• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Trump is under investigation for potential violations of the Espionage Act

Deleted member 586536

Returned shipping and mailing
OP
Trophies
XP
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2022/aug/12/fbi-agents-trump-search-mar-a-lago-documents

For context of the documents Trump held. they were /TS/SCI documents

For context. That means Top secret, Sensitive Compartmented Information. This is the kind of shit that requires a special secured room, where the documents NEVER leave the premises. Ever. And requires said documents to be kept track of which ones have and haven't been pulled out. According to sources, these specific documents were being held next to the maralago pool in a safe with a padlock. Which, is extremely, EXTREMELY not secure. Like, your supposed to have a special staff hover behind your back to make sure the documents NEVER leave. This is the kinds of documents that spy movies are about. Critical, and dangerous in the wrong hands kind of documents. Like, this is the kind of shit that risks troops, risks police officers, risks the secret service, risks the CIA and so on, could list access controls to critical infrastructure, shit you would NEVER want another country having knowledge to.

And ignoring security, it was near a pool of all places. you know, chlorine and water? the shit that will easily destroy any ink on any paper assuming that it's not completely destroyed by the time it's no longer wet?

As much as I hate the government, I'd rather not have Russia or China or whoever the fuck, have a easier time toying with us, we already got enough problems on our plate.

But even worse, since it is investigation of the espionage act, and we already know that from the new york times that it relates to nuclear weapons. That means Trump gave away country secrets in exchange for something most likely. (We likely know what it is. That green thing)

Again, I'd LOVE to be wrong. But this already looks extremely bad.

Last edited by Deleted member 586536,

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
And now we wait for Trump cultists to go through their 217 pages of mental gymnastics on how Trump is never at fault or something. It’s never actually anything worth reading but always goes on for way too long with nothing said

Last edited by The Catboy,

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Sorry, but by this time I'm having a hard time believing the news. I mean... I hate Trump as much as everyone not in his cult, but isn't this a bit over the top?

Dude left office 1.5 years ago. There were rumors of him taking boxes from the white house straight from day one. Is he as stupid to just let it sit in his home all this time?

Well... Yes. But just about anyone else isn't. It's not like he can't afford a xerox machine that could scan all that stuff and then burn the physical evidence. It's fucking paper...it's dumb enough that the white house apparently doesn't keep backups, but that's an administration. Trump is just a retired moron with enough time on his hands right now. I'm sure someone would've told him the danger it would be to just let it longer around.

... But now after all this time it's still just in his house? Seriously?
More so... This is the us we're talking about. If any individual has information on nuclear weapons in their house, the first instinct is to bomb the environment and ask questions later. Am i really to believe the fbi just goes in after 1.5 years and just find it?

Sorry... I don't believe it. I'm not keen on political conspiracies, but i don't simply buy this stuff.

Deleted member 586536

Returned shipping and mailing
OP
Trophies
XP
Sorry, but by this time I'm having a hard time believing the news. I mean... I hate Trump as much as everyone not in his cult, but isn't this a bit over the top?

Dude left office 1.5 years ago. There were rumors of him taking boxes from the white house straight from day one. Is he as stupid to just let it sit in his home all this time?

Well... Yes. But just about anyone else isn't. It's not like he can't afford a xerox machine that could scan all that stuff and then burn the physical evidence. It's fucking paper...it's dumb enough that the white house apparently doesn't keep backups, but that's an administration. Trump is just a retired portion with enough time on his hands. I'm sure someone would've told him the danger it would be to just let it longer around.

... But now after all this time it's still just in his house? Seriously?
More so... This is the us we're talking about. If any individual has information on nuclear weapons in their house, the first instinct is to bomb the environment and ask questions later. Am i really to believe the fbi just goes in after 1.5 years and just find it?

Sorry... I don't believe it. I'm not keen on political conspiracies, but i don't simply buy this anymore.
well if it was bogus, trump could of released the search warrant before hand to the public. But he didn't. And the search warrent was unsealed.
The FBI seized multiple boxes and papers. We know what was roughly seized, so it checks out. (this also makes it difficult to make the claim that it was planted. Since Trump likely has security cameras in Marlago)
Would I like to believe that this happened?
FUUUUCK no.
But... unfortunately, It seems like it did happen. We won't know until charges are put forward.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
well if it was bogus, trump could of released the search warrant before hand to the public. But he didn't. And the search warrent was unsealed.
The FBI seized multiple boxes and papers. We know what was roughly seized, so it checks out. (this also makes it difficult to make the claim that it was planted. Since Trump likely has security cameras in Marlago)
Would I like to believe that this happened?
FUUUUCK no.
But... unfortunately, It seems like it did happen. We won't know until charges are put forward.
I didn't say it was bogus. But if you ask me, Trump only cares about himself. And yeah, he acts guilty all the time (heck... Him taking the fifth makes him suspicious by himself back in 2016). So him lashing out and ignoring that he can make things public himself is just him being him. Playing innocent and pretending it was declassified(even though it wasn't... And even though that's irrelevant in the first place) is also just a bone for his cultists to chew on.

To me, i would think the only things in those boxes are about protecting himself. Dirt on politicians. Things about Roger Stone. But even so... Just have it linger around in his house like that? It's not the 20th century anymore, damnit. Xerox it, put it on usb drive and keep it with you. Not keep it in your house in the assumption the 'feds' won't dare come to.

I'm also the reverse of you: i would like to believe that it really happened. Very much, in fact(dude needed to be in jail for at least a year now). But something like this just too good to be true. And again: not something i deem likely. Because even though he's a moron, he's not stupid in this sort of concealment. I mean... If he was, he would've been ACTUALLY bankrupt at most after his third bankcupcy instead of... How many was it again? Five?
(edit: apparently six, depending how you count: https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...-trump-declared-bankruptcy-four-or-six-times/)

Reactions: Creamu

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
It's not like he can't afford a xerox machine that could scan all that stuff and then burn the physical evidence.
Which is why he's also under investigation for destroying other documents and records. I'm sure there was a good reason (in his dementia-addled brain) for keeping these particular ones.

Trump is just a retired moron with enough time on his hands right now. I'm sure someone would've told him the danger it would be to just let it longer around.
It's not like he was openly advertising the fact that he had them. Only a few people very close to him were aware of it, and one of them ratted him out to save their own skin.

Am i really to believe the fbi just goes in after 1.5 years and just find it?
What's the alternative, that it was all "planted?" If that were the case, Trump would've already released the security footage of the FBI rummaging around, as that is footage he has seen for himself. He still might try to have it doctored and then released, but at this point it's easier to just rile up his cultists in defense of him instead.

Dungeonseeker

Trophies
XP
Country
Was having a discussion with my parents about him yesterday, to summerise, dude was raised with such a privileged lifestyle that no one ever taught him the difference between thinking he is in the right and actually being in the right. He's so used to never getting blamed for anything and being able to use his wealth and power to abuse his responsibilities that he genuinely now believes he can, quite literally do and say whatever the fuck he wants, not in the "fuck the consequences" way, more in the "I'm Donald Trump and consequences don't apply to me at all" way.

Reactions: mituzora and Xzi

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And now we wait for Trump cultists to go through their 217 pages of mental gymnastics on how Trump is never at fault or something. It’s never actually anything worth reading but always goes on for way too long with nothing said
Buttery males.

Jesus, Trump apparently also leaked the full, unredacted warrant to Breitbart, which includes the names of the FBI agents involved. They're gonna have to add attempted murder to the laundry list of charges.
If only for their direct safety, they need to put this guy and at least some of his enablers in jail.

Reactions: Xzi

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I don’t know what that means but mood
"But her e-mails" = buttery males. Republicans use it as whataboutism so often that it became a meme, because that's how frequently their politicians are caught committing felonies and/or pedophilia.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
"But her e-mails" = buttery males. Republicans use it as whataboutism so often that it became a meme, because that's how frequently their politicians are caught committing felonies and/or pedophilia.
Bruh, buttery males sounded like a new term for femboys with butter soft skin. My disappointment is immeasurable, and my day is ruined

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Which is why he's also under investigation for destroying other documents and records. I'm sure there was a good reason (in his dementia-addled brain) for keeping these particular ones.
Yeah, I've heard about yet a new book as well. But on that front as well: the lineup of people who wrote about Trump's behavior in office is already quite long. Would this be something that Woodward or Wolfe somehow missed?

It's not like he was openly advertising the fact that he had them. Only a few people very close to him were aware of it, and one of them ratted him out to save their own skin.
Yeah... Or the most plausible option: he was under investigation already and Trump bragged about his documents within hearing distance.
What's the alternative, that it was all "planted?" If that were the case, Trump would've already released the security footage of the FBI rummaging around, as that is footage he has seen for himself. He still might try to have it doctored and then released, but at this point it's easier to just rile up his cultists in defense of him instead.
Yeah... Like that's going to mean anything to his cultists. C'moon, @Xzi : you know damn well how his drones act since the Mueller report. First they claim we can't know anything until it releases, then it's all "I'm not reading all that" and then it's "i like how henchman' s summary more".

The best that can happen is that fox News no longer implies the fbi are a bunch of crooks.

Again: no, i don't believe the fbi planted evidence (jeez, how would that even work? Them first stealing classified stuff from the white house, sit on it for 18 months, then bring it out to someone who is already about to be convicted of tax fraud?). But despite Trump's moronic efforts to'defend'himself (oh, he declassified it first? So he fucking DID take documents that weren't for the public?) I'm siding with the loonie squad on this one. That this was politically motivated. I mean... When they're done crying nonsense, they might actually realize it actually might be a move to stop him from running for president again.

I think in this case it's a good political move, but not one that should become the norm somehow.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Bruh, buttery males sounded like a new term for femboys with butter soft skin. My disappointment is immeasurable, and my day is ruined
The way you make it sound, my heterosexual nature is being challenged. Soft skinned femboys, you say? ;)

(also... This thread goes nuts in a faster tempo than usual :P)

Last edited by Taleweaver,

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Trump has already played the "It's a hoax!" card in response to this, lol.

But this right here is the smoking gun to imprisonment, even if no other charges stick:

smoking gun.png

Reactions: Xzi

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I think in this case it's a good political move, but not one that should become the norm somehow.
I agree, it shouldn't become the norm that we elect presidents who are a severe threat to national security. That's the problem with the two party system, though: Republicans gotta run somebody, and they treat elections like they're monster truck rallies. I'd ask if they could sink any lower, going from GWB to Trump, but I know the answer is always yes. Plenty of Hitler youths like DeSantis waiting in the wings.

Reactions: Taleweaver

TraderPatTX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The walls are definitely closing in around Trump this time.

It's a good thing nobody remembers when Hillary had TS/SCI documents on her email server that was left wide open on the internet. It's a good thing I remember though.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: https://www.keepretro.com/products/miyoo-a30