ROM Hack [Tutorial] Edit the HomeMenu

NightScript

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, um, anyways, sorry for the bump, but I have a question on the home menu Icons....

On that top-left corner, there is a menu. On the bottom of that menu, there are icons for the System Settings and the Eshop.

How would I change those to redirect to other apps?

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
On that top-left corner, there is a menu. On the bottom of that menu, there are icons for the System Settings and the Eshop.

How would I change those to redirect to other apps?

It wasn't figured out, AFAIK

nice, cant wait to go too far and brick!
No problem, you have a nand backup from when you started hacking, and smart people do them every now and then :)

Koveryl

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, this is going to be really dirty because I am trying to recall events that took place back in like July when I pulled an all nighter. Basically, this is what i did to edit textures inside of lz files that are used by the UI. This is very limited because Nintendo is dirty as well.

(THIS IS NOT SOME TUTORIAL, JUST NOTES ON WHAT I FOUND IS POSSIBLE TO DO WITH LZ.BINS)

You will need the following (google these, I'm too lazy to get these for you; this is just a list of things that I mentioned in old logs, most of these should apply if you plan on doing some large overhaul):
png2bclim
some darc (de)compressor (idr if pk3ds works or not, I think it might have been one way or something)
msbt editor reloaded (one that has all the (de)compressors working, latest should be fine)
every file explorer (there is a thread somewhere on here with this)
image editor
hex editor
ohana3ds and ohana3ds rebirth

Basically, what you want to do is take some lz of whatever you want to edit that is part of the home menu (I will be using sleep_lz.bin as that was the one I spent a stupid amount of time editing)
Use msbt editor to extract the file as lz11. You will end up with a file called sleep_lz.bin.bin, throw this into new ohana to extract files from it. bclim are texture files, bclan is for animations (you cannot do much with this afaik, maybe you can with the sdk, but I don't have access to that), and bclyt are for the UI (you can open this in EFE to see changes without installing the cia each time. Note that these previews may not be accurate). Sleep_lz textures are not tiled, but instead stretched I guess is the word. (the pixels look normal vertically, but horizontally, they are stretched out)

How do I compress again after following these steps? Right now I'm left with a folder with some edited bclims in it and no idea how to repackage this.

ih8ih8sn0w

Koreaboo
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How do I compress again after following these steps? Right now I'm left with a folder with some edited bclims in it and no idea how to repackage this.
You need to hex edit the changes to sleep_lz.bin.bin then use msbt to compress as lz11.
But, in case it did brick how does one restore it?
There is a special button that you (most likely) assigned to a special tool which handles nand backups and restores. Hold that button and click restore nand (keep a9lh).

Koveryl

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You need to hex edit the changes to sleep_lz.bin.bin then use msbt to compress as lz11.

There is a special button that you (most likely) assigned to a special tool which handles nand backups and restores. Hold that button and click restore nand (keep a9lh).

Sorry for what is probably a rather newbish question, but how should I go about this? I have never even touched hex

ih8ih8sn0w

Koreaboo
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry for what is probably a rather newbish question, but how should I go about this? I have never even touched hex
Download HxD, get another copy of the dumped files that you modified, open the bin.bin and the original bclim in HxD (just drag and drop) ctrl+a the unedited file, and copy it. Ctrl+f in the bin.bin and paste what you copied, set it to hex and hit enter. After that, open the edited bclim, copy all of it, and use ctrl+b in the .bin.bin

Koveryl

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Download HxD, get another copy of the dumped files that you modified, open the bin.bin and the original bclim in HxD (just drag and drop) ctrl+a the unedited file, and copy it. Ctrl+f in the bin.bin and paste what you copied, set it to hex and hit enter. After that, open the edited bclim, copy all of it, and use ctrl+b in the .bin.bin
Awesome. Thanks!

Koveryl

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
egh. I've been trying to do this for a fucking WHILE. Could somebody make a .cia for me (of the latest homescreen) that makes these small changes in launcher_lz.bin. I've been trying and keep bricking.

These are the six files I need to modify in launcher_lz:
LncFolderHad_22.bclim
LncFolderHadIn_21
LncFolderShdw_00.bclim
LncFolderShdwLT_10.bclim
LncFolder_14.bclim
LncFolderHadIn_21.bclim

Here's a zip of .bclims I'd like to overwrite the stock blcims with: https://mega.nz/#!bZoHQBQS!yCFQGFe4H5R1pwjYes7r8pcRyul2gR2U28NHPzAtSVI

Having an alt version where LncFolder_14.bclim and LncFolderHadIn_21.bclim are transparent too would be cool but it's fine if you don't wanna make that too, haha.

If anybody could do this, I would love you 4ever

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.instagram.com/reel/C6rI8eXgDxd/?igsh=MWYybHY2YXoyM3I2cQ==