Trying to grasp the understanding of "life"

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I feel that humans were never meant to be any smarter than the animals living on the earth. That life was not meant to be understood or even thought of by something as intelligent as humans today.

Alright, let me play the devil's advocate here. If we weren't "supposed" to be any greater than the rest of nature, then why did we naturally evolve that way?

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I feel that humans were never meant to be any smarter than the animals living on the earth. That life was not meant to be understood or even thought of by something as intelligent as humans today.

Alright, let me play the devil's advocate here. If we weren't "supposed" to be any greater than the rest of nature, then why did we naturally evolve that way?
By chance. Like most events in life, it is a matter of chance.

Back when protohumans were just cells floating in the overwhelming mass of biomatter, there was nothing about us that made us any different then the other cells. Neither were we different from apes billions of years later. We just "happened" to be the species that evolved this way.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Back when protohumans were just cells floating in the overwhelming mass of biomatter, there was nothing about us that made us any different then the other cells. Neither were we different from apes billions of years later. We just "happened" to be the species that evolved this way.

Which is my point, basically; there's really no way that can be "wrong" or "not meant to be". We won the evolutionary lottery; we should appreciate that.

Reactions: 1 person

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland

Which is my point, basically; there's really no way that can be "wrong" or "not meant to be". We won the evolutionary lottery; we should appreciate that.
...I agree, we should take charge and start preparing for the next evolutionary shift - let's breed selectively and create a master race before the apes catch up.

Or worse, tigers. Tigerumans would totally destroy us. :creep:

SinHarvest24

Shiroyasha
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Chad
Think of it as your reason for living. If we understood what we're living life for/the purpose for living, then what's the point in living it? (well that depends on the answer, right?)

I always do a lot of thinking on life/death phenomenon but just can't seem to grasp any understanding on either that we already don't know.

It's a topic with only opinions, none that can be stated as a fact.
I want to believe that there's a reason for each of us to live and when that is accomplished we die, but that's just wishful thinking......

I'll leave you with this quote;
John Steinbeck once wrote, ‘It seems to me that if you or I must choose between two courses of thought or action, we should remember our dying and try so to live that our death brings no pleasure on the world.’

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
It's the legacy that matters, if nothing else. Look at people like Aristotle. Do you know him personally? Nowadays? Nope. Do people know what he taught and what he thought? Most probably yes, especially if they've read ancient philosophy.

This is one of those situation that you yourself are the only one that can choose. If nothing today seems to be worth it and you take your life, you'll never know what tomorrow could have brought by. In other words, don't end your life before you have lived it. When will you know that has happened? Only when your time comes naturally.

Shinigami357

Current "give a fuck" level: Honey Badger
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I honestly have felt many times that the reality that I see might be the true reality. Everyone could just be a product of my imagination. No point of arguing it because how can you argue with my imagination? I take the reality with my own thoughts. Everything is truly 'make believe' to me in my own head. None of you really exist.

--Thank you LSD

Well, the "us" you have in your head is a figment of your imagination/mental processes [or whatever]. That much I can agree with. I mean, "Shinigami357" doesn't really exist; there's a person behind this persona that you don't know, and therefore, your perception of me as I am under this persona, is, as you said, all in your head. [though you've prob never seen me before even in the temp]

That is, of course, working under the assumption that everything is in context. I'm not sure how context works if you're high on drugs, but that's a different topic altogether, and I'd rather not prove Densetsu right in this moment in time.

Now, I'm a big advocate of life and such and choices [and whatnot], so really your questions regarding our existence [or at the very least your existence] should really be yours to answer. However, I am free to share my input, so...

First, why are we here...

Well, to be perfectly blunt, the best answer is simply: because [just 'coz]. Straight up, the reason we are here, is because as living creatures bound under the immutable laws of our universe, this is one of the rare places we can exist.

why do we exist/what's the reason for our existence...

Well, I don't really believe in 'reason' for existence. The reason we are alive always changes from moment to moment. Pin-pointing it down to one thing is not a worthy thing to waste time on.

The whole "raison d'etre" thing doesn't really ring true. I mean, if you came down to it, everything is in the moment.

Seriously, in the great scheme of things, the universe doesn't really give a damn about our wants and needs. Our existence in those terms borders on the insignificant; trying to understand or justify it because we want to doesn't make our existence any more important.

That's how life works; this moment is it, this is life. Really, why bother yourself with all of it?

The only reason we really need for life is simply to live it. Why complicate?

DeadlyFoez

XFlak Fanboy
OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States
I honestly have barely any connection with anything you all call 'reality'. It all seems like a farce in my own mind. This world seems fake to my eyes. And I have already taken control of all that I want to, which seems to solidate my stance.

Jugarina

Trophies
Website
youngevity.com
XP
Country
United States
I feel the meaning of all life is for the living to create additional new life. I also believe It has something to do with learning what love is.

Remember, "A life lived alone is no life at all." Skyrim

LiNkZoR

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've kept this all to myself for a long time because I dont want to be 'committed' again to another hospital. But i honestly feel that this reality is just a farse that my mind is thinking. I'd rather not have death take me, i'd rather take myslef... since in the end it does not matter anyways.

Just look at Steve Jobs. He is gone now. He did a lot of great goods. He worked hard. But he is dead... gone..... no more. His exhistance is nothing. He is dead. Nothing no more.. period...

I really want for my life to be gone also.
You REALLY need to rethink this. Yes, he is dead, gone forever from the physical world, but everyone will still remember him, his products he helped inspire are still our there, we still know who he is, and what he did. Therefore, if his existence was nothing wouldn't apple be gone? Would there be memorials all over the place? Since George Washington is dead, shouldn't the US be gone, or his precedent for having two terms as a president? What I really think we need to point out there is yes, you die and you will no longer have a first-hand impact on the world, and the people, however you will still continue to effect those who you interacted with. It may not be a good impact (pointing out how you cuss out everyone who annoys you, or anyone who doesn't agree with you, but I have limited experience in these forums) or it could be a good impact and continue to help people, people could remember you and strive to do things in your memory, furthering your impact on people and everything else.

TL:DR you're not by yourself here, and you were not created just to please yourself, you were created to help further society and everything else. This is just a theory, but I think some people need to calm down and see things in the long run, if you frustrate people by having a bad temper, they will forget about you and the ripple effect your existence has had will stop way too soon.

VashTS

Beat it, son
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
damn man i feel your pain, i've been there too. i did a TON of cold medicine when i was 17-18 since i was on probation and couldn't do illegal drugs. i really did lose my mind, the things i've done were in a state that was beyond being and for once I understood EVERYTHING and could do anything I wanted because I knew how things worked.

you need to embrace this feeling and go with it, take advantage of it and manipulate your environment. there are nights where i believe i created scenarios that happened but i cannot tell you if they were real. i know somethings happened because people told me about them later on in life. there are still some things that i only can believe occurred but have no evidence that they did and its all due to that power of embracing the ways you can change your environment and self once you see that your mind can sink within the conscious of this world. the brain has a lot of data stored inside that can be tapped into.

i don't know your position in life regarding responsibility but if you can do something with these thoughts, take a risk. it will make you feel alive again and give you purpose.

nryn99

desu~
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
before, i tried to imagine a world without me and if i hadn't existed. you know, not to feel, hear speak interact with anything, doesn't exist.

and i thought, the world also wouldn't to me. since i did not exist, i wouldn't have this thoughts, the universe you, her, the screen you're looking at, everything wouldn't exist for me. for the rest? i don't know.

i stopped right there since there'll be no point in thinking if i really existed or not. i still don't know when i'll die. and it does not matter to me, i'll learn stuff as i go on living.

about afterlife, my answer would be if there really is an afterlife, then i would see it when i die, if there isn't then why think about it if i don't even have the chance to think about it since my existence simply vanished and all that's left are the memories in people who know me that i existed.

for example, we all know isaac newton. but if i was isaac newton, dead, i wouldn't be able to appreciate that i am known by many even centuries after my death.
but if there's afterlife, then i still simply exist, the next thing i would do is find out how i still exist and why nobody has known about this on earth yet. there might be a barrier or something. there are rules in everything.

this idea occurred to me when i was around 10. and i didn't take any drugs, i was simply a curious boy.

TheDreamLord

Trophies
Website
darkraino1.zymichost.com
XP
Country
SIDE NOTE: There is a really trippy theory that whenever you "die" or are supposed to be dead, the dimension fractures into an outcome where you lived and your consciousness becomes aware only of the dimension in which you lived, aka you never died. BUT you have to be really high to understand this, I think.

I've always wondered about that. Never knew there was an actual theory.

@op I think about that alot.
Another, where is gravity from: P

Thesolcity

Wherever the light shines, it casts a shadow.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
damn man i feel your pain, i've been there too. i did a TON of cold medicine when i was 17-18 since i was on probation and couldn't do illegal drugs. i really did lose my mind, the things i've done were in a state that was beyond being and for once I understood EVERYTHING and could do anything I wanted because I knew how things worked.

you need to embrace this feeling and go with it, take advantage of it and manipulate your environment. there are nights where i believe i created scenarios that happened but i cannot tell you if they were real. i know somethings happened because people told me about them later on in life. there are still some things that i only can believe occurred but have no evidence that they did and its all due to that power of embracing the ways you can change your environment and self once you see that your mind can sink within the conscious of this world. the brain has a lot of data stored inside that can be tapped into.

i don't know your position in life regarding responsibility but if you can do something with these thoughts, take a risk. it will make you feel alive again and give you purpose.

not-sure-if-trolling-or-serious.jpg

DeadlyFoez

XFlak Fanboy
OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States
Unfortunately, I've been dwelling on this thought for a long time. I almost feel like my life is already dead. I can't fully explain my thought process, but I do understand that the idea of life is very very fucked up.

I know when I am 90 years old sitting on my death bed everything will come back to me (a function of the brain).

But what really make 'me' or 'you'. What about all the aborted children that never had a chance to be anything at all. Where did their existence go? Born just to die? Do you feel lucky that you weren't aborted, or would you be happier not dealing with the bullshit of life?

My wife thinks I'm going crazy for trying to think outside the box of life.

DigiTak

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Summoning the devil, only answer
You should stop thinking about it. Thinking about things greater than you, only makes yourself seem smaller. The meaning of life? It's really more what's the meaning of my life. There is no everybody's life together life, its just your's. Its what your gonna do. So stop thinking like humanity has some kind of goal we're all heading towards. So stop this psychological pseudo topic people don't want to dwell on, until they're on the verge of death.

P.S. I didn't read this topic, just came to these conclusions based of the topic title.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: It's a shame some people's cake always resort to the same taste