Hacking TriiForce beta testing

dsfanatic5

Team ICO Freak
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is for those who keep getting the ret = -1 error when mounting USB with Triforce.

I have personally done enough testing to confirm that not all USB devices are currently compatible with this program. If you are experiencing the ret + -1 error when loading your nand backup from USB, it's probably your device. When testing my 8gb I/O Magic (manufactured by Cornice Inc.) device, I get the error every time. This drive passes every single test you could throw at it, including USB Loader GX, all emulators, and MPlayerCE. It will destroy your mind as to why you get the error, especially when everyone else seems to have success. This is not exclusive to this particular drive, as a few other devices give me the same error.

Tonight I opened a new Seagate Freeagent Go 500gb drive (I've already set up 2 of these), and partitioned it to where the first partition is 120gb primary/ACTIVE, and the second partition was dedicated to WBFS. I tested it with the usual apps, and all tests were successful. I then tested the first partition which is FAT32 primary/active with my nand backup, and Triforce recognized it for the first time. Consider that before this, Triforce wouldn't recognize any USB device I had, except for a crappy 2gb pen drive.

I realize that Triforce is in beta form, and that many bugs still exist. I just wanted to give peace to those few that experience problems with this program, and can't use their preferred USB device. As of right now, there's no wiki, or list of compatible devices, but I can confirm that there are issues with different devices. So if you get the ret = -1 error when loading your backup nand in USB, try a different device. It should be obvious now that your device be set to ACTIVE in window's disk management option, but this won't always result in success.

Strangely enough, games that wouldn't load with my previous SD nand backup, now load with my partition 1 nand backup. Metal Slug NTSC gave me an error message on my SD card (which loaded other games fine), but loads perfectly on my new USB partition. This is not a problem with IOS202, but rather an inconsistancy with different devices. I hope this adds relief to those who've given up on this application altogether (like I almost did). Thanks again to the hard work that the Triforce team has put in. The app does work, and it's progress is amazing
smile.gif

djda

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Barbados
So after using SFSD version 2 and the beta 5 version of TriiForce i could successfully boot all of my wiiware and vc games off my USB that i have tried (7 of the more than 40 titles) the problem of what was happening before was i could not get my nand to dump and used one off a friends wii. Then i would boot the game and the remotes would lose sync with the wii as i suppose it tried to boot into that wii's bluetooth module well i have no clue but it now works with mine and no problems with any games.

Using an 8GB Kingston Data Traveler.

So nice app and cant wait to see more from the nand emulation.

aabbccdd

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
s3phir0th115 said:
aabbccdd said:
FYI, you can't install DLC with wad2nand.

Are you sure? I managed to do just that with several DLC games I have.

Well, I tried it with FFIV: After Years and FFCC: My Life As A Darklord, and both created the appropriate folders, but only a few files. Had to manually copy DLC from my FSToolbox -directory.

nicksasa

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
dsfanatic5 said:
This is for those who keep getting the ret = -1 error when mounting USB with Triforce.

I have personally done enough testing to confirm that not all USB devices are currently compatible with this program. If you are experiencing the ret + -1 error when loading your nand backup from USB, it's probably your device. When testing my 8gb I/O Magic (manufactured by Cornice Inc.) device, I get the error every time. This drive passes every single test you could throw at it, including USB Loader GX, all emulators, and MPlayerCE. It will destroy your mind as to why you get the error, especially when everyone else seems to have success. This is not exclusive to this particular drive, as a few other devices give me the same error.

Tonight I opened a new Seagate Freeagent Go 500gb drive (I've already set up 2 of these), and partitioned it to where the first partition is 120gb primary/ACTIVE, and the second partition was dedicated to WBFS. I tested it with the usual apps, and all tests were successful. I then tested the first partition which is FAT32 primary/active with my nand backup, and Triforce recognized it for the first time. Consider that before this, Triforce wouldn't recognize any USB device I had, except for a crappy 2gb pen drive.

I realize that Triforce is in beta form, and that many bugs still exist. I just wanted to give peace to those few that experience problems with this program, and can't use their preferred USB device. As of right now, there's no wiki, or list of compatible devices, but I can confirm that there are issues with different devices. So if you get the ret = -1 error when loading your backup nand in USB, try a different device. It should be obvious now that your device be set to ACTIVE in window's disk management option, but this won't always result in success.

Strangely enough, games that wouldn't load with my previous SD nand backup, now load with my partition 1 nand backup. Metal Slug NTSC gave me an error message on my SD card (which loaded other games fine), but loads perfectly on my new USB partition. This is not a problem with IOS202, but rather an inconsistancy with different devices. I hope this adds relief to those who've given up on this application altogether (like I almost did). Thanks again to the hard work that the Triforce team has put in. The app does work, and it's progress is amazing
smile.gif

I would like to remind you that, 1/TriiForce is indeed in beta, 2/ We only do a call to the cIOS to mount sd/usb and then set emulation on, nothing more so all the compaility issue's(exept game issue's) are in cIOS not in TriiForce itself

Ossot

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
carbonyle said:
I prefer install wads from the PC with Wad2NAND and emulate from SD, This is the simpliest way I think (1/ Simple FS Dumper 0.2, 2/ extract wads with wad2nand, 3/ copy to sd title & ticket folders, 4/ lauchn triiforce and choose sd nand, 5/ enjoy
wink.gif
)

Using the above method. It's able to see the wads i've installed, attempts to load them.. Reads TMD..ticket..certs.. then

ES_Identify...Error! ES_Identify (ret = -4100;) Data invalid!
Identify failed
Press any key to continue

Sup? Gonna run TBR now and patch ios36 for ES_Identify.. but since triiforce is using 249, i don't see how that will help =/

Ossot

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've tried two thus far, both gave the exact same. I'll grab a whole variety pack later and try. I read on a few threads, who knows how reliable it is, that a guy was able to fix it by messing with the wads on a different computer. I don't understand why that would work at all. So far it's failed on my PC & and my laptop. But both run Windows 7. I'm installing the XP mode now to try it within the virtual PC.. why not

Ossot

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Got -1024's with those, iirc anyway. My original dump was using ftpii + wiind2. Now i'm using SFSD. Gonna see if that goes better. I've also grab'd a ton of misc wads to test with post dump.

aabbccdd

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Ossot said:
Got -1024's with those, iirc anyway. My original dump was using ftpii + wiind2. Now i'm using SFSD. Gonna see if that goes better. I've also grab'd a ton of misc wads to test with post dump.

-1024 comes if you try to install two wads in a row. You have to reset your Wii after every installation, shutting it down and starting it again. Pressing home-button in Wad manager crashes the program.

Ossot

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Initial dump was using ftpii + wiind2 etc.. nothing I did was happy.

Deleted that out. Used nick's SFSD. Initially I thought it failed too, as I was doing one of the FFCC and after an hour of fails I quickly assumed wad manager froze up during the content install. However after trying a smaller wad and seeing it just takes longer this way, i'm happy to report everything now works. Installing + playing is fine.

So i'm not sure if my initial nand dump was corrupt or what. But after pulling out a do-over everything is solid. Thanks for the helps people.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I tried TRiiForce for the first time, with usb-Nand. it's working great.
I'm using an usb flash stick, I think there is no sleep problem.

I launched FFCC Mlaak, I could play a little. I tried the DLC feature but couldn't connect to nintendo server and got an error number.
when I wanted to stop playing, just after a save game (so nand writing was ok) I pushed home button and got this error :

QUOTE said:
Could not write to/read from Wii system
memory. For details, please read the Wii
Operations Manual.

I don't know if it's important to report it, I thought I would anyway.
I'm on 3.2E, cIOS14 on wii, and cIOS10 on nand backup (I dumped it before installing cIOS14)
home button already worked once, it happened only once.

Sic-suicide

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
okay im not a noob or newfag
but i cant seem to get any nand dumps to work

any ideas of what to use to dump?

I know that bootmii dump never worked but my dump from fstool box doesnt work
either
  ▲
▲ ▲
(see i know how to triiforce)

Phylos

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Was finally able to get the channel to work with my Sandisk 2GB card, but it says it cant get the directory count using a 4GB card. should this be formatted as fat or fat32?

nicksasa

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
doesnt really matter, just make sure you HAVE a nand FS dump on your sd and have a structure like

sd:/title
sd:/meta
sd:/shared1
etc

Phylos

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nicksasa said:
doesnt really matter, just make sure you HAVE a nand FS dump on your sd and have a structure like

sd:/title
sd:/meta
sd:/shared1
etc

Thank you for the quick reply.... I copied the Nand folders from the 2GB card and get the error.... Before copying, I made a note of each of the folders needed so I wouldn't miss any. For some reason when trying to use simple FS dumper .02 it tells me the SD card was removed preventing a fresh dump. Any recommendations?

:Edit:

Folder structure copied from 4GB to the 2GB works just fine. Also, I can confirm that My Pokemon ranch has issues with the current version of triiforce. It gives me the word wii in the middle of the screen and hangs till I press A; at which point the system restarts.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AV8dBxGdNxk