[Translation] Labyrinth no Kanata (Beyond the Labyrinth)

Discussion in '3DS - ROM Hacking, Translations and Utilities' started by Nagato, Jan 23, 2015.

1. Nagato
    OP

Nagato GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 15, 2011
    United States
    [​IMG]

Information
    Release Date (JP): January 19, 2012
    Genre: Action role-playing game, Dungeon crawl
    Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beyond_the_Labyrinth

Team
    Translation: Nagato, Angular
    Hacking/Programming: Nagato
    Graphics: Vodka
    Testers: gamesquest1, sarkwalvein, Shadowtrance
    Special Thanks: Gericom (Etc1A4 code from EveryFileExplorer), Normmatt, Ambassador

Releases
    Beyond the Labyrinth English Translation
    Version: 1.1
    Release Date: September 14th, 2015
    Download Link: http://www.mediafire.com/download/m3jtzf73e1uxkcw/

Readme:
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

Think of this as a public test patch. It's not 100% complete, but I translated all of the text *I* encountered throughout the game. It's hard to know the context of all of the lines without knowing when and where the text shows up, so some conversations have been left untranslated until they've been found. I would appreciate it if anyone who plays this patch reports any untranslated text in this thread so it can be translated in the final patch, which will be released at a later date.

To determine what version of the patch you are playing (only this one exists for now), there will be a version string at the bottom of the title screen. This patch should say "Ver: 0.1 PBT". If you are reporting an error, please make sure you are on the latest patch.

Enjoy!

Last edited by Nagato, Sep 14, 2015

2. MarkDarkness

MarkDarkness Deliverator

Dec 17, 2009
    Poland
    Hey Nagato, great to see you working on something new (I did some work for Aaron on GCCX2, so I've heard good things about your hacking).

Really looking forward to the translation, as it looks like a really exciting game. Also, always great to see new stuff translated on Nintendo platforms.

3. Rikua

Rikua Member

Newcomer
    Dec 2, 2014
    United States
    I remember seeing trailers for this game, looks fantastic. I also remember winning $10 from a bet about this game getting localized lol
    I have yet to play this, but I'm curious, is it like a "classic" dungeon crawler (Wizardry/DnD eye of the beholder)? Or does it have any fancy gimmicks?

4. cearp

cearp the ticket master

May 26, 2008
    Tuvalu
    the game is weird, it starts off so old school and 2d haha, it was nice to get out that first dungeon!

5. Nagato
    OP

Jul 15, 2011
    United States
    Thanks! Honestly, I'm more of a hacker than I am a translator, so I wouldn't look forward to it too much unless I can get a dedicated translator in here.

As I said in the rambling section, I'm usually not a big fan of dungeon crawlers so I haven't played Wizardry or things like that. So I don't really have a basis for what's classic and what's a gimmick. Compared to what little I know of dungeon crawlers, the very beginning sequence (and the sequence when you die) is more like a traditional dungeon crawler. The 3D dungeon crawler part allows you to move diagonally (within the grids still) and allows you to move your camera 360 degrees. There's also a system where, if you attack an enemy that is weak to your type (there are 3 types in the game), a counter gathers in the top right corner. The next player (or enemy!) of a matching type to attack receives that value back as healing. So, say if you are a blue type, and attack a red enemy, red energy gathers in the top corner equal to the amount of damage you did. If a red enemy is able to attack before a red party member can, then the enemy gains the energy back as health. If a red party member attacks first, then they gain the energy back as health. I guess that's kinda like a gimmick? It makes you pay attention to your attacks to make sure you don't screw yourself out of precious health. Another gimmick is that it's set in an online game kind of setting. So the other 3 party members are chatting the entire time you're playing.

Haha, yeah. It kinda confused me at first but it just made me love it even more. If the controls were as strict as they were in the 2D section then I would've given up I think. It caught my interest, though.

Classicgamer and MarkDarkness like this.
  6. LinkmstrYT

LinkmstrYT ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Dec 16, 2013
    United States
    You wanted to see where I live? You stalker...
    I can't wait for this to be finished! :D

Classicgamer likes this.
  7. misterb98

misterb98 Moral Gateway User. Wat.

Aug 24, 2010
    United States
    I think I would enjoy this when finished.

I also wish I knew enough Japanese to help! ...I'm just a second year student :(

8. Nagato
    OP

Jul 15, 2011
    United States
    So this morning I made a mistake and deleted the font file with the good VWF, so I have to redo that a bit. :( I have a slightly outdated backup and will try searching for another, but that's some time lost... I also need to add support into the script editor for the variable width font so we can test wordwrapping again. I've spent the day so far trying to figure out why the game is crashing, but I'm kind of at a loss right now... I'm pretty sure it's a problem with the text inserter but I don't know where exactly. :(

More importantly, a translator that I did some small project with a few years ago came out of nowhere saying he was interested in helping out with the translation! I won't name names yet without asking first but he's more than welcome to pop into the thread and say hi if he wants.

Classicgamer likes this.
  9. LinkmstrYT

LinkmstrYT ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Dec 16, 2013
    United States
    That really sucks. D:
    Well, take your time. It's better to have a quality release after all.

10. Zidapi

Zidapi GBAtemp Psycho!

Dec 1, 2002
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is the first Japanese to English project for 3DS yeah? Exciting times indeed!

11. Nagato
    OP

Jul 15, 2011
    United States
    Another progress update:
    Good news! I was able to recover the font from an old file in my Recycle Bin from last night. It'll require a little bit of tweaking but it's mostly right. I'll make a real backup of it this time. :P

Also, a small bump to the translation number. I wrote before that I had about 130 lines or so translated, but today when I was redoing part of my text insertion tool, I went through and marked every translated line, and it came out to about 680 lines total. So the translation percentage has bumped up a bit.

And finally, I finally tracked down and fixed the bug I wrote about before. So the game should be playable now.

Now that you mention it, I don't know of any other public projects off the top of my head. Only Pokemon hacks and undubs. Fun!

12. LinkmstrYT

LinkmstrYT ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Dec 16, 2013
    United States
    This is truly amazing! I'm so glad for you Nagato! :D

13. mdtank

mdtank Member

Newcomer
    Dec 31, 2014
    Hungary
    When I checked out the japanese games on 3DS, this one stuck to my eye. It's great to see an initiative like this!

I don't have any japanese or hacking knowledge but if you want a QA person, I might be able to help. PM me if interested.

14. angular

angular Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 25, 2015
    United States
    Hi I'm angular and I'll be working with Nagato as a translator too. I've translated quite a bit of manga (under a different handle) and I've been interested in ROM hacks and translating games, so I'm happy to work on this project because it is one of the few untranslated 3DS games I really like. In addition to the pretty graphics, this game has one of the best combat systems that I've seen in games of its kind. I'm looking forward to seeing you play this game in English!

15. LinkmstrYT

LinkmstrYT ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Dec 16, 2013
    United States
    Why hello and glad to see you here too! :D

16. BouncyBread

BouncyBread Member

Newcomer
    Jan 14, 2015
    Canada
    Toronto, Ontario
    :D Great work. Hope you finish it, looking forward to playing this game.

17. Nagato
    OP

Jul 15, 2011
    United States
    I set up an easy way for us to collaborate on everything, so he should be able to start working on it freely starting from today.

More good news: I talked with Normmatt a bit last night and got some more information about the CTPK format, and was able to write a tool to allow me to modify the image data as required. I should be able to tweak a few odd parts of the font file now with this. It's a NintendoWare format so I'm considering expanding my tool more to include complete generation of CTPK files and releasing it separately since it would be useful for everyone. There are a few bits that I'm unsure about still so we'll see.

18. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    It's nice to see translation groups for 3DS :)
    hopefully we will have a legit method to release patches by when you complete it.
    Good luck working on it!

I tried to search current translation projects, we have 3 active and 1 (Chinese) release.
    Maybe we could make a sticky thread with projects and one with requests like we have on other sections.
    Someone want to maintain it?

BORTZ likes this.
  19. cearp

cearp the ticket master

May 26, 2008
    Tuvalu
    another game is very nearly finished it's chinese translation, maybe even done :) - but i'm not sure what game, they didn't tell me, ha

20. Romsstar

Romsstar Operation Decoded

Sep 14, 2008
    Gambia, The

Well we were first with Digimon World Decode for the 3DS ;) But nevertheless it's great to see other 3D translations in the work :)