakoda GBAtemp Addict

United States
    I have a relative's Windows XP Home Edition on an HP laptop. Each time I boot I'm given the option to choose: Safe Mode, Safe Mode w/ Networking, Safe Mode w/ Command Prompt, Last known good config., & Start Windows normally. Now each of these options result in Windows flashing a blue screen and restarting. The BIOS is very limited so I can't ask it to not restart when an error screen appears. However, with some skill & timing I was able to use my multi-shot option on my camera to capture the blue screen. To my surprise, no error code appeared, simply the words "UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME". With a quick Google search I learned I could fix it with a "chkdisk /r" command with a Windows XP Installation disc; so I tried that and got the same result. So then I tried the "fixboot" command and still got the same result.

So now it seems the only option is instead of pressing "R" initially, I should press ENTER as though I'm installing, agree to the EULA & THEN hit "R" to repair the system. If I have this correct, the repair procedure will look similar to the installation procedure but it won't touch any personal files, correct?

Just needed to get this straight before I start messing with things. Thanks.

2. tk_saturn

Member tk_saturn GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    "UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME" would make me worry. I'd either use something like Gparted, Hirens Boot CD, Norton Ghost or Bart's PE to check the disk out, and maybe backup it up. Otherwise stick the drive in another PC as a secondary, backup it and then investigate.

With XP, the first thing i'd check is the Sata drivers. There's normally copies of the registry in the system restore folder, so i'd try a previous one of those.

For a google, some suggest fixmbr instead of fixboot. The W7 Bootsect program will also rewrite the bootsector. Also try the diskprobe and dmdiag in the windows resource kits.

If you stick it in another PC, check the Smart stats.

3. Hakoda
    OP

United States
    When you say "check the disk out" do you mean use one of those tools to run a disk check? I tried the "fixmbr" command on the Win XP installation disc but are you suggesting I rewrite the MBR using the Win7 repair disc? I don't have the ability to take the HDD out. If anyone knows the answer to my initial question, that'd be great too.

4. tk_saturn

Member tk_saturn GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    Just use one of the LiveCD's so you can inspect the filesystem. Use fixmbr to rewrite the mbr, and use bootsect to rewrite the bootsect http://rapidshare.com/files/269611722/bootsect.exe.html it's from the W7 DVD, but should work on XP as it can write NTLDR or BOORMGR depending on the command line switches. The bootsector should be fine though, as it will already be loading NTLDR.

I haven't used it, but from what I gather there's a whole bunch of drive tools on the Gparted LiveCD not just the one used to fix the MicroSD cards.

You need to do a through check of the file system. Reparing from the CD is sometimes 'iffy' as it will probably be an earlier version, while what's on the drive will be SP3.

If it were me, what I would do a check of the drive and file system. If that's OK, install a second copy of Windows XP into a different directory, 'WINXP' for example. It also allows you to specify a different directory for the 'Program Files', I always used 'Program Files XP'. Update that to SP3, you will be able to find all the drivers in the inf directory of the previous installation. Once it's up and running, copy the user data or use it to fix the existing installation.

I always used to have multiple installs of Windows XP, it's a shame with Vista/ W7 they have to be on seperate partitions.

If the drive is Sata, might be worth checking the bios as some need to enable a ide emulation mode etc in the bios as Xp doesn't have Sata support out of the box.

5. Zetta_x

Member Zetta_x The Insane Statistician

United States
    A hardware issue with my harddrive was giving me the unmountable boot volume error, I'll watch this thread maybe I can map around it or revive the harddrive!

6. Hakoda
    OP

United States
    I know this is a bit late and I hate to revive an old thread but just for future reference, here goes.

tk_saturn pointed out in this thread that to rewrite the MBR of a Win XP system using bootsect you need to use the command "bootsect /nt52 SYS". That's the command that had eluded me for so long. You can find the bootsect program in the linked thread or in a Win 7 Recovery Disc via CMD which can be legally obtained here. Follow these steps to rewrite the bootloader but it comes to the last step, instead of typing "bootsect /nt60 SYS /mbr", type "bootsect /nt52 SYS".

Although, the only downside to all of this is that my relative had already purchased a new laptop. I guess he can return it if he still wants this one but the outer casing of the monitor is breaking off so he's better off with the new one as a primary and this old one as a backup or secondary for his kids.