TurboGrafx-16 mini gets release date and full games lineup

body_main.png
Announced back during E3, the TurboGrafx-16 (or PC Engine) is making a comeback in miniature form. During its E3 panel, Konami only made the announcement and named a few games that would come pre-loaded with the console. A month after these news, Konami has now unveiled the release date and the full lineup of the games that will come packed in the TurboGrafx-16 mini.

While the models will vary according to the region you are found in (CoreGrafx for European gamers, PC Engine in Japan and TurboGrafx for US buyers), the games will be the same in all three versions, with 24 games from the original American console version and 26 from the Japanese one. Here's the full games lineup:

TurboGrafx-16 games:
  • Alien Crush
  • Victory Run
  • Blazing Lazers
  • Neutopia
  • Dungeon Explorer
  • R-Type
  • Moto Roader
  • Power Golf
  • Ys book I&II
  • Ninja Spirit
  • J.J. & Jeff
  • Space Harrier
  • Military Madness
  • Chew-Man-Fu
  • Psychosis
  • Bonk's Revenge
  • Parasol Stars
  • Cadash
  • New Adventure Island
  • Air Zonk
  • Neutopia II
  • Solider Blade
  • Lords of Thunder
  • Bomberman '93
PC Engine Games:
  • The Kung Fu
  • Jaseiken Necromancer
  • Fantasy Zone
  • Appare! Gateball
  • Nectaris
  • Dungeon Explorer
  • Neutopia
  • PC Genjin
  • Ys I・II
  • Super Darius
  • Super Star Solider
  • Daimakaimura
  • Aldynes
  • Neutopia II
  • Gradius
  • Salamander
  • Super Momotaro Dentetsu II
  • Ninja Ryūkenden *Japanese ver. of NINJA GAIDEN
  • Star Parodier
  • Snatcher
  • Gradius II - Gofer no Yabō -
  • Chō Aniki
  • Akumajō Dracula X Chi no Rondo
  • Bomberman ’94
  • Bomberman Panic Bomber
  • Ginga Fukei Densetsu Sapphire

models.JPG

In addition the console will pack the following new features:
  • Quick Save function to save at any point during a game
  • Different display modes that let you choose how your games look, such as by replicating the scanlines on a CRT TV
  • Simultaneous five-player gaming with a multitap (sold separately)
While the other models have not been priced, the Japanese one will cost 10,500 yen (about $100) and will come bundled with one controller, a USB Cable, an HDMI cable and an instruction manual.

Available exclusively through Amazon, the TurboGrafx-16 mini will be available as from March 19, 2020, with pre-orders starting this July 15. Will you be getting one?

:arrow: SOURCE
:arrow: Official website

Aphromite

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah I don't think I get it. But I only played bonk I think, maybe on the Amiga. Which, to be fair, was a fairly enjoyable game. Oh and salamander on the NES, which was wicked but I was awful at it. Can anyone enlighten us on the gems?

Reactions: brenokk

Harsky

Madmin
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Surprised they're not doing a Christmas release but I guess this is too niche to produce millions and then risk having it discounted to clear stock a month later.

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Grew up with it and it was fail and not successful. I will just skip it. Dont care about those games on the list. However, loved Europe version rather than ugly America version.

wartutor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Some great games here Neutopia 1 and 2 both jump right out along with new adventure island, bonks revenge and a few other no need to name them all but half of them could of been left out and wouldnt hurt anything. I also cant help but think theres a few missing from that lineup that really should be there splatterhouse for one and wasnt there 3 bonk games total. I may be overlooking some though as this list gives me a headache to look at maybe my ocd but alphebetical order would make it alot easier lmao. Heres to hoping it can be opened up so we can inject our personal list of games onto it like the others:lol::vul2:

Last edited by wartutor,

HarveyHouston

Christian Modder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What's this; all the other console manufacturers are making minis now? I mean, I know that SEGA already had a mini Genesis as early as 2009 (it was actually developed by AtGames; an official miniaturized version will be released in September), but it wasn't until Nintendo came out with their NES and SNES Classics (called "Mini" in the U.K.) that every console manufacturer has started to produce minis of their own! Sony Playstation Mini, Commodore 64 Mini, NEO GEO Mini... Will it ever end?

Reactions: TheMrIron2

Tanro

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wonder how successful this would be. To me this is the least popular console but that's cause I never had played one. :ninja:
I never even heard of it until I was an adult, and that was at the beginning of the 360/ps3 era soo...

But I really enjoy the games I've played on it. Seems like it had fewer shovelware titles. I have it running on my wii, and my switch and could easily put it on my desktop if I wanted to.

If this one is as easily hackable as the SNES and PS1 minis then I may get myself one and put all the games on it, and do the same for a few more for ebay.

Honestly, as cheap as flash memory is, and as small as the library is on this, they should include the entire library. But I guess publishing rights limits that.

XDel

Author of Alien Breed: Projekt Odamex
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would be excited, but they really should remove redundant duplicates for each region, and translate those games that have already been translated officially or unofficially elsewhere. The fact that they are not doing this makes me think that this may be a lazy effort and the quality may not be there on the hardware end either. Will see.

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
So it seems most of the cool games... were ports of Neo Geo Arcade games.

Didn't Neo Geo have it's own consoles?

No wonder I never heard of the TurboGrafx-16 before.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.tomshardware.com/pc-components/liquid-cooling/intel-and-exxonmobil-working-on-advance...