ROM Hack [Translation] Labyrinth no Kanata (Beyond the Labyrinth)

Romsstar

Operation Decoded
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I spent the morning working on a the tool to modify CTPK files. I used Normmatt's texture code from texuripper and made it into something more featured. Not only can it convert CTPK images into PNGs, it can now also convert PNGs into CTPK files (given a valid metadata file). Since CTPK files don't seem to care what type of image data representation is used, I opted to support only writing Rgb8 and Argb8 since those are the easiest.

With the completed CTPK tool, I was also able to adjust the font file. I've adjusted all of the alphanumerical characters and manually tweaked the width of each. Everything looks beautiful in-game now. However, it brought along another bug that I wasn't expecting so now I get to have fun fixing that. Once that's fixed, and I fix up the script editor tool a little bit to work even better with the new font, then the majority of the programming-related stuff will be finished I believe.

Oh, I never heard about that project before. Cool! Good luck to you guys. :D

Feel free to check your PMs, there's a thing I'd like to discuss with you... :)

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
patch as cia is a good idea.

I thought only about a bunch of bats with an already xorpaded game done by the user. it's lot of steps, not very noob proof.
Someone released a patch by re-Xoring the patched ROM and creating the patch from it. It creates a small patch (few Kb) and should contains only the patch difference, no game content.
But if cia is easy to handle (and we don't need DevMenu) that will be a good method.

MarkDarkness

Nocturnal
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I spent the morning working on a the tool to modify CTPK files. I used Normmatt's texture code from texuripper and made it into something more featured. Not only can it convert CTPK images into PNGs, it can now also convert PNGs into CTPK files (given a valid metadata file). Since CTPK files don't seem to care what type of image data representation is used, I opted to support only writing Rgb8 and Argb8 since those are the easiest. I'll release the tool later after getting permission

With the completed CTPK tool, I was also able to adjust the font file. I've adjusted all of the alphanumerical characters and manually tweaked the width of each. Everything looks beautiful in-game now. However, it brought along another bug that I wasn't expecting so now I get to have fun fixing that. Once that's fixed, and I fix up the script editor tool a little bit to work even better with the new font, then the majority of the programming-related stuff will be finished I believe.

Oh, I never heard about that project before. Cool! Good luck to you guys. :D

That's something I was a little concerned about to be honest. I brainstormed with a few people on IRC when I was first starting the project, and there were a few methods we came up with. My initial idea was to just release it as a bunch of bats and tools and people could extract the ROM themselves and patch it. The second idea I got was that the Pokemon community apparently releases patch files for 0 key encrypted ROMs. And the last idea, which I like the most if it's actually viable, is to release the patch as a .cia file like you would download from the eShop. That would be the simplest if I can get it to work.
Wow, a CIA solution would be so damn elegant... That's really worth trying. It would also set a standard for future efforts.

D

Deleted User

This is awesome, I'd wanted to play this game a while ago but more or less forgot about it.

You said previously that you'd decoded all the formats in the game, does that include the model,texture formats at all? If so it'd be great if you shared your findings so someone could add it to a viewer, unless you have your own viewer/converter for it.

D

Deleted User

The models in the game are the standard NintendoWare formats, so they can be opened in EveryFileExplorer. Some have issues that stop them from loading though. The images and stuff are also standard NintendoWare formats. The archives and scripts and stuff, however, are not.

Yeah I can see the models and a lot of the stuff are cgfx files, but they're in archives within all the .bin files, archive headers are mpak8 or p@ck, You were able to extract these 2 then I'm guessing, since it seems everything from the ROMFS.bin is just compressed .bin archives containing the other files. It'd be great if you were able to share your tool for unpacking those 2 archives, even if its just command line.

NyaakoXD

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Edit: Save file editing didn't quite pan out, but I think I found the next best thing...
U2V8qko.jpg
Beautiful... Just beautiful... *wipes tear*

shinyquagsire23

SALT/Sm4sh Leak Guy
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wonder how difficult it would be to correct the spacing on some of the characters. Unless the entire font is monospace there might be a spacing table or something which could make the text a bit more readable.

shinyquagsire23

SALT/Sm4sh Leak Guy
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Much work has gone into the font, so it's not a problem anymore. The pictures in the first post are kinda old from when I first started modifying the text. The 8-bit RPG font will most likely stay the same for style reasons.

Sweet, might grab this game and try this out. I'm actually really curious about this one because of the style choices they used.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
It's a little complex but I already have a system like that almost. I already released my tool to easily extract the different sections of a ROM given the xorpads. Using this (or a slightly modified version of it), it wouldn't be too hard to make something noob friendly as long as they have the xorpads.

I considered the re-xoring thing but I'm not entirely sure how to do it so I'd have to look into it a little bit later. Getting rid of the need for xorpads would be a great help. And also getting rid of the need for something like DevMenu would also be nice.
if you don't figure out making it a cia update patch file, i should be able to help you make a re-xored patch that can be applied directly to the rom.

but yeah the cia method would be much nicer, i was looking into making a cia patch i while back but never got around to testing it out.....hmmm, maybe when i get some more free time

good luck anyway, nice to see things picking up in the rom hacking/modding department :D

Korin

Trophies
XP
Country
Sweet, might grab this game and try this out. I'm actually really curious about this one because of the style choices they used.
This looks great, and I too will probably play it just because of the effort put into hacking and translating it.
Keep up the good work bra(h)

Cerzel

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I've been hoping beyond hope that someone would translate this ever since it came out. Just popping in to say thank you, and I'll be looking forward to it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    AI needs money for AI drugs lol
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    "Ai Cocaine Is a hell of a drug."
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ai doc my reality prescriptions running low I need 5,000mg
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Ok for real i'm back
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    generative AI is getting better at animating stuff, but still looks like a fever dream in most cases
    +1
  • T @ Texasauras:
    GOLD GRAIN 1/4 QUARTER BARS FOR LIKE $5
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Wut?
  • T @ Texasauras:
    bro lost all his money on gacha toys
    https://gachax2.com/
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Texasauras, i thought you were spamming
    +1
  • T @ Texasauras:
    i was just telling everyone i was collecting bullion, desperate times calls for desperate measures
  • T @ Texasauras:
    i was just "window" shopping
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Gonna leave in any moment
  • T @ Texasauras:
    bro if i drop a stack on red and you drop a stack on black at the roulette table and we pushed, does that mean i gave you a stack?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Texasauras, i don't get it
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Wut
    +1
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    I don't have it you fucking monster
  • T @ Texasauras:
    what i didn't do anything!
  • T @ Texasauras:
    since i doubled up, or you lost your stack and if i gave it to you instead of running off at the roulette table does that mean i "gave" you a stack lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Stop touching people's stacks
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Can I get AI to make Home Alone VS Micheal Jackson and R Kelly as the new wet bandits?
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    i have access to an AI that makes CGI movie scenes
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    it's in beta
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    If Jack didn't think about pussy he could've made some friends with a good few millionaires tbh
    +1
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: If Jack didn't think about pussy he could've made some friends with a good few millionaires tbh +1