Homebrew Transfering DS Cartridges to SD Card

Malajandro

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have the 3DS XL and am interested in digitizing my DS and 3DS cartridges by transferring the information to the 3DS's SD card. I've looked around online for information on how to do this (if it is even possible), but could only come across bits and pieces of information.

I have over 2 dozen DS and 3DS game cartridges, and it is quite a hassle carrying them around all the time. If at all possible, is there any walk through on how to pull the game information and save them onto the SD card? That way I could access all my titles on the actual DS without the need of cartridges.

If this can be done, can it be done safely, without potential damaging (I suppose bricking would be the correct term) my 3DS?

Thanks for the help.

Malajandro

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks, I'm having issues installing Godmode9, however. Is there anything else I'm supposed to install beforehand?

Attempting to boot Godmode9 with start+power did not do anything for me.

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks, I'm having issues installing Godmode9, however. Is there anything else I'm supposed to install beforehand?

Attempting to boot Godmode9 with start+power did not do anything for me.
Do you have Luma cfw installed?

3ds.guide

It won't work unless you have followed this guide (or similar) from the beginning

Last edited by x65943,
Reactions: Alexander1970

Malajandro

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks everyone! I see I vastly underestimated the amount of work needed to actually set up the 3DS for homebrew usage. I've since followed all the steps and have managed to successfully dump a game cartridge.

As a sort of follow up question, is it ever safe to turn back on the SpotPass settings after the custom firmware has been installed?

And is it still possible to purchase items from the Nintendo eShop as normal?

EDIT: Also, the game cartridge I dumped is Animal Crossing: New Leaf. However, without the cartridge, it prompts me to create a new town or "file." Whereas I can only access my town when the cartridge is inserted. Is there a guide outlining out to transfer the save data accordingly? Or is that not possible? Thanks.

Last edited by Malajandro,

LucasM3

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
3ds homebrew setup used to be worse. First time took me a couple of hours to get everything done.

Malajandro

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
3ds homebrew setup used to be worse. First time took me a couple of hours to get everything done.

It wasn't an especially difficult process to be sure. Just tedious and time consuming. There was a really good YouTube video I found that walked me through all the steps.

Also, disregard my above post. I found transferring save data from my cartridge to the newly installed digital title was a simple matter of using the downloadable Save Data Transfer Tool from the eShop.

So, I'm happy to say everything is set up and working now. All that remains is for me to digitize all my cartridges and transfer the save data. Not difficult at all, just time consuming.

Thanks again for the help everyone.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: yawn