Hacking Tool to turn off Advanced Power Management Feature for non-USB hard dr

hdhacker

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I ordered a Western Digital Passport Essentials USB hard drive for my Wii. I haven't received it yet, so I have no idea if its APM feature will cause me grief. Other hard drive manufacturers like Seagate and Maxtor have tools that allow you to disable the APM feature. I haven't found one for Western Digital yet.

BTW, has anyone using a Western Digital Passport Essentials drive experienced problems with the spin-down on your Wii?

However, I have found a command line utility that can help called hdparam. You can download the Windows version here:

http://hdparm-win32.dyndns.org/hdparm/

WARNING! - This tool is not for noobs! You can seriously fuck up your hard drive. If your manufacturer provides a utility, use it instead! This is only to be used as a last resort. It's command line (non-gui) and the switches are case sensitive. Mix them up and you are dead!

There are two possible switches that might work: "-S 0" or "-B 255"

The "-S" switch sets the standby (spindown) timeout for the drive. A timeout of 0 should disable the feature. The "-b" switch sets the Advanced Power Management feature, if the drive supports it. A value of 255 should disable the feature. Note: there's also a special switch for Seagate drives: "-Z"

Make sure to test if these settings survive a complete power down/restart. If not, you may need to add the "-K 1" switch to tell the drive to remember the settings.

Remember, this won't work with a USB drive. You would need to remove the internal hard drive from the enclosure and connect it directly to your PC before you could even attempt using this tool. For those of you who are putting together your own external solution, this tool could be a lifesaver.

evvil

Trophies
XP
Country
Im using a 400GB Western Digital Passport Essentials and it works perfect right out of the box, formatted with the usb loader just fine, runs every game iv put on it fast and smooth (more then 40 now). I'v loaded games through the wii and wbfs_win and all run perfect. I honestly would try it first before you mess with anything like that as I have had zero issues with mine so far.

Bought my drive the day after the loader came out from BB for 99$. I'm not sure you have to worry about spin down as the drive gets accessed quite often, I also left Tatsunoko vs Capcom paused while running on the loader for more then an hour, unpaused and it ran instantly no lag at all. Feel free to ask anything else and I'll do my best to answer.

73ARM3

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Im using a newly bought WD passport essential 250GB, as my freecom mobile classic (fujitsu hdd inside) 250GB wouldnt even get recognised with USB loader..I have played a few games so far with no issues at all....and all games transfer within 3 mins or so,,(dump with imgburn and transfer with WBFS Gui Rev7 by Maschell)

So far...no issues at all with WD passport essential 250GB

(left game alone ...celebrity sports showdown USA on my PAL wii for 15 mins...all that happened was my controller lost connection..pressed A ..game resumed and controller recallibrated)

Lomax

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
hdhacker said:
The WDC Passport Essentials looks like a winner, but I still wonder if they tested it for spindown problems?

I went with the Passport Essentials, based on the Compatibility list. Nothing but lockups and freezes. Avoid. The noobs adding them to the list are not testing them properly. I returned mine for a Seagate FreeAgent GO, and used the Maxtor tool to turn off the spindown.

jservs7

Witcher of Whores
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
evvil said:
Im using a 400GB Western Digital Passport Essentials and it works perfect right out of the box, formatted with the usb loader just fine, runs every game iv put on it fast and smooth (more then 40 now). I'v loaded games through the wii and wbfs_win and all run perfect. I honestly would try it first before you mess with anything like that as I have had zero issues with mine so far.

Bought my drive the day after the loader came out from BB for 99$. I'm not sure you have to worry about spin down as the drive gets accessed quite often, I also left Tatsunoko vs Capcom paused while running on the loader for more then an hour, unpaused and it ran instantly no lag at all. Feel free to ask anything else and I'll do my best to answer.
I have the same one and it works great! Less than $60 shipped for me at Staples.
biggrin.gif
I am replacing the enclosure for a cooler, aluminum one. (Even though it's a 2.5 and does not get that hot at all)

evvil

Trophies
XP
Country
hdhacker said:
The WDC Passport Essentials looks like a winner, but I still wonder if they tested it for spindown problems?

How would you test for spin down problems? let me know and I'll give it a try and let you know the outcome. BTW it really is a nice little drive, small quiet runs cool and looks good, a 500 in white would be sick! Also I have 41 games loaded and only using 83GB so far
smile.gif

icebrg5

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
jservs7 said:
evvil said:

I have the same one and it works great! Less than $60 shipped for me at Staples.
biggrin.gif
I am replacing the enclosure for a cooler, aluminum one. (Even though it's a 2.5 and does not get that hot at all)

What drive did you get at staples for $60?
I looked on staples.com and couldnt fidn any WD within that price range.Was it a previous deal?
I have a $25 off $75 coupon that i would love to use on this.

jservs7

Witcher of Whores
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
icpmattj said:
jservs7 said:
evvil said:

biggrin.gif

I looked on staples.com and couldnt fidn any WD within that price range.Was it a previous deal?
It was this one and yes, it was a deal at the time:
http://www.staples.com/office/supplies/p1_...es_10051_SEARCH

I got it about a week ago with a $25 off $75 coupon as well.

icebrg5

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
jservs7 said:
icpmattj said:
jservs7 said:
evvil said:

biggrin.gif

Thanks for the info.To bad my coupon expires in 2 days and staples dont have shit for deals.

evvil

Trophies
XP
Country
jservs7 said:
icpmattj said:
jservs7 said:
evvil said:

biggrin.gif

That's not the drive I have, it's this one. (I see why you want to change the enclosure of that one)

I bought it on sale last week for 99$ from best buy, they have the same one but a 320GB for 89$ this week.

jservs7

Witcher of Whores
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
evvil said:
jservs7 said:
icpmattj said:
jservs7 said:
evvil said:

biggrin.gif

That's not the drive I have, it's this one. (I see why you want to change the enclosure of that one)

Western-Digital-400GB-My-Passport

I bought it on sale last week for 99$ from best buy, they have the same one but a 320GB for 89$ this week.
Ah ok. So besides the casing, 2 extra years of warranty, and software thats installed with the Passport, its the same drive.
tongue.gif

hdhacker

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
evvil said:
I honestly would try it first before you mess with anything like that as I have had zero issues with mine so far.

Well, you can't use the hdparm utility on the drive without taking it out of the enclosure. Unless WD releases a utility, there's not much you can do without voiding your warranty. Thankfully, you haven't had any issues so far, so this may be a moot point.

Seagate and Maxtor external drives used to have disconnection issues in Linux. That's why they have utilities to turn that feature off. I tried googling for similar issues with Western Digital (newer) drives and I don't see it come up much. Maybe they have a better spin-down method? Maybe they're caching data better so the spin-up time isn't a factor?

Perhaps in the next release of the loader, there can be an option to "ping" the USB drive to keep it awake. That's the solution some people came up with for Linux.

QUOTE(Lomax @ Apr 5 2009, 09:50 PM) I went with the Passport Essentials, based on the Compatibility list. Nothing but lockups and freezes. Avoid. The noobs adding them to the list are not testing them properly. I returned mine for a Seagate FreeAgent GO, and used the Maxtor tool to turn off the spindown.

Ah, this is very interesting. Did you make sure you were using the correct USB port? Using the wrong one can cause lockups and freezes, too.

Also, is there any chance you're using an older beta of IOS222? I believe the latest is beta 3 (and I have no idea how to tell which one is installed).

evvil

Trophies
XP
Country
jservs7 said:
Ah ok. So besides the casing and 2 extra years of warranty, and software thats installed with the Passport, its the same drive.
tongue.gif

I'm sure the drive is exactly the same, the usb/sata controller of the enclosure may differ a bit, I really don't know any details on that though. But hell for 60$ shipped you really can't go wrong! I was just impatient and wanted to try it out right away so that was the best deal I could find around my place. I really wanted the 500GB in arctic white but 149$ was more then I was willing to spend.

twig123

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a WD 80GB IDE drive (WD800JB) in an external enclosure. I tested this program (after removing the drive and connecting it direct to IDE in my computer) and it appears that I was able to Disable the Standby feature, however, APM and Keep settings failed. Below is the output of me running these hdparm commands:
Code:
C:\Program Files\hdparm\bin>hdparm -S 0 hdb
hdb:
setting standby to 0 (off)
================
C:\Program Files\hdparm\bin>hdparm -B 255 hdb
hdb:
setting Advanced Power Management level to disabled
HDIO_DRIVE_CMD failed: Input/output error
================
C:\Program Files\hdparm\bin>hdparm -K 1 hdb
hdb:
setting drive keep features to 1 (on)
HDIO_DRIVE_CMD(keepsettings) failed: Input/output error
I just tested by playing Geometry Wars for a while, however, the game(s) still freeze/black screen/horrible screeching after ~25min. Anyone have any additional incite on this issue/error with hdparm?

JussiPik

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
i just bought WD 160 GB passport essential and it works like a charm, no spindown problems what so ever.
tested with every program possible.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    eeewww
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I thought it was the toilet
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    okies. Time to go watch YT paranormal ghost things. L8er my luvs :D
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got a massive clue
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    this mf def ain't watching ghost shit, he boutta beat his meat fr
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah he's about to be the ghost in your bedroom
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, and leave ectoplasm all over the place
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:

this is him being described
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Sigh
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, I dislike the kind of drm where you have to play single player games online all the time bc of some verification bs
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Don't use games that have Easy Anti-Cheat as its been exploited many times.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, my PC can't run most AAA games so i wont
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Most of the modern AAA games
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, I also heard one of the Prince of Persia games was so unfinished that it required the "24/7 online" drm so a puzzle could be done and the game could be finished. And that when the Ubisoft servers were closed the (cracked) game was impossible to finish or something like that
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, That's extra scummy. Ubisoft nowadays ship out incomplete games like Skull and Bones which was being worked on for nearly a decade now.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, i think they have been doing that since late 2000s
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Either that or their old games were unfinished aswell but we can't notice it
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I like that games can be fixed after the fact, hate that it's being abused via beta tests... And DLC... I was a 7800 owner back in the day and loved Impossible Mission, turns out I couldn't beat it because it was actually impossible lol
    I never knew about it at the time but a fixed version was available but you had to mail in your broken copy lol
    So that version is semi rare
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, I have a rom of the ds version of impossible mission
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @Psionic Roshambo, I have a rom of the ds version of impossible mission