Hacking 【Tutorial】How to play Mario Kart 8 DLC tracks in Loadiine in a quick/dirty way

jebediah

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok I cannot make a fool-proof tutorial about this just now because I didn't do much troubleshooting, but feel free to follow my steps if you want to play the 16 new DLC tracks of Mario Kart 8 running in Loadiine.

EDIT: now with DLC background music too!

Limitations
  • Offline only obviously
  • New tracks are actually swapped with original ones
  • M̶u̶s̶i̶c̶ ̶f̶r̶o̶m̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶n̶e̶w̶ ̶t̶r̶a̶c̶k̶s̶ ̶c̶a̶n̶'̶t̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶p̶l̶a̶y̶e̶d̶,̶ ̶s̶o̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶c̶a̶n̶ ̶c̶h̶o̶o̶s̶e̶ ̶b̶e̶t̶w̶e̶e̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶m̶u̶s̶i̶c̶ ̶f̶r̶o̶m̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶t̶r̶a̶c̶k̶s̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶r̶e̶p̶l̶a̶c̶e̶,̶ ̶o̶r̶ ̶n̶o̶ ̶m̶u̶s̶i̶c̶ ̶a̶t̶ ̶a̶l̶l̶ ̶(̶n̶o̶t̶ ̶s̶o̶ ̶n̶i̶c̶e̶)̶
  • Not sure if battle mode works
Tested setup
  • Firmware 5.3.2 EU
  • Mario Kart 8 EU updated to 4.1
  • Loadiine 4.0 with Smash Bros Mode (Mii Maker mode doesn't work with MK8 4.1 update)

Steps

1. Get your hands on a dump of the DLC 1 and 2

2. The new DLC tracks are contained in separate folders within the "course" folders. For instance, the files for the Ribbon Road track are in a folder named "Dagb_RibbonRoad" in "course"

3. On your SD card which contains your MK8 game files, locate the original track you want to be replaced with any desired DLC track. They are in SDCard/wiiu/games/MK8foldername/content/course.

NOTE: They have prefixes which will help you figure out what system the track was originally released on. For instance, "G3ds_DKJungle" is the DK Jungle track from the 3DS system, and "Gu_Techno" is the Electrodrome track first released on the Wii U.

4. Delete every file in such folder except for the .bars file which is the music track, unless you want to play without the music.

N̶O̶T̶E̶:̶-̶I̶f̶-̶y̶o̶u̶-̶r̶e̶p̶l̶a̶c̶e̶-̶t̶h̶i̶s̶-̶f̶i̶l̶e̶-̶w̶i̶t̶h̶-̶t̶h̶e̶-̶.̶b̶a̶r̶s̶-̶f̶i̶l̶e̶-̶f̶r̶o̶m̶-̶t̶h̶e̶-̶D̶L̶C̶-̶t̶r̶a̶c̶k̶-̶a̶n̶d̶-̶r̶e̶n̶a̶m̶e̶-̶i̶t̶,̶-̶t̶h̶e̶-̶g̶a̶m̶e̶-̶w̶i̶l̶l̶-̶c̶r̶a̶s̶h̶-̶u̶p̶o̶n̶-̶l̶o̶a̶d̶i̶n̶g̶-̶t̶h̶e̶-̶t̶r̶a̶c̶k̶.̶-̶B̶u̶t̶-̶i̶f̶-̶y̶o̶u̶-̶j̶u̶s̶t̶-̶d̶e̶l̶e̶t̶e̶-̶i̶t̶-̶a̶n̶d̶-̶d̶o̶-̶n̶o̶t̶-̶r̶e̶p̶l̶a̶c̶e̶-̶i̶t̶,̶-̶t̶h̶e̶-̶t̶r̶a̶c̶k̶-̶w̶i̶l̶l̶-̶s̶t̶i̶l̶l̶-̶l̶o̶a̶d̶,̶-̶j̶u̶s̶t̶-̶w̶i̶t̶h̶o̶u̶t̶-̶b̶a̶c̶k̶g̶r̶o̶u̶n̶d̶-̶m̶u̶s̶i̶c̶.̶-̶S̶o̶-̶i̶f̶-̶y̶o̶u̶'̶d̶-̶r̶a̶t̶h̶e̶r̶-̶h̶a̶v̶e̶-̶a̶-̶w̶r̶o̶n̶g̶-̶t̶u̶n̶e̶-̶t̶h̶a̶n̶-̶n̶o̶n̶e̶,̶-̶y̶o̶u̶-̶m̶a̶y̶-̶w̶a̶n̶t̶-̶t̶o̶-̶p̶i̶c̶k̶-̶t̶r̶a̶c̶k̶s̶-̶w̶h̶o̶s̶e̶-̶m̶u̶s̶i̶c̶-̶s̶h̶a̶r̶e̶s̶-̶a̶-̶s̶i̶m̶i̶l̶a̶r̶-̶m̶o̶o̶d̶. EDIT: see step 7 for how to add DLC background music

5. Paste in there all the files from the DLC track folder, except the .bars background music file, and take note of which track you swapped it with.

WARNING: in the dump I used, the Mute City DLC track had one file mispelled as "course_muuntO.byaml" instead of "course_muunt.byaml", so be sure to rename it accordingly, or the game will crash upon loading the track.

6. Copy all the folders found in the "mapobj" folders contained in the DLC dump, and paste them into the MK8foldername/content/mapobj folder on your SD card.

7. Browse to the MK8foldername/content/audio/stream folder where the background music is stored. Each race comes with 2 background music files, one ending with "N" (normal pace?) and one ending with "F" (final lap's pace?). Locate the music files of the desired DLC track and the original track you replaced it with, make a copy of the DLC track's music files and rename them exactly as the original track's, matching the N and F files respectively. So for instance, if you want to replace Electrodrome with Ribbon Road, you'd have to
copy "pBGM_GBA_RIBBONROAD_N.bfstm"
rename it as "pBGM_WU_TECHNO_N.bfstm"
then copy "pBGM_GBA_RIBBONROAD_F.bfstm"
rename it as "pBGM_WU_TECHNO_F.bfstm"

8. This *probably* means that if you feel like adding custom music, you can convert any tune to the BFSTM format using nasty's BRSTM/BCSTM/BFSTM Conversion Tool, and go through step 7 the same way. I haven't tested this yet.

8. Put your SD Card back in the Wii U and load your hacked MK8 game!

9. If that was worth it, say thanks! or just press the Like button :)

Improvements

I̶t̶'̶d̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶n̶i̶c̶e̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶a̶b̶l̶e̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶p̶l̶a̶y̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶D̶L̶C̶ ̶b̶a̶c̶k̶g̶r̶o̶u̶n̶d̶ ̶m̶u̶s̶i̶c̶,̶ ̶I̶ ̶j̶u̶s̶t̶ ̶h̶a̶v̶e̶n̶'̶t̶ ̶m̶e̶s̶s̶e̶d̶ ̶a̶r̶o̶u̶n̶d̶ ̶l̶o̶n̶g̶ ̶e̶n̶o̶u̶g̶h̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶f̶i̶g̶u̶r̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶t̶ ̶a̶ ̶w̶a̶y̶ ̶j̶u̶s̶t̶ ̶y̶e̶t̶. Done.

Playing with DLC characters (at least visuals and voice)

Anybody knows what are the "battle_muunt.byaml" and "course_muunt_200.byaml" files for? For some reason they are not here for every track.

Last edited by jebediah,

memomo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Trophies
XP
Country
for clarification :

This does not mean to unlock the DLC

This is basically mean Inject a DLC map to a pre-existing/non-DLC map

example from my console, inject a DLC map like (Yoshi Circuit)

2.jpg

to a pre-existing/non-DLC map like (Moo Moo Meadows)

1.jpg

and this is the result

20160218_153527.jpg

Instead of this

mario-kart-8-moo-moo-meadows.jpg

WekkinsWiiU

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Kakkoii

Old fart
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
There should be a way too to just add the DLC to the disk and play everything just fine but it's yet for somebody to figure out, isn't it?
Not until someone releases a method for installing unsigned content, like what Smealum and Ryan have been teasing. You need a ticket file to install the DLC, and you can't get that with just NUSgrabber, it only comes with update content.

Don Jon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so im guessing loading times are not a problem huh

i mentioned this to bullywiiplaza on his youtube a long time ago but through the process of caffiine.

glad to find out it works and even better'

Kakkoii

Old fart
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
But it's signed content, the original Nintendo DLC. WUP installer could at least install signed content, that's why I was wondering :P
EShop DLC is different than Update content. Update content comes with the Ticket (.tik) to decrypt those signed files. DLC does not unless you pay for it, that's the difference.

Reactions: BullyWiiPlaza

BullyWiiPlaza

Nintendo Hacking <3
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
EShop DLC is different than Update content. Update content comes with the Ticket (.tik) to decrypt those signed files. DLC does not unless you pay for it, that's the difference.
So people got the DLC files by using Cafiine or something? Because pulling them from the update server and decrypting them is not possible then

jebediah

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just figured how to add the DLC background music to every track. OP edited accordingly. Anybody figured how to replace the characters and add voices? I've had many crashes trying this.

Last edited by jebediah,
Reactions: memomo and eco95

Reecey

Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)
Trophies
XP
Country
I tried really hard last night for ages to get this DLC working I even changed all file names and took the DL_ bit off to see if that works but it didn't, quite annoying took along time also I tried putting the 00XX folders next to content and code still did not work also other places. I really don't know how to inject them, really in terms it should be the same as any update folders you should just be able to copy & paste them all to the correct folders but for some strange reason they wont work. If the person used TCPGecko to extract them they must of come from somewhere within the structure if we knew it might work, I don't think it just came from vol/content/course/ or vol/content/mapobj... from cafine server?

Last edited by Reecey,

jebediah

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Reecey Are you trying to achieve something more than described here? I'm not sure what exactly you're after, but if it's activating the DLC files, this has been tried before and cannot be achieved in a simple way. Something to do with a random ticket that's downloaded only when the DLC is actually purchased and decrypts the necessary data to activate the DLC.

Nice job @Masterwin , now will you add the music part for the Spanish-speaking world?

Last edited by jebediah,
Reactions: Masterwin

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    True, everything almost double nowadays
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    But I could go to Aldis and get a cookie pie for like $4
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Or use your new cooking pan and make some, don't mind the Old leftover foods mixed in.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Just eat plain flour around cops
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    thats Gluten abuse, they would shoot you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Depends on the color chart
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Wheat flour has a lower chance at survival
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Isn't wheat flour the whitest of the white?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Rye would get shot at sight.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Depends
    img_5941-1.jpeg
    everyone mixing their flour now days
  • Veho @ Veho:
    That's whole wheat, right? Because all purpose flour is also made from wheat.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm not a flour expert I just snort it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    There also is black rice flour, and its really black colored
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Bruh that's gray.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's ancientboi color
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    You need to add some activated charcoal.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I've seen some that are dark dark, my wifey uses it sometimes in her bs recipes
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Cool.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BigOnYa, Seems like your wifey likes hers black. :creep:
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    "BS" stands for "Bowel Scraping" because that's what whole grain does.
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I've been eating honey wheat bread scrumptious
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    https://a.co/d/9xDkOHc lol living on the edge
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://a.co/d/9xDkOHc lol living on the edge