Hacking Trouble getting MPT to run from SD card

WasabiGames

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I've been trying to run the Metroid Prime Trilogy through a USB loader using an SD card and it really isn't working out.

I don't have an external hard drive to use, and hearing of other people who've been able to run wii games through SD cards, I figured it would be a piece of cake. However, all three main USB loaders haven't given me any good results thus far. I have a wbfs folder on the root of my SD card, with a folder in it, with a .wbfs file and a .wbf1 file, both of which are MPT. I am trying to run this through vWii so maybe that's a part of the issue.

USB Loader GX can't load wii games through SD cards. Alright. I get that, even if a feature like that is way overdue. Wiiflow has gotten me the closest to potentially playing it, even having the boxart and it plays the music when I select it. However, once I try to run the game, it loads for a moment, and then the WiiU disc drive makes a noise, and then the screen goes black and I have to unplug my console (My wii remote disconnects too and won't reconnect, i've tried leaving the screen for roughly 20 minutes and nothing happens). CFG, despite seeming the most promising, can't open without d2x, and I can't install d2x without IOS 236, and I just can't seem to install ios236 (I have IOS36 on my SD card, but then it asks for an IOS with trucha bug).

I'm wondering if there's a very simple solution (that isn't buying a hard drive) that maybe i'm not seeing, or just don't understand. Perhaps maybe the best possible tutorial for this specific thing has slipped past me. I've heard a bit about the MPT being more troublesome than other wii games in the past regarding these usb loaders. Any help a guy can get?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
which cIOS are you using? (and why can't users tell their properly setup from the start)
There are more than 50 different d2x possible versions, based on the one you use game are compatible or not. when you ask for help, please ALWAYS provide the versions of everything you use.

if you think "latest = best" then that's your problem.
d2x revision 53 is not compatible with games on SD, you need d2x revision 52 instead.
the best base IOS are 57 (and some games may need 56).

the "common" setup is this :

slot 249 : d2x r52 base 56
slot 250 : d2x r52 base 57

Last edited by Cyan,

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I've been trying to run the Metroid Prime Trilogy through a USB loader using an SD card and it really isn't working out.

I don't have an external hard drive to use, and hearing of other people who've been able to run wii games through SD cards, I figured it would be a piece of cake. However, all three main USB loaders haven't given me any good results thus far. I have a wbfs folder on the root of my SD card, with a folder in it, with a .wbfs file and a .wbf1 file, both of which are MPT. I am trying to run this through vWii so maybe that's a part of the issue.

USB Loader GX can't load wii games through SD cards. Alright. I get that, even if a feature like that is way overdue. Wiiflow has gotten me the closest to potentially playing it, even having the boxart and it plays the music when I select it. However, once I try to run the game, it loads for a moment, and then the WiiU disc drive makes a noise, and then the screen goes black and I have to unplug my console (My wii remote disconnects too and won't reconnect, i've tried leaving the screen for roughly 20 minutes and nothing happens). CFG, despite seeming the most promising, can't open without d2x, and I can't install d2x without IOS 236, and I just can't seem to install ios236 (I have IOS36 on my SD card, but then it asks for an IOS with trucha bug).

I'm wondering if there's a very simple solution (that isn't buying a hard drive) that maybe i'm not seeing, or just don't understand. Perhaps maybe the best possible tutorial for this specific thing has slipped past me. I've heard a bit about the MPT being more troublesome than other wii games in the past regarding these usb loaders. Any help a guy can get?
Do you even have a cIOS? From the sound of it you don't. You can't play Wii backups without a cIOS.
I don't know what guide you're following, but I'm pretty sure you don't need IOS236. It's nice to have, but you don't need it.
Try ModMii, it downloads all the needed files for you and generates a custom guide. Used it many times myself with success.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
you are right, I skipped the part where he said he can't install d2x.
seeing he speak about 236, he might follow an old (and bad) guide.

To install d2x, follow this step :

- setup internet access on your Wii, and do not block Nintendo's URL (filter, or anything setup for 3DS or WiiU hack)
- download d2x installer full pack for Wii (NOT WiiU vWii)
- create this folder on your SD card : SD:/apps/d2x_installer/
- extract the downloaded zip into that created folder

you should have this :
SD:/apps/d2x_installer/boot.dol
SD:/apps/d2x_installer/icon.png
SD:/apps/d2x_installer/meta.xml
SD:/apps/d2x_installer/ciosmaps.xml
SD:/apps/d2x_installer/7/
SD:/apps/d2x_installer/8/
SD:/apps/d2x_installer/10/

put SD on Wii.
Launch HBC (at least 1.0.7 or newer. It will not work on older version ! follow modmii if your HBC is older than 1.1.0)
Launch d2x installer

press d-pad left/right/up/down to navigate the options :

What : d2x v8 final
where : slot 249
base : 57
version : 21008
Press A and A to install.
after successful install, exit the installer.

Done.

WasabiGames

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Alright so after reading your replies the first thing I tried was to use Modmii and that was kinda a bust. When trying to install it norton would keep deleting it (I really hate norton, i'll get a better antivirus soon) and once I got norton to stop deleting it, it would crash upon opening. I tried getting it to work for a while with no luck. The program sounds invaluable but in this state I can't use it.

Sorry for not initially posting a syscheck, I didn't know I needed to.

SysCheck HDE v2.4.0 HacksDen Edition by JoostinOnline, Double_A, R2-D2199, and Nano
...runs on vIOS58 (rev 6432).

Region: NTSC-U
System Menu 4.3U (v609)

Drive date: 07.12.2012
Homebrew Channel 1.1.2 running on IOS58

Hollywood v0x21
Console ID: 618321736
Console Type: vWii
Shop Channel Country: Canada (18)
Boot2 v0
Found 57 titles.
Found 31 IOS on this console. 0 of them are stubs.

vIOS9 (rev 1290): No Patches
vIOS12 (rev 782): No Patches
vIOS13 (rev 1288): No Patches
vIOS14 (rev 1288): No Patches
vIOS15 (rev 1288): No Patches
vIOS17 (rev 1288): No Patches
vIOS21 (rev 1295): No Patches
vIOS22 (rev 1550): No Patches
vIOS28 (rev 2063): No Patches
vIOS31 (rev 3864): No Patches
vIOS33 (rev 3864): No Patches
vIOS34 (rev 3864): No Patches
vIOS35 (rev 3864): No Patches
vIOS36 (rev 3864): No Patches
vIOS37 (rev 5919): No Patches
vIOS38 (rev 4380): No Patches
vIOS41 (rev 3863): No Patches
vIOS43 (rev 3863): No Patches
vIOS45 (rev 3863): No Patches
vIOS46 (rev 3863): No Patches
vIOS48 (rev 4380): No Patches
vIOS53 (rev 5919): No Patches
vIOS55 (rev 5919): No Patches
vIOS56 (rev 5918): No Patches
vIOS57 (rev 6175): No Patches
vIOS58 (rev 6432): USB 2.0
vIOS59 (rev 9249): No Patches
vIOS62 (rev 6942): No Patches
vIOS80 (rev 7200): No Patches
vIOS512 (rev 7): No Patches
vIOS513 (rev 1): No Patches
Report generated on 02/09/2018.

Afterwards I tried to install the dx2-v8-final that I was told to, although the installation failed. It states that I need IOS57-64-v5918.wad. I believe I should use NUS downloader to download that file and put it in the root of my SD card? (Just asking for confirmation)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: wtf is the point of banning swearing in games? that's utterly a dumb decision the new...