Two Gamepads, or One?

Discussion in 'Wii U - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by 3DPiper, Nov 21, 2012.

Nov 21, 2012

Two Gamepads, or One? by 3DPiper at 3:47 PM (581 Views / 0 Likes) 4 replies

1. 3DPiper
    OP

Member 3DPiper GBAtemp Fan

United States
    How many gamepads can the Wii U use?

I've read one and two ...

?

2. Shuji1987

Member Shuji1987 ~

Netherlands
    The WiiU supports two as far as I know. However gamepads won't be sold separately for the time being. Due to availability of the gamepads as well as no games supporting multiple gamepads yet.

3. Deltaechoe

Member Deltaechoe The Dopefish

United States
    Last I heard is that the Wii U supports 2 gamepads, but just given the hardware in the system I have a feeling that perforance will suffer if you do this

4. djbubba2002

Member djbubba2002 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Haiti
    I have two gamepads but i never turn the another one on yet hehe

5. DiscostewSM

Member DiscostewSM GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    Nintendo has said that it won't support multiple gamepads at launch, but probably will in the future. As for performance with two, it was said that the frame rate on the gamepads will drop from 60 to 30. My belief is it will do a method of interleaving, in that for the odd frames, it will render from player 1's perspective and send to player 1. For the even frames, it will render from player 2's perspective and send to player 2. This way, there is no change to the amount of data that gets sent out wirelessly every frame.

So, if 3 were supported, it would be 20 fps per gamepad, and for 4 gamepads, 15fps.

crono141 likes this.