Two Obsidian RPGs, Pillars of Eternity and Tyranny, will be free on Epic Games Store next week

iGgk6Za.png

Epic Games is bringing a double feature of Obsidian goodness soon. Starting next week, the storefront will be giving away both Pillars of Eternity and Tyranny, two old school-styled western RPGs from Obsidian. Pillars of Eternity is a crowdfunded game made by the developers of Fallout: New Vegas, where you venture across the world of Eora, getting to choose between different factions, varied character builds, and lots of dialogue options. Pillars, being well received both critically and commercially eventually went on to get a sequel in 2018. The other game, Tyranny, wasn't as much of a commercial success, though it was still praised by critics and players for giving them branching story options and letting them choose between ruling as someone good or evil. Both games will be free to keep on December 10th, while Cave Story+ is currently being given away until then.

:arrow: Source

AkiraKurusu

Pokémon's dead
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Great games and both are complete editions even tho article doesn't mention that. Epic Games kicking it and it must be great times for being a gamer where there are options for everyone to get enjoyment of gaming. Don't mind some conservative virgins with tin foil has to say.
Well, I am a virgin (don't even want a girlfriend; never have), and do hold some "conservative" opinions (if you can call them that - for example, my preference for 1950s sex relations over today's, but I vehemently despise those long-lived cults with a PR-positive name in "religion"), but I certainly do not have a tinfoil hat. That's just too shiny, too crinkly and noisy, and too stereotypically conspiracy - and Epic being awful is no darn conspiracy.

I agree with your main point, though. More options is always brilliant.

isoboy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Great games and both are complete editions even tho article doesn't mention that. Epic Games kicking it and it must be great times for being a gamer where there are options for everyone to get enjoyment of gaming. Don't mind some conservative virgins with tin foil has to say.

Amen.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So Epic's now deciding to compete properly, instead of strong-arm tactics?
Strong arm tactics is things like join us or we hurt you. As this isn't Japan ( https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2...ister_to_stop_them_from_working_with_nintendo ) they tend not to send round the boys to break your fingers, or ransom a bird back to you, and thus the equivalent would be "that project there you have a few years in already for, would be a shame if someone happened to file a copyright/patent lawsuit". Indeed small indie devs even seem inclined to blast their terms to the public and say "thanks but no thanks" https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019...down-the-security-of-epics-exclusivity-offer/

"Join us and we will pay you" is bog standard and boring business. Making your offerings stand out from the crowd and overcoming the laziness/familiarness barrier, especially when your competitor essentially has a monopoly, is equally bog standard and boring business.

isoboy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't give a crap about what Epic does or does not stand for. To me it's just another software client that happens to bring me some good free games sometimes.

slaphappygamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only reason I joined epic games was for gtaV, when it went free. If it weren’t for that, I probably would’ve just joined to get cavestory. Now I just need a pc to game on. I’ve been a good boy, Santa, I swear.

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

Julie_Pilgrim

Secretly three raccoons in a trench coat
Trophies
Website
zoey-on-github.github.io
XP
Country
United States
The only reason I joined epic games was for gtaV, when it went free. If it weren’t for that, I probably would’ve just joined to get cavestory. Now I just need a pc to game on. I’ve been a good boy, Santa, I swear.
Play cse2 instead

Reactions: slaphappygamer

NeroAngelo

Clueless Importer
Trophies
XP
Country
Libya
hate on the Epic store all you want, but out of all the digital storefronts I know it is the only one that has GREAT regional pricing (games that would cost me like $40 out of region cost me like $15 on Epic for ex.).
and their Free-Games promotion has been stellar.

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I'm in my birthday suit! Lol