onepiecefreak

Kuriimu 2 Developer
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hello there, folks.

This is the first full blown update since the creation of this thread and we can finally share screenshots, updates and major changes to the game.
First and foremost, as you might notice with this post, we're not dead. I repeat, we're not dead. We still work actively on this project and are doing great progress.

Major changes
We replaced the font of the game with Roboto Condensed. Level5 used a font, that had relatively wide latin characters. So we decided recently to replace the existing font with a condensed, slimmer, and still readable one. This gave us way more free space to work with, since each line could hold more letters than before.

We edited the menu layouts. Due to our font and translated text having no furigana anymore we had way too much space between each line left unfilled. That on itself wasn't a problem visually, since one could still read everything. But it left out much space to write text on. With changes to the menu layouts we could patch out those open spaces between each line, which gave us ~2 lines more to express the information per screen.

Translation
The most important thing for this visual novel, of course, is the story and accompanying texts. Currently our translation reached a status where an initial playthrough of the story would be possible, ignoring all the helpful side information given in the menus, qualitiy checked story text and post game content. We won't release anything until at least chapter 1 is fully translated, with all the aforementioned missing aspects done and there won't be an ETA of any sort still.

Reverse engineering
Over the course of the last year, we reverse engineered way more of the games formats and code. With this new knowledge we are currently able to edit the games main flow, the individual scenes, and events. But what does that mean?​
That means we basically could rearrange the stories order of events and edit them to a greater extent. Of course we aren't going to do that, but that's the capability of what our research brought to light until now. When our project is finished and we release our tools, modders might find great benefit in this sort of thing.

We hope you will stay tuned for when we do our first release and that you not have lost faith in our work.
Until then, always remember that fate always is in your hands.

Screenshots:
xAZDbWs.png
nwWuhX6.png
dfAMQBA.png
LDbrBen.png
VgSriC1.png
MDtei8J.png
Ta643dn.png
Q0kfHIG.png
txHakRC.png

ExData7

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello there, folks.

This is the first full blown update since the creation of this thread and we can finally share screenshots, updates and major changes to the game.
First and foremost, as you might notice with this post, we're not dead. I repeat, we're not dead. We still work actively on this project and are doing great progress.

Major changes
We replaced the font of the game with Roboto Condensed. Level5 used a font, that had relatively wide latin characters. So we decided recently to replace the existing font with a condensed, slimmer, and still readable one. This gave us way more free space to work with, since each line could hold more letters than before.

We edited the menu layouts. Due to our font and translated text having no furigana anymore we had way too much space between each line left unfilled. That on itself wasn't a problem visually, since one could still read everything. But it left out much space to write text on. With changes to the menu layouts we could patch out those open spaces between each line, which gave us ~2 lines more to express the information per screen.

Translation
The most important thing for this visual novel, of course, is the story and accompanying texts. Currently our translation reached a status where an initial playthrough of the story would be possible, ignoring all the helpful side information given in the menus, qualitiy checked story text and post game content. We won't release anything until at least chapter 1 is fully translated, with all the aforementioned missing aspects done and there won't be an ETA of any sort still.

Reverse engineering
Over the course of the last year, we reverse engineered way more of the games formats and code. With this new knowledge we are currently able to edit the games main flow, the individual scenes, and events. But what does that mean?​
That means we basically could rearrange the stories order of events and edit them to a greater extent. Of course we aren't going to do that, but that's the capability of what our research brought to light until now. When our project is finished and we release our tools, modders might find great benefit in this sort of thing.

We hope you will stay tuned for when we do our first release and that you not have lost faith in our work.
Until then, always remember that fate always is in your hands.

Screenshots:
xAZDbWs.png
nwWuhX6.png
dfAMQBA.png
LDbrBen.png
VgSriC1.png
MDtei8J.png
Ta643dn.png
Q0kfHIG.png
txHakRC.png
Does the team have any plans to port the translation over to the vita version once completed? Great as always too keep it up!!!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Last edited by ExData7,

onepiecefreak

Kuriimu 2 Developer
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Does the team have any plans to port the translation over to the vita version once completed? Great as always too keep it up!!!

Plans do exist, yes. But due to another platform, we would need to redo some assembly patches and also redo most layout edits. So we it could take a bit more time after release porting it to the vita.

ExData7

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Plans do exist, yes. But due to another platform, we would need to redo some assembly patches and also redo most layout edits. So we it could take a bit more time after release porting it to the vita.
Ah no worries I was curious if it was in the cards or not. I own a 3ds and vita so I'll have an excuse to play the game twice haha. Goodluck with the current project, wishing you guys the best

onepiecefreak

Kuriimu 2 Developer
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
@Nickolo As you might see in my first post or the update post, there is no link to any patch. And in my update post I said, that the patch won't be released until we think the results are enough to be shown, therefore we also never disclosed an ETA. So you cannot download the patch anywhere currently.

ChibiMofo

Elon Musk is my dog
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It's a shame that it takes so much work and so much time to translate these games. Your first post was almost exactly three years ago, and there's still no patch. Not complaining. Just wish the process was easier for you folks doing all the work.

onepiecefreak

Kuriimu 2 Developer
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
We aren't that many people working on some reverse engineering parts (currently only me). So the main work is done by only one person, while the translation itself goes very smoothly. But a translation is worth less if it can't get back into the game obviously. So with more time on my side or at least a companion in reverse engineering we could make faster progress.

Reactions: sadoku

Nickolo

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Oh okay, sorry for asking. anyway, thank you so much for the hard work tho wish im good at this stuff so i could help but im not.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do you know if the night will be good when you're asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    because i didn't say i was asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    do y'all think having an sd card that has a write speed of 700kb/s is a bad idea?
    trying to restore emunand rn but it's taking ages... (also when I finished the first time hekate decided to delete all my fucking files :wacko:)
    @Karma177 that sd card is 100% faulty so yes, its a bad idea
    even the slowest non-sdhc sd cards are a few MB/s
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    @The Real Jdbye it hasn't given me any error trying to write things on it so I don't really think it's faulty (pasted 40/50gb+ folders and no write errors)
    Karma177 @ Karma177: @The Real Jdbye it hasn't given me any error trying to write things on it so I don't really...