Hacking TroyTheZombie's Animated Channel Wads

erikk1

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
The wadmanager forwarder doesn't work for me. I just get a black screen after the LOADING... splash screen.

I have it on SDHC://apps/wadmanager/boot.dol and it runs fine when started from HBC.

I'm on 4.2.

IlluminiX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Troy or anyone else:

I like Troy's Sega Genesis channel, but prefer DJ's old non-verbose forwarders (just a black screen), so when I try to inject the dol with Wadder 2.7.3, it will work initially and then result in Code Dumps. It's not that I don't know how to use Wadder because I have made other channels successfully, but for some reason, DJ's old forwarders (which as I say I prefer) seem to give me problems. If I load the same forwarder dol from the HBC, it loads every time so I don't think it is all the forwarder's fault. I know Troy doesn't use Wadder and I see that his file sizes are actually smaller than the exact same channel/dol that I make in Wadder, so I wonder HOW? How can I make the wad in the same way that Troy does (just injecting the dol is enough for me)?

Thanks!

vettacossx

Wii Theme Team Founder
Trophies
XP
Country
Nice thanks for the update i will try this in the morning and try to make a video of it for ya as well
wink.gif
thanks
smile.gif

lettuce

Trophies
XP
Country
Troythezombie, i download some of your emulator channels awhile back, and now there are obviously newer vesions out, i dont have the old wads for the older versions i have on my wii now, how do i go about uninstalling these older versions of the channels?. As i have a USB harddrive now and want to play games from that so need the USB versions and want to delete the old SD version i have on my Wii

lettuce

Trophies
XP
Country
Its ok i used anytitledeleter to delete the already installed channels
smile.gif
/ I have noticed that on WiiBrew, for the nes Genplus emulator 1.3.1, it says it supports USB, but your forwarder channel is only for SD/SDHC?? Are you going to release a USB version?

vettacossx

Wii Theme Team Founder
Trophies
XP
Country
Listen bud if you want to update all your emulators and keep those awesome GFX for the channels Make them into forwardewrs with wadder....

What is a forwarder?

A forwarder is basicly a shortcut loader, soon as you launch a channel,
the .dol is launched and it will directly locate the file whichever it was to forward to, e.g. sd:/apps/mplayer_ce/boot.dol
this dol will then be located and it willl load after a few initial checks.

What's it's purpose?

It will save Nand space & it will save always having to re-update a channel whenever an update is released.
You will need:

Wadder2.7.3 bugfix (set this up when you get it)
http://www.mediafire.com/file/3emqyzzdjxe/...der%202.7.3.exe

The List Of Dej's Channel forwarding DOL: (or use Usb Loader GX forwarder for a splash added)
http://wadder.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=1183

The original Wad file from this thread:

For this example i will use Snes9X GX

Step 1: download the Snes9x GX wad from this thread and a forwarding Snes9x GX DOL that matches it in Dej's thread above...

Step 2: Open Wadder 2.7.3 bugfix...Choose the wad you downloaded in this application...next fill out the TITLE tab I typed "Snes9x GX" ...Now choose the DOL you want to use (in this case its the Snes9x forwarder from dej's thread) and the 4 digit channel ID ( i typed "snes" as my 4 digit channel ID...(the rest you dont have to fill out at all)..Next hit Continue and wait for your WAD to be made...Save it to a safe place (i saved mine to my desktop for example)

Step 3:
Make sure the SD card is setup to load the files on the SD card when you install and launch your new channel!

To do this the best way is to use a homebrew program called HOMEBREW BROWSER:

Download it here
http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Homebrew_apps/Homebrew_Browser

Place the Homebrew Browser folder in sd:/apps/ on your SD card then load the homebrew channel and launch the homebrew browser from there....You will likely have to run it twice (it updates the app the first time it runs then loads it the second time you run it thats normal just press A and let it update on the first go)

After you have the Homebrew Browser loaded you can download UPDATED emulators directly to your SD card and it will setup the entire file structure for you w/ all the directories in place:

BUT I DONT HAVE INTERNET WITH MY WII!

then just do it the old fashion (and harder) way go to wiibrew and read the documentation and directions to setup...

Emulators sectoion of wiibrew
http://wiibrew.org/wiki/List_of_homebrew_emulators

After you have the files setup on your SD card you can go ahead and install/flash the channel wad using wadmanager of your choice (i Use 1.4) Enjoy your channel you wont ever need to reinstall or update this WAD ever again just keep the files on your SD updated and you will be all set!

Hope that helps some people and saves troy some time
tongue.gif

perace love and chicken grease, Vetta

PS:

WHY DO ALL THAT?
Because the fact is this:
Most of the current GX builds of emulators have a UPDATE FEATURE and with a forwarder you wont EVER have to update a CHANNEL again only the files on the SD have to be updated (i use HBB for that) So you wont need to flash to your console (most flash devices HAVE A LIMIT and no one will deny that it is healther for your wii to run a forwarder than to go and flash a channel into your console every 30 days or so when the program updates)
wink.gif

In the long run not only does this save you time but it keeps your consoles "flash count" down
wink.gif
meaning that you will have that many more chances to write to your flash mem... http://www.cosninix.com/blog49/index.php?e...ry080417-230900

lettuce

Trophies
XP
Country
vettacossx said:
Listen bud if you want to update all your emulators and keep those awesome GFX for the channels Make them into forwardewrs with wadder....

Cheers for the guide, if i follow the guide then will i be able to load my roms form my USB harddrive then, as for some reason with TroyTheZombies forwarders on the first page, all the emulators say that it cannot find my USB Harddrive, but if i use a normal wad of the emulator if doesnt have this problem. So theres something in TroyThe Zombies forwarder thats stopping access to the usb harddrive!

lettuce

Trophies
XP
Country
Ok just looked at the link for, 'The List Of Dej's Channel forwarding DOL's' in your gudie above vettacissx, and they only seem to be for SDHC cards, no USB ones. Any idea where i can find compatable USB channel forwarding DOL's??

EeZeEpEe

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Does anyone have a "Troy-like" animated forwarder channels for Wii64, Atari2600, and Atari7800 emulators? If you're still out there Troy, I really love having consistent emulator channels and your work is great. I hope you are not too busy still or have lost interest in creating them. I'm sure I'm not the only one who wishes for just a few more emulator channels.

lettuce

Trophies
XP
Country
Any ideas why these forwarders dont detect my USB drive, i have tried just a standard wad of the emulator and it detects the usb drive fine, just doesnt when i run it through the forwarder??

EeZeEpEe

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
lettuce said:
Any ideas why these forwarders dont detect my USB drive, i have tried just a standard wad of the emulator and it detects the usb drive fine, just doesnt when i run it through the forwarder??
Do you have the .dol /.elf in the right place on your USB drive?

Taken from the first post:
Tries to load USB:\apps\whatever the app is\boot.dol, if that fails
Tries to load USB:\apps\whatever the app is\boot.elf, if that fails

Returns to system menu.

retKHAAAN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Loading the newest revs of Tantric's emulators with ANY forwarder will not read the settings.xml.

To get them to see my harddrive I reinstalled DVDX (though I have no idea why that helped) but they still do not load the settings.xml so I have to search out my roms folder on my HDD each time I load it (unless I use Homebrew Channel).

lettuce

Trophies
XP
Country
EeZeEpEe said:
lettuce said:

Returns to system menu.

Yeah i have it in the correct place...

USB:\apps\snes9xGX\boot.dol

I think if i had it in the wrong place wouldnt it just reset back to the system menu?? Its just strange as all the forwarder does is point to the apps\snes9xGX\ folder and load it, doesnt it?? Yet if i load the same folder through the hbc it finds my USB drive

samhush

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
grog.gif

Cheers and thanks for the channels!

I always preferred the look of a channel but got tired of injecting each new update for my emulators, this solves that.

Thanks again.

svin83

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
The new builds of snes9xgx fceugx and vbagx will not load the settings.xml when these forwarders are used. Anyone know if there's a solution to this?

I remember when I tried to run apps in dos:
If I was in a differnt location on the drive, and just entered the complete path to the executable, then it couldn't find it's files.
But if I went to the directory where the executable was located, and then ran it there was no problem.

Sounds like this could be the issue with these forwarders.

retKHAAAN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
0ld8oy said:
Loading the newest revs of Tantric's emulators with ANY forwarder will not read the settings.xml.

To get them to see my harddrive I reinstalled DVDX (though I have no idea why that helped) but they still do not load the settings.xml so I have to search out my roms folder on my HDD each time I load it (unless I use Homebrew Channel).

lettuce said:
EeZeEpEe said:
QUOTE(lettuce @ Oct 19 2009, 11:42 AM) Any ideas why these forwarders dont detect my USB drive, i have tried just a standard wad of the emulator and it detects the usb drive fine, just doesnt when i run it through the forwarder??

Returns to system menu.

Yeah i have it in the correct place...

USB:\apps\snes9xGX\boot.dol

I think if i had it in the wrong place wouldnt it just reset back to the system menu?? Its just strange as all the forwarder does is point to the apps\snes9xGX\ folder and load it, doesnt it?? Yet if i load the same folder through the hbc it finds my USB drive

I checked the google code issues page for Tantric's emulators and found that not only is HDD support broken in new revs but it will not be fixed. The claim is that the current libfat doesn't support it...but there were a couple of snide comments suggesting that this might be intentional and a move (albeit small) against pirates...

Everything is running fine for me when loading everything from SD.

lettuce

Trophies
XP
Country
Really, maybe its cISO releated, do u have hermes installed? It must be able to detect my usb drive as it loads the snes9x GX emulator from the usb drive itself, as i dont have a SD card inserted in my Wii

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lmao that sold out fast