uLaunch - custom, open source Nintendo Switch HOME menu reimplementation

uLaunch

uLaunch is a custom, open-source Nintendo Switch HOME menu replacement/reimplementation!

screenshot.jpg

This isn't some kind of HOME menu extension, injection, patch, etc.: uLaunch is an entire reimplementation (of key components), 100% open-source!

Let uLaunch be the HOME menu Nintendo never bothered to make!

Last edited by XorTroll,

Chrisssj2

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I stopwatched it. When Injecting the payload for atmosphere.. I see nintendo logo, and battery icon from switch.
Then I stop watch it from there. It takes 51 seconds to load the login screen of Ulaunch. Before I see anything.. 51 secs blackscreen..

It also takes about 1 minute to go back to the homescreen when you presh the home button... and then you will have an "afterimage" in the theme of the app you were playing.

Anyone know fix?

Some suggestions to make this more useable:

1. When scrolling all the way to the right on the home menu please make an option for a way faster scroll for people that have many many titles on their screen.
The current scrolling takes ages with the number of titles I have.
Would be nice to skip 50 titles in a heartbeat.

2. Booting takes 51 seconds. Homemenu/takes around 58 seconds

3. Deleting/renaming folders

4. Making more folders/icons fit the initial screen perhaps a dual row version? For people with alot of titles there will be alot of folders possibly to differentiate the different titles. Causing people with alot of folders to scroll alot just to find one game.
Currently only 4 icons/folders fit the screen. A dual row version where the icons would be smaller.. would be nice.. so we can have like 8 folders or even 16 folders on screen. More alike the 3ds... Preferably 16 folders.. Because I will make folders like this " single player metacritic 0-40, singleplayer metacritic 40-50, singleplayer metcritic 50-60 and so on, and the same for Local split screen games..

Last edited by Chrisssj2,

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I've said that before but I'll repeat myself:
This is likely to become one of the best homebrew projects around with so much potential for future releases.
Thanks for your hard work, XorTroll.

That being said I'm really suprised how many people care about the FLOG replacement.
Are you all really using CFW on online sysNAND regularly? Wow ...
I for myself try to keep that to a bare minimum (only use AMS on sysNAND to backup saves with Checkpoint).
However as someone already suggested, giving the user the option to choose another installed title (Pokémon Quest or any demo should work) would be a good solution for those brave men.

Reactions: Ka_Ninja

therealhoothoot

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
That's the best: thanks to my approach, uLaunch by itself only consumes 8MB of memory compared to original HOME menu's 56MB :)
And at the same time I have hw-accelerated graphics and a really cool UI, it's all explained in GitHub ;)

Oddly enough it's slower (sluggish) than the original, especially when switching from in-game to home menu. I guess that's because of the snapshot it takes of the game which shows in the background behind the icons?

In any case, it's a great first launch, however speed is my most important factor with home menus so I will stick to the original for now.

Chocola

GBAtemp Meowgular
Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, South
A lot of things remain, but I like see that project finally get relased ^^

I test it and works very fine (no slow loads or anything that some people report), just I miss a lot of things of qLaunch (album, controllers menu, settings menu...)

On my opinion, the top bar should be improved to seem more like system UI, dont make it rounded and floating with margin on screen and use simple icons instead colored icons for this part.

Cortexfou

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
idk if it was mentionned before but is it possible to acces the console options and have the games info (the same thing when you press + on games icon on the normal menu) ? If not, I hope it'll be possible soon

Chrisssj2

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Bro...
You found the problem yourself.
Nope. you don't know what you speak off. Xortroll just said to me that shouldn't be the problem on discord...
"1k? of what, installed titles?
it shouldnt be that slow anyway"

Also someone else said "Nope icons are cached on the sdmc"

Last edited by Chrisssj2,

CaptainHIT

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I'm so happy to see such a launcher has been developed and released. Though when I heard "uLaunch" I thought it was the homebrew launcher which I was using on my PS2 with the same name. I hope the PS2 community is alright with that name.

Chrisssj2

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Cool
Maybe you could try putting them all in folders and see if that fixes the problem
How do you think I'd try that? selecting by pressing Y 1280 times? and then pressing left analogue sticks for 15 minutes or longer to go all the way to the left to a folder?
It would take me hours.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9PnFJMnYT0