TurboGrafx-16 mini gets release date and full games lineup

body_main.png
Announced back during E3, the TurboGrafx-16 (or PC Engine) is making a comeback in miniature form. During its E3 panel, Konami only made the announcement and named a few games that would come pre-loaded with the console. A month after these news, Konami has now unveiled the release date and the full lineup of the games that will come packed in the TurboGrafx-16 mini.

While the models will vary according to the region you are found in (CoreGrafx for European gamers, PC Engine in Japan and TurboGrafx for US buyers), the games will be the same in all three versions, with 24 games from the original American console version and 26 from the Japanese one. Here's the full games lineup:

TurboGrafx-16 games:
  • Alien Crush
  • Victory Run
  • Blazing Lazers
  • Neutopia
  • Dungeon Explorer
  • R-Type
  • Moto Roader
  • Power Golf
  • Ys book I&II
  • Ninja Spirit
  • J.J. & Jeff
  • Space Harrier
  • Military Madness
  • Chew-Man-Fu
  • Psychosis
  • Bonk's Revenge
  • Parasol Stars
  • Cadash
  • New Adventure Island
  • Air Zonk
  • Neutopia II
  • Solider Blade
  • Lords of Thunder
  • Bomberman '93
PC Engine Games:
  • The Kung Fu
  • Jaseiken Necromancer
  • Fantasy Zone
  • Appare! Gateball
  • Nectaris
  • Dungeon Explorer
  • Neutopia
  • PC Genjin
  • Ys I・II
  • Super Darius
  • Super Star Solider
  • Daimakaimura
  • Aldynes
  • Neutopia II
  • Gradius
  • Salamander
  • Super Momotaro Dentetsu II
  • Ninja Ryūkenden *Japanese ver. of NINJA GAIDEN
  • Star Parodier
  • Snatcher
  • Gradius II - Gofer no Yabō -
  • Chō Aniki
  • Akumajō Dracula X Chi no Rondo
  • Bomberman ’94
  • Bomberman Panic Bomber
  • Ginga Fukei Densetsu Sapphire

models.JPG

In addition the console will pack the following new features:
  • Quick Save function to save at any point during a game
  • Different display modes that let you choose how your games look, such as by replicating the scanlines on a CRT TV
  • Simultaneous five-player gaming with a multitap (sold separately)
While the other models have not been priced, the Japanese one will cost 10,500 yen (about $100) and will come bundled with one controller, a USB Cable, an HDMI cable and an instruction manual.

Available exclusively through Amazon, the TurboGrafx-16 mini will be available as from March 19, 2020, with pre-orders starting this July 15. Will you be getting one?

:arrow: SOURCE
:arrow: Official website

Stwert

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I’ll be buying one, more for my collection than anything else, I’ve still got my good old PC Engine and still play it regularly.

I do take umbrage with one thing in this new report however, this bit: 24 games from the original American console version and 26 from the Japanese one.

It’s the wrong way round, the Japanese one is the original console, it came out almost 2 years before the American one did.

Phudou

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Even if my tg16 is working i will buy one of these little boxes. I am happy that games like Parasol Stars can now have another chance of being noticed. But in the gamelist are still missing some good games like Liquid Kid/Mizubaku Adventure, Coryoon, Pang (ok was in cd), Splatterhouse and as already said from users Magical Chase...
Ok... even Hero Tonma, Aeroblasters and the V-System Volleyball ...
Wonder if will finish like for the PS mini sold half the price after some months, or will disappear from the market shortly

Last edited by Phudou,

kuwanger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Looks like a lot of really nice shoot'em ups, but the number of region duplicates is a real letdown. I might end up getting this at some point, but the Genesis Mini has already pretty well won me over. It'll really all depend on just how much the final price is and how quickly they offer them on discount, if at all. I'm a little less concerned with the lack of translations as it includes English and Japanese Ys I&II, and I'm not sure if the rest really need to be translated.

Overall, it looks like a pretty good value for what TG-16 games normally cost. There's a lot of competition on the likes of Steam, though, especially for decently priced shoot'em ups/cute'em ups.

TheMrIron2

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
I wanted one of these, but 100 bucks for those picks... let's just hope someone hacks it and it gets discounted down the line.

ital

Trophies
XP
Guess I'll be making playlists in RetroArch containing those mini console games. :)

Nowhere near the same thing for me. Something about replaying with the proper controllers on a modern screen with no emulation settings related faffing around makes it a much, much better experience.

Your mileage may vary but for me the SNES Classic breathed new life into games I'd emulated a billion times before due to the above reasons plus the tiny cute case, presentation and instant on features are also great.

Really interested in this PCE Mini as there are loads of fun games on there and as much as I've been avoiding preordering the MD Mini I'll probably get one at some point even though I dislike that clunky 3 button controller and don't really want to spend £100 importing the proper version as the 3rd party controllers just don't cut it as that muscle memory feel/responsiveness is essential for the full experience.

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Nowhere near the same thing for me. Something about replaying with the proper controllers on a modern screen with no emulation settings related faffing around makes it a much, much better experience.

Your mileage may vary but for me the SNES Classic breathed new life into games I'd emulated a billion times before due to the above reasons plus the tiny cute case, presentation and instant on features are also great.

Really interested in this PCE Mini as there are loads of fun games on there and as much as I've been avoiding preordering the MD Mini I'll probably get one at some point even though I dislike that clunky 3 button controller and don't really want to spend £100 importing the proper version as the 3rd party controllers just don't cut it as that muscle memory feel/responsiveness is essential for the full experience.
I played Super Soccer on an original SNES a few weeks ago and doing this I'm with you. It's the real deal.
However I did not have this feeling while playing with the SNES Mini of a friend of mine. It just confirmed that I'm completely not interested in those mini devices and even consider them electrical waste since they are so limited.
However speaking of emulation the Switch was about to be the perfect device for that from the very first time I saw the reveal trailer. I just begged that it will be hackable and RetroArch will be there for it and both happened.
Combining this with the fact that the wireless 8BitDo retro controllers are really fantastic I'm really happy with having all retro games on this fantastic console either on the go or on the TV.
Sure, playing Super Soccer on a real SNES still feels a bit better but I'm ready to trade that bit for having all games on one device without the need to swap game carts or things like that.

Reactions: andyhappypants

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I played Super Soccer on an original SNES a few weeks ago and doing this I'm with you. It's the real deal.
However I did not have this feeling while playing with the SNES Mini of a friend of mine. It just confirmed that I'm completely not interested in those mini devices and even consider them electrical waste since they are so limited.
However speaking of emulation the Switch was about to be the perfect device for that from the very first time I saw the reveal trailer. I just begged that it will be hackable and RetroArch will be there for it and both happened.
Combining this with the fact that the wireless 8BitDo retro controllers are really fantastic I'm really happy with having all retro games on this fantastic console either on the go or on the TV.
Sure, playing Super Soccer on a real SNES still feels a bit better but I'm ready to trade that bit for having all games on one device without the need to swap game carts or things like that.
you can buy an everdrive for your real snes and have en entire snes collection without tradding cartridges too xD.

ital

Trophies
XP

Whilst I can't comment on that game as I haven't played it I'll stand my point with the Mini as I'm quite finicky when it comes to emulation as its got to feel right and it comes closer than anything else ever has plus you can use a regular modern screen without needing converters, scalers, everdrives, recaps etc...

Amusing that you mention 8bitdo as their controllers are straight up 8bitdoodoo because they control like shit for me, those dpads are atrocious and the buttons tactile response is totally different not to mention the lag that some versions (I believe it was due to the Bluetooth?) have which is terrible and really detracts from the playing experience.

Just goes to show how differently people see things as I've been into emulation since way back when and think the introduction of one size fits all approach of Retro Arch was an immense step backwards compared to what came before when you had individual stand alone emulators that were optimized for the platform they were on. Nowadays you usually get a quick and dirty port to make it run on a toaster with a bit of tweaking later if you're lucky. Compare that to say the OG Xbox scene and its amazing range of emulators that played wonderfully and squeezed every drop of power the machine had and I'd be very surprised if you ever see a scene like that again. Can't comment on the PC version as I've never tried it but its various console implementations have all been lacking.

Like I said, amusing differences in perspective. Not interested in arguing about this as its obvious our interpretations diverge so much so please don't take this as confrontational statement and start unleashing your fury like some other clown on this forum did as he started following me around after getting all up in his feels about one of my posts.

Finishing off with the Switch, I dont have one yet but will probably pick one up eventually but the pinnacle of portable emulation for me had to be the n3DS as it was very impressive in what it did and how well it did it. When Dreamcast is running perfect on the Switch then that alone will make it a must have but until then I bes chilling!

CMDreamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Are any of these games any good?

Doesn't look like hand picked ones but only those they got license to re-release on their Mini.

Many games are the same one but from two diferent regions, that reduces the final count of games, so you're not really getting 50 diferent ones. If that's the main idea, then they could add all the game library from the three main regions on each console and say we will get thousands of games, which sucks IMO.

Makes me remember those NES chinese clones with 650 NES games included, but with only less than 20 being unique, and the rest being hacked versions from the latter ones.

Last edited by CMDreamer,
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yes, I’ll be grabbing the Jap version with the proper controller, not a fan of the Euro 2 button

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Yes, I’ll be grabbing the Jap version with the proper controller, not a fan of the eaur
you can buy an everdrive for your real snes and have en entire snes collection without tradding cartridges too xD.

I’m seriously considering doing this for both the SNES and N64

DSAndi

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Dont know 100$, well i dont think i would spend that much on a Mini System.
I think PC Engine is pretty good emulated even on a Raspberry Pi 3. Add a nice retroflag case and your done.

You can still buy real hardware and a Super System 3, that will come more money but play every game on real hardware and also gives you RGB output.

Before buying this i highly recommend to test some of the better games, a lot of em cant satisfy my taste, but thats me.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: "Now I know why he took his own life"