Hardware Top screen in 3ds might be going bad

mike a

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I've had my 3ds for probably 3/4 years now. Haven't turned it on in a few months. So I turned it on last night and the whole left side of the top screeywas dark. But left it on for a bit and it started to look normal again, but then the middle of the screen had parts that were a little darker than normal. The 3d aspect works, and I can play games still. Just wondering if it's because I haven't played in awhile or if it's just that time

mike a

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You think that is what it is?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

You think that's what it is? Damn it, I was wondering that

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You think that is what it is?
Water damage or rather the rusting/oxidation is basically the equivalent of contracting cancer for electronics. If it didn't kill that n3DS outright from an electric short, the trapped moisture would have worked its way through destroying those pins and traces over its long exposure period. That's why back then I made a big stink to you about disassembling, bathing the mobo in 91% isopropyl alcohol, and hair dryer + rice/couscous desiccator to pull all the water out, to try to stop it from spreading before it was too late. Exposure to water ≃ omae wa mou shindeiru. :mellow:

Do you know about the cellphone company of old, Nokia, and their legendary reputation for hardware reliability? As an fart old, I will tell you my little story of once owning one of their later 6000 series models like this one. I had that thing for 2 years where it was constantly dropped face level high, tossed against walls from family call arguments (I was a fuckboi at the time before the term existed), and pocket impacts from skateboarding. The one thing that finally did the phone in was a little rain water that got in-between its rubber number buttons. Two weeks later, my Nokia died turning on with black screen. My replacement phone, also a Nokia, met a somewhat similar fate but that time it was a laundry washer, lol.

There's not much you can do at this point. Maybe disassemble the n3DS anyway and clean all corrosion off the motherboard with toothbrush + 91% isoproypl rubbing alcohol. It might be the PICA200 GPU that's affected where its neighboring pins are touching each other from the corrosion, causing cross signal noise. If it's salvageable, I suggest spray coating the motherboard with pure silicon lube for extra moisture protection.

Last edited by TurdPooCharger,

mike a

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Heres one for ya, I'm homeless bro, its amazing I was able to even save up for it and hack it in the first place. Fuck it. Nothing I can do. There was no way I could disassemble then and store it in rice. I sell shit to tourists and most of them anymore are stuck up cheap pieces of trash imo. It was hard enough to eat with the cheap asses let alone be able to do all I would've had to do to get the moisture out. I can barely see the darkness on the top screen. Might as well enjoy it while I have it. And I was never able to fix the r button because I had to go to the hospital and they stoley special set of screwdrivers I had just bought to fix it cuz they could be used as weapons (it's a hospital thing) never gave them back either. Also stole my knife obviously. I'll fix the r button with a new set of screwdrivers when I can. Have to do surveys to order them online. But other things I have to use survey money on first. Florida can suck bro

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: they be like which lite firefox exe pls