Hacking [Tutorial] How to "Undub" Zelda: Breath of the Wild

FlappyFalco

Smile, No Matter How Bad it Gets~
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
OK, I have some good news. Turns out I'm an idiot and the code (.rpx) for all versions is exactly the same, so in theory, they should all be set up for the voices from any region, including Japanese, no need to tamper with the code folder. Thing is, every time I try to add the Japanese voice files with FTPiiU, they get deleted after I boot the game. I think title.fst is a file list and anything not on that file list is deleted when you start the game. While this method should work for people using CEMU or SDCaffiine, it looks like the rest of us are going to have to install the whole game again after all.. ...groan.

Reactions: thrik

thrik

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it looks like the rest of us are going to have to install the whole game again after all.. ...groan.

Small price to pay, lol. I already deleted my old undub and installed vanilla Zelda BotW instead, to avoid complications. So it's quite literally no problem to do it again if need be.

What exactly is the solution for Jap undub then? Won't the game still delete the Jap files if we make the undub before putting it on our Wii U's? Sorry for not understanding.

FlappyFalco

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
Small price to pay, lol. I already deleted my old undub and installed vanilla Zelda BotW instead, to avoid complications. So it's quite literally no problem to do it again if need be.

What exactly is the solution for Jap undub then? Won't the game still delete the Jap files if we make the undub before putting it on our Wii U's? Sorry for not understanding.

The title.fst is only generated when the game is installed. So if you added the JP voice files, then used NUSPacker, and WUPInstalled the .app files, then a valid title.fst would be generated, saying that the there should be JP voice files there, and so they won't be deleted. I think.

Reactions: thrik

thrik

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The title.fst is only generated when the game is installed. So if you added the JP voice files, then used NUSPacker, and WUPInstalled the .app files, then a valid title.fst would be generated, saying that the there should be JP voice files there, and so they won't be deleted. I think.

I love tinkering so I find this process pretty fun, despite how tedious it may seem at times. My SD card reader will be arriving soon, so I think I will be able to try this today (I spent much of yesterday transferring to my SD card over FTP lol). I will let you know how it goes, and I'll post here if I have questions.

Reactions: FlappyFalco

Takfloyd

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
This may have been mentioned before, but I found a fatal error with the original undub method from this thread. My setup is the European English version with Jap voices. It's a story-related moment so I'll spoiler tag it. In the Korok forest,
if you don't have enough hearts when attempting to pull out the Master Sword, the game will crash.

It's not a huge issue and won't prevent you from progressing as long as you meet the requirements, but warrants mention anyway.

Ilakit

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
You confuse me, I thought the new idea is to install the japanese version and replace the japanese text (in case you want to have the japanese voices).

Also I followed your *new* way of doing the undub [EUde to JPja for me]
Instructions unclear, if you talk about the Update which one do you mean (there are 2 right?!)
and I got stuck on "esarcpack.py Bootup_EUde.pack_extracted". The script doesn't create any files for me

my workspace looks like this
Code:
workspace:.
├─ToMainGame
│  │  Bootup_EUde.pack
│  │  ESARCPack.py
│  │  RegionLangMask.txt
│  │
│  └─Bootup_EUde.pack_extracted
│      └─Message
│              Msg_JPja.product.ssarc
│
└─ToUpdate
    │  Bootup_EUde.pack
    │  ESARCPack.py
    │
    └─Bootup_EUde.pack_extracted
        └─Message
                Msg_JPja.product.ssarc

FlappyFalco

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
You confuse me, I thought the new idea is to install the japanese version and replace the japanese text (in case you want to have the japanese voices).

Instructions unclear, if you talk about the Update which one do you mean (there are 2 right?!)
and I got stuck on "esarcpack.py Bootup_EUde.pack_extracted". The script doesn't create any files for me

Code:
├─ToMainGame
│  │  Bootup_EUde.pack
│  │  ESARCPack.py
│  │  RegionLangMask.txt
│  │
│      └─Message
│
└─ToUpdate
    │  Bootup_EUde.pack
    │  ESARCPack.py
    │
        └─Message
                Msg_JPja.product.ssarc

Do you have both Python 2 and 3 installed?

Xirix

Trophies
XP
Country
Looks like it was a good thing I waited, I assume the rewritten OP now results in a perfect Undub with no lingering english audio or muted bits?

I'd be using the PAL UK copy of the game to get Japanese voices.

Last edited by Xirix,

Bearzerg

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France

Code:
├─ToMainGame
│  │  Bootup_EUde.pack
│  │  ESARCPack.py
│  │  RegionLangMask.txt
│  │
│      └─Message
│
└─ToUpdate
    │  Bootup_EUde.pack
    │  ESARCPack.py
    │
        └─Message
                Msg_JPja.product.ssarc

Yes, I got the same problem, python 3 doesn't know the "xrange" command, use python 2.7 instead, it worked fine for me.

The problem is, whenever I try to overwrite the files of my jap instalation with the modified ones, (EUfr for me) the game just doesn't load, (I got the splash screen, but the wii u freezes after that) and when I reboot, relaunch mocha cfw, the game runs fine... But in Japanese. So I looked to the files with ftpiiu, and the RegionLangMask.txt (or whatever it's called, I don't have the file under my eyes at the moment) was exactly the same than the one I replaced with ftpiiu. So I guess the previous freeze of my wii u was the game "fixing" the modified files.

(and I tried repacking the modified game with NUSPacker, and I don't know if I didn't did the things right of if it doesn't work, but the fact is, it simply doesn't install)

FlappyFalco

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
Yes, I got the same problem, python 3 doesn't know the "xrange" command, use python 2.7 instead, it worked fine for me.

The problem is, whenever I try to overwrite the files of my jap instalation with the modified ones, (EUfr for me) the game just doesn't load, (I got the splash screen, but the wii u freezes after that) and when I reboot, relaunch mocha cfw, the game runs fine... But in Japanese. So I looked to the files with ftpiiu, and the RegionLangMask.txt (or whatever it's called, I don't have the file under my eyes at the moment) was exactly the same than the one I replaced with ftpiiu. So I guess the previous freeze of my wii u was the game "fixing" the modified files.

(and I tried repacking the modified game with NUSPacker, and I don't know if I didn't did the things right of if it doesn't work, but the fact is, it simply doesn't install)

Yeah, you need to reinstall unfortunately. There's a file that's created when you install called title.fst, it's a file list, and any file not on it gets deleted when you launch the game.

As for the install failing, did you delete your existing copy of the game first? That would cause WUPInstaller to fail.

Anyway, I should probably say that we're still working out how exactly to do this for a JP undub, but we're pretty sure it's possible.

S77

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm giving it another try, didn't mess with the code folder this time, just replaced the bootup files in both game and update folder, added TitleBG_JPja and modified the RegionLangMask file. Uninstalled both game and update and now I'm installing again, let's see if it works.

EDIT: Stuck on the first screen, game does not load.

Last edited by S77,

Bearzerg

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Yeah, you need to reinstall unfortunately. There's a file that's created when you install called title.fst, it's a file list, and any file not on it gets deleted when you launch the game.

As for the install failing, did you delete your existing copy of the game first? That would cause WUPInstaller to fail.

Anyway, I should probably say that we're still working out how exactly to do this for a JP undub, but we're pretty sure it's possible.

Yep I deleted my previous copy, to make a clean install. But I think something is wrong with my use of NUSPacker, because the encrypted files size is 9,30go, and the official file size is 9,33go.

EDIT: by the way, is there a way to modify the title.fst file after installing the game ?

Last edited by Bearzerg,

S77

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Allright, the problem is that the game files and the update files are being merged for some reason. This is how the game looks in data management after installing the game and update with modified files:

001.jpg

Last edited by S77,

FlappyFalco

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
Alright, the problem is that the game files and the update files are being merged for some reason. This is how the game looks in data management after installing the game and update with modified files:

View attachment 83836

That's weird. The update should be at least 2 gigs (2,000,000KB) and the whole thing should be 12GB. Are you sure you didn't merge the update and main game folders before you used NUSpacker? That would cause problems. If that's not the case, how big were your .app files before you installed?

S77

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Game files, 27 files, 9.92GB.
Update files, 21 files, 2.29GB.

Installed them normally, game first then update. This happened yesterday when I changed the code folder, and it happens now with the original code folder too. However, when I install the normal undub (voice folder copied) and the original update, it goes back to normal with 10GB game and 2GB update on the data management. Don't know what could cause this.

Also, is there a new update for the game? The one I have is v64 and the game says ver. 1.1.2.

Last edited by S77,
Reactions: FlappyFalco

Ilakit

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Do you have both Python 2 and 3 installed?
Yes. uninstalling python 3 and reinstalling python 2 also didn't work for me... I figured the problem. Not familiar with python, but my problem was that pyhton did not recognize the parameter argv[1]
Code:
esarcpack.py Bootup_EUen.pack_extracted
for whatever reasons. Adding python to PATH and calling it with prefix "python" worked though.

Game files, 27 files, 9.92GB.
Update files, 21 files, 2.29GB.

Installed them normally, game first then update. This happened yesterday when I changed the code folder, and it happens now with the original code folder too. However, when I install the normal undub (voice folder copied) and the original update, it goes back to normal with 10GB game and 2GB update on the data management. Don't know what could cause this.

Also, is there a new update for the game? The one I have is v64 and the game says ver. 1.1.2.
interesting Wii U USB helper only shows me 1.1.1 (v48) yet

Last edited by Ilakit,

Bearzerg

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Well my theory is : the problem with the game not launching was with the update. I just installed the Japanese patched game with wup installer and let the game update the official way, just to see if the game launches, and, well, it launches, but still in jap (obviously). I'm not sure but when I first downloaded the Japanese update, it was v48, and now it's v64, maybe the files were incompatible? (since the European update was v64)

AlternativeZero

Trophies
XP
Country
Okay, so here is the result of some experimentation that is unfortunately limited to cemu since I don't have a Wii U.

For some reason perhaps because the language is not supported but using this current method to add English text to the Japanese game will crash cemu, it's probably a cemu problem but since no one has tried it on the Wii U, I don't know if this will happen on the console as well. Using the old method or just loading up the Japanese game without any changes will play normally so there definitely is something incompatible here.

I'm sure it is possible to undub the game, we just haven't found it yet.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: ballcock