Turned-based games, Is JUST me or....

How do you feel about the TB system used on non-strategy games?

• Total voters

Tigran

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Please... just because it was most peoples *First* FF.. doesn't make 7 good.

It's poorly coded, the caricatures (yes.. caricatures not characters) are horrible, and Areith is the most blatant Mary Sue character.

4, 6, 9, are vastly -vastly- superior, 10 is ehh.. a bit better, but still decent. I personally haven't played 12 yet, so can't say that.

Or he could play Phantasy Star 2... another vastly superior to FF7 game.

banzai200

That dude who does things
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Please please PLEASE play some of the good final fantasy games.

He did, he played 7.

This.
Besides, the story or the graphics don't appeal that much to me, i'm playing it because it's the mainstream FF game(yes, i said it)
I've played 1 as well, but gave up on the second half of the story, i got bored
But a thing that i really like about 7, is the battle system, chrono trigger has a even better one as well, but i realized that FF7 is perfect for me as a beginner, and if my experience with it turn out to be nice, I'll be playing others FF as well
(PS. i didn't like Aerith that much, i prefer Tifa, what's all that fuss with her death anyway?)

Pedeadstrian

GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Please... just because it was most peoples *First* FF.. doesn't make 7 good.

It's poorly coded, the caricatures (yes.. caricatures not characters) are horrible, and Areith is the most blatant Mary Sue character.

4, 6, 9, are vastly -vastly- superior, 10 is ehh.. a bit better, but still decent. I personally haven't played 12 yet, so can't say that.

Or he could play Phantasy Star 2... another vastly superior to FF7 game.
Please... just because it is the most popular FF doesn't make 7 bad. Poor, horrible, superior, better... those are all subjective terms. What do you gain from telling people that the thing they enjoy sucks? I personally think 6 was boring and 9 was meh. Am I right? No. Are you right? No. They're just opinions. Let him have his.

Reactions: banzai200

banzai200

That dude who does things
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Please... just because it is the most popular FF doesn't make 7 bad. Poor, horrible, superior, better... those are all subjective terms. What do you gain from telling people that the thing they enjoy sucks? I personally think 6 was boring and 9 was meh. Am I right? No. Are you right? No. They're just opinions. Let him have his.
This.
Learn from this guy people

RedBlueGreen

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have a good friend on Facebook she thinks FF9 is the best one, quite an unpopular opinion ^^
I love Final Fantasy IX myself. It had likable characters and an enjoyable story. IMO having interesting/likable characters is the most important thing in a game. Couldn't get into VII because I don't really care for the Cyberpunk genre.

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
FF6 best final fantasy for ever. Enough said.
It is so good they are still afraid to make a proper remake because chances are it wouldn't hold to the original.

I have a good friend on Facebook she thinks FF9 is the best one, quite an unpopular opinion ^^
FF9 is good. Is the one I like the most on PS1. Actually, it is the last one I really liked.

Reactions: RedBlueGreen

flame1234

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Games that waste your time.
Shining in the Darkness is a very early example. A battle that is easy for your party takes ~15 sec.
Students of Round for PSP I was playing. A battle that is easy for your party takes about half that - 7 sec or so.
Encounter rate is far less in Students of Round - it was too high in Shining in the Darkness.

Even for strategy game like Shining Force. The cursor scroll wastes your time. I wonder if anyone could make a patch that speeds it up or skips the scrolling.

Reactions: Roxe__

RedBlueGreen

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I think they're boring, that's all. There's no action IMO.
That's understandable, though I don't really care for action RPGS (because this is what will come up in the thread). The only ARPGs I really liked are the Tales games and Xenoblade games because those incorporated a lot of classic JRPG elements.
I like The Elder Scrolls games but that's more because of the game universe and content, not the combat system.

With the Tales games you have to be careful with heavily using Artes because your AP will run out. You also have to stop to use a potion which adds a big strategy aspect, and money doesn't go as far as it does in other games.

Xenoblade has the skill cool down like MMOs and even though you auto attack normally it won't get you very far.

I find these aspects, and the general conservation and planning you have to do in turn based games a lot more interesting than the regular active attacking and frequent healing and dodging/blocking in action oriented games.

Sorry to say it (and this is a generalization, not directed at you specifically, it's more for people who say turn based require no skill, just grinding) but there's not much strategy in just attacking and blocking or dodging and healing when you get low HP just to repeat this process.

Last edited by RedBlueGreen,

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
This.
Besides, the story or the graphics don't appeal that much to me, i'm playing it because it's the mainstream FF game(yes, i said it)
I've played 1 as well, but gave up on the second half of the story, i got bored
But a thing that i really like about 7, is the battle system, chrono trigger has a even better one as well, but i realized that FF7 is perfect for me as a beginner, and if my experience with it turn out to be nice, I'll be playing others FF as well
(PS. i didn't like Aerith that much, i prefer Tifa, what's all that fuss with her death anyway?)

I really have to recommend you to try out FF 5. I have no idea why so few people mention 5... it has an amazing job system, a great soundtrack and a fun little story.
The job system is what makes it the most fun, it's so fulfilling to get new abilities and change your play style.

On Topic: I like the turn based style, just because it becomes strategic.

Reactions: vayanui8

RedBlueGreen

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I really have to recommend you to try out FF 5. I have no idea why so few people mention 5... it has an amazing job system, a great soundtrack and a fun little story.
The job system is what makes it the most fun, it's so fulfilling to get new abilities and change your play style.

On Topic: I like the turn based style, just because it becomes strategic.
I dislike the job system in FF games. I find it makes the games way too similar, and I think the predetermined roles characters had worked really well because the characters were designed to fit with that, personality and story wise. I think Bravely Default did the job system better than Final Fantasy, but I'd still prefer characters having an assigned class over choosing one.

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Ff5 is my favorite final fantasy. Really underappreciated game. The job system is really fun
My first final fantasy and second favorite.
It really is underappreciated.
It is like an better version of bravely default, without the brave or default, with better comedy, better story and done more than 20 years before.

Bimmel

~ Game Soundtrack Collector ~
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Turn based can be quite painful for me, if the animations are not good or the sound effects not smashing enough to give me the right feeling.

I don't like Pokemon for that reason. Boring design overall.

Reactions: Roxe__

Hungry Friend

It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Chrono Trigger, while its system is very simple, is my favorite version of TB/ATB gameplay, and its simplicity is part of what makes it so fun. I don't care if a game is fast-paced or flashy, and I find TB games when done well to be fun, strategic and less frustrating than lots of games that focus more on speed and reaction time. I think TB or in CT's case, pseudo TB games would be more popular today if more of them had followed CT's lead and done away with separate battle screens and classic random battles. I love plenty of RPGs with more traditional TB systems but CT strikes a great balance between TB and real-time combat. The combo attacks are just icing on the cake and its system should've been expanded upon in other games.

Reactions: Touko White

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Thank you. Hope you're in good spirits today like I am. :)