ROM Hack Undubbing Megaman ZX Advent

Digital Matrix

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
The quality of American voice acting in ZX Advent being what it is, I recently tried to use DSBuff to copy the Japanese sound.sdat, .vx and .ahx files into the US version. The .sdat and .vx copied fine, but there appear to be more US .ahx files than Jap... is this a problem?

War

Take it easy~
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Lmao, what's with the sudden undub requests? Everyone want's to be weaboo now? Anyway, I'm pretty sure there was a topic about this already, so use the Search feature next time. I think it's just a matter of interchanging the sound files with the japanese ROM.

knoxvillz

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Digital Matrix said:
The quality of American voice acting in ZX Advent being what it is, I recently tried to use DSBuff to copy the Japanese sound.sdat, .vx and .ahx files into the US version. The .sdat and .vx copied fine, but there appear to be more US .ahx files than Jap... is this a problem?

yeh, it is a problem with undubbing the game as the voices are not in sync with what their saying because there is more text in the US version than the Japanese version.

gukid

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yeah, this one is pretty much impossible.

As an alternative, I made a NODUB version, where you just delete all the sound files. Not only do you not have to listen to the horrible english dubbing, the text boxes load noticeably faster.

Though you should replace the sound effects files with the japanese so that you'll get the japanese voice at the intro, and japanese voices for when you use powered up shots. Replace the movies as well, for japanese voice (but no subtitles, from what I remember.)

Who knew fixing Crapcom US's mistakes could be fun and educating!

DoomRavager

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
Just adding my own two pieces, it might be possible for someone who knows Japanese to find out how the US and Japanese text coompare. Assuming there is one sound file per text box, which is why there are so many more in US, one could replace the sound files that match each other and replace the "extra" sound files that correspond to an extra text box due to lack of space with blank dummy files. But this would have to be done by someone who both speaks Japanese and has LOADS of patience.

That, or you could just reuse some dialogue files so that the characters are just speaking random Japanese that most don't understand anyway. Works for those who don't speak Jap but want to listen to better Jap voice acting. ^.^

Digital Matrix

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
Yeah, I tried doing a straight copy of the sound files, and it sucked. Half the time characters had the wrong voices. >.< Movies and sound effects work fine though. Nice to hear TRANS-ON instead of A-Trans.
I think what DoomRavager suggested may be feasible, but it is too hard for a complete newbie with no Japanese knowledge like myself... This will never get done without someone with more free time and ROMhacking knowhow, not to mention knowledge of Japanese. Just the complications this is throwing up gives me deeper respect for those who undub these things.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Mondooooo @ Mondooooo: it pisses me off