ROM Hack Translating Rosario + vampire ds game

buya11

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just thought I'd drop in and say hi again and keep up the awesome work! (god the last time i posted here was 2011?!)

jjjewel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anyone or any hacker knows how the game checks the speakers (I mean the names of the speakers, ex. Moka, Tsukune, etc.) and text orders? The text format that was discussed earlier in the thread only has info about text offset and length, but I can't find which files control the order of those texts and output different speaker's names in the game.

I tried looking at this game many times in the past but the problem that I couldn't locate how the game controls text orders kind of made things difficult because the game sometimes reuses text from previous lines. With repetitive lines, the translation might sound right in one part but sounds really off in another part.

(Note: If this project is dead, I'm thinking about working on it. But if someone's still working on it, please just drop me a message.)

Reactions: Pablitox

DarthNemesis

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anyone or any hacker knows how the game checks the speakers (I mean the names of the speakers, ex. Moka, Tsukune, etc.) and text orders? The text format that was discussed earlier in the thread only has info about text offset and length, but I can't find which files control the order of those texts and output different speaker's names in the game.

I can take a look at it, but the links earlier in the thread are broken. Can you re-post the file info / character tables?

Reactions: jjjewel

DarthNemesis

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't see any references to adv_msg.bb in the arm9 or overlays, but I do see that and a bunch of other filenames inside the adv_ayk files, so that would be my first guess as to where things like speaker/portraits/effects for each line are scripted.

Reactions: jjjewel

jjjewel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't see any references to adv_msg.bb in the arm9 or overlays, but I do see that and a bunch of other filenames inside the adv_ayk files, so that would be my first guess as to where things like speaker/portraits/effects for each line are scripted.
Yeah, adv_ayk is also what I thought. It's the only file I couldn't figure out the format. (Most of others contain BAC or BBG header which is for graphics.)

Additional Info: I just tried switching sub-files in adv_ayk and import it to the game. It's confirmed that adv_ayk.bb controls which scripts to load, but so far I still couldn't figure out the format yet.

Edited:
adv_ayk files seem to have this format;

8303 0300 0100 xxxx 0000 8103 0000 yyyy 0000

xxxx = dialog number
yyyy = speaker number

(I just checked the first 2 files. Not sure if it should be xxxxxxxx or yyyyyyyy.)

jjjewel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, I could match the scripts with speakers already. However, I still don't fully understand AYK file format. The info in my post above should be enough to get dialog/speaker pairs to use as reference but not enough to fully manipulate the scripts. (I usually don't do that anyway, but in case someone wants to add additional dialog boxes, etc., you'll have to figure that out by yourself.)

If there's a major update or release, I'll probably start a new thread for it. ;)

Edited: May 15, 2015
Started a new thread with translation patch released here:
http://gbatemp.net/threads/rosario-vampire-ds-another-english-translation.388836/

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    NinStar @ NinStar: unless nintendo is going to start selling consoles at a loss that thing won't be cheap based on...