Two Obsidian RPGs, Pillars of Eternity and Tyranny, will be free on Epic Games Store next week

iGgk6Za.png

Epic Games is bringing a double feature of Obsidian goodness soon. Starting next week, the storefront will be giving away both Pillars of Eternity and Tyranny, two old school-styled western RPGs from Obsidian. Pillars of Eternity is a crowdfunded game made by the developers of Fallout: New Vegas, where you venture across the world of Eora, getting to choose between different factions, varied character builds, and lots of dialogue options. Pillars, being well received both critically and commercially eventually went on to get a sequel in 2018. The other game, Tyranny, wasn't as much of a commercial success, though it was still praised by critics and players for giving them branching story options and letting them choose between ruling as someone good or evil. Both games will be free to keep on December 10th, while Cave Story+ is currently being given away until then.

:arrow: Source

Valery0p

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Both games will be free to keep on December 10th, while Cave Story+ is currently being given away until then.
Why isn't this on the headline? :D
EDIT: psa: Nicalis is pulling a Pokemon Company on decompilations of the original freeware game and fan mods based on those engines. The timing of this takedowns with the sales on the Epic Games store is interesting...
https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2...kedown_notices_to_free_versions_of_cave_story
Support Pixel if you can.

Last edited by Valery0p,

AkiraKurusu

Pokémon's dead
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
So Epic's now deciding to compete properly, instead of strong-arm tactics?
Took the fuckers long enough - has their pathetic storefront and launcher improved at all? How's that roadmap thing looking?

Silent_Gunner

Crazy Cool Cyclops
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So Epic's now deciding to compete properly, instead of strong-arm tactics?
Took the fuckers long enough - has their pathetic storefront and launcher improved at all? How's that roadmap thing looking?

Thing is, said strong arm tactics didn't make me want to flock to their store anymore considering a lot of those were used for games that were timed exclusives.

Even then, I've no plans to play Fortnite anytime soon, and the Unreal Tournament games can be bought on GOG and Steam.

Reactions: AkiraKurusu

LightBeam

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Only thing that will make me want to buy stuff would be them finally being willing to update Unreal Tournament 4
Even back in the day they just had a few employees, it was so cheap to them but it was working great and since Fortnite came in they just had to make everyone crunch

Just revive Unreal Tournament and I'll reconsider

Silent_Gunner

Crazy Cool Cyclops
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Only thing that will make me want to buy stuff would be them finally being willing to update Unreal Tournament 4
Even back in the day they just had a few employees, it was so cheap to them but it was working great and since Fortnite came in they just had to make everyone crunch

Just revive Unreal Tournament and I'll reconsider

Considering that, last I checked, they were letting the community develop the game...I'm gonna have to push X to doubt on it making a triumphant return.

We still have the old games to go back to...

...that reminds me, I should dig up that one level I made back in the day in UT2004...

LightBeam

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Yeah but it's only mods and without any support from Epic, it's still pretty much dormant, they used to have a marketplace for mods and people were supposed to ĥave some profit from paid skins they develop
And the community still can't have the game out of pre-alpha state, but yeah at this point even a beta state would be a living dream

Silent_Gunner

Crazy Cool Cyclops
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah but it's only mods and without any support from Epic, it's still pretty much dormant, they used to have a marketplace for mods and people were supposed to ĥave some profit from paid skins they develop
And the community still can't have the game out of pre-alpha state, but yeah at this point even a beta state would be a living dream

The fact that people want to be paid to make mods is kind of sad tbh.

On the one hand, I get it: if you make something of retail or exceeding quality, it'd be nice to have an incentive for making something better.

On the other hand tho, mods used to be labors of love and passion, and a way to make games fun in ways that wouldn't be possible in other retail games, and especially most console games nowadays. I remember being blown away that the PS3 version of UT3 allowed one to import mods, maps, skins, models, and other things to console in a way that Bethesda supporting mods on consoles could never recreate, based on what I've heard about its implementation on that platform. Sure, you couldn't import more elaborate stuff from these mods, but it's one of those things that I'm glad to have an archive for since a lot of those old sites have unfortunately closed down, time and the world moves on, and the way things used to be is buried underneath suitcases full of Benjamin Franklin's, copyright, trademark, and patent documents, and business owners who care not for country, community, or individual except for the value they provide to them.

LightBeam

Trophies
XP
Country
France
The fact that people want to be paid to make mods is kind of sad tbh.

On the one hand, I get it: if you make something of retail or exceeding quality, it'd be nice to have an incentive for making something better.

On the other hand tho, mods used to be labors of love and passion, and a way to make games fun in ways that wouldn't be possible in other retail games, and especially most console games nowadays. I remember being blown away that the PS3 version of UT3 allowed one to import mods, maps, skins, models, and other things to console in a way that Bethesda supporting mods on consoles could never recreate, based on what I've heard about its implementation on that platform. Sure, you couldn't import more elaborate stuff from these mods, but it's one of those things that I'm glad to have an archive for since a lot of those old sites have unfortunately closed down, time and the world moves on, and the way things used to be is buried underneath suitcases full of Benjamin Franklin's, copyright, trademark, and patent documents, and business owners who care not for country, community, or individual except for the value they provide to them.
Well I was talking specifically about skins, which are already paid in most of online games nowadays. It reminds me of Warframe which do release skins made by fans from time to time and they get a fair amount of money from the sales, some are so good and successful that sometimes they decide to do that on full time.
But I wouldn't pay for a map or a mod, certainly not. A skin would be okay I guess, even tho I don't like that, people tend to accept the « cosmetic only MTX » thing

AkiraKurusu

Pokémon's dead
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Thing is, said strong arm tactics didn't make me want to flock to their store anymore considering a lot of those were used for games that were timed exclusives.

Even then, I've no plans to play Fortnite anytime soon, and the Unreal Tournament games can be bought on GOG and Steam.
Yeah, I wasn't going to get them from Epic Fail either; I utterly refuse to get their godawful program, for obvious reasons. They're scum to me, and I doubt that will ever change. I also hate just how banal "children buying fake money using parent's credit card" has become, what with that sickening "ask Mommy for the V-Bucks" song that's been spread around.

Reactions: Silent_Gunner

Silent_Gunner

Crazy Cool Cyclops
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I wasn't going to get them from Epic Fail either; I utterly refuse to get their godawful program, for obvious reasons. They're scum to me, and I doubt that will ever change. I also hate just how banal "children buying fake money using parent's credit card" has become, what with that sickening "ask Mommy for the V-Bucks" song that's been spread around.

FR? Kids want money for more money?

Man, I remember wanting a PS2...and then wanting and eventually working for a PS3. And games for said systems. Not digital currency to buy random crap in a game in which you really own nothing.

Reactions: AkiraKurusu

Julie_Pilgrim

Secretly three raccoons in a trench coat
Trophies
Website
zoey-on-github.github.io
XP
Country
United States

isoboy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hate on EGS or whatever all you want but they've given away both old bad games as well as brand new great ones. Yooka-Laylee and The Impossible Lair comes to mind so if you don't have access to free games in "various ways" then EGS might be worth taking a look at.

AkiraKurusu

Pokémon's dead
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Hate on EGS or whatever all you want but they've given away both old bad games as well as brand new great ones. Yooka-Laylee and The Impossible Lair comes to mind so if you don't have access to free games in "various ways" then EGS might be worth taking a look at.
True, and just using Eurghpic for free games wouldn't be giving those scumbags any money (always a good thing), but I don't even want to give them any of my emails. None of them, not even my really old "use this one for stuff I don't care much about" address. And financially supporting devs is a good thing, most of the time.

1c4rus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Great games and both are complete editions even tho article doesn't mention that. Epic Games kicking it and it must be great times for being a gamer where there are options for everyone to get enjoyment of gaming. Don't mind some conservative virgins with tin foil has to say.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over