Hacking To buy a cheap Nintendo DS or a brand new DS Lite?

wuggle

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I've just purchased a M3 MiniSD and Max Media Launcher thing with the original intention of buying a second hand Nintendo DS however, I have decided I should probably not be a cheapskate and buy a new DS.

Now the question of which to buy should be simple I think? All reviews suggest the Nintendo DS Lite addresses many of the original DS flaws HOWEVER, the one thing that is slightly bothering me is the fact that GBA carts stick out about 1cm from the DS Lite case... I know the M3MiniSD is slightly bigger than a standard GBA cart too...

I know the M3 may stick slightly out of an old DS but obviously not as much.

Am I being stupid to care about this cosmetic look when putting a M3 in a DS Lite?

Is having a cartridge that sticks out 1cm not a big deal when you have supposedly such a brighter screen?

I'd be interested in your comments!

Help!

Regards
Wuggle

younglink11

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I say go for a lite! Brighter screen, better battery life, sleeker design..

I bet you'll quickly get used to the M3 sticking out of it, seeing as how its also going to stick out of the original DS too.

Alastair

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Well with the original DS the whole system will be 'sticking out' more than any cartridge will be in a Lite
smile.gif

I'm going for a Lite.

Venoman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Everyone here will say get the lite, pretty much only because they like shiny new gadgets. Don't get me wrong, the Lite is definitely an improvement on the original DS in that it's smaller in your pocket and has a brighter backlight, and it looks cooler for whatever that's worth, but it isn't like a hands-down no-question-about-it Lite wins type thing. With the Lite coming out used DSs in good shape are going to be a dime a dozen and much cheaper than a new DS or Lite. If you're buying new, the Lite and original are more or less the same price give or take a few bucks, so you might as well get the Lite. The Lites are a lot more prone to scratching with the plastic coating on it, especially the darker colored ones, so keep that in mind also.

lego

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Go with a Lite if you can afford it. I've seen plenty of scratched up regular DSs and if you take reasonable care of both, I'd think the Lite would end up looking better preciesly due to the clearcoat. Other than that, the screen difference is night and day. I've gotten a Lite for my wife and still have my old DS, and now I'm tempted to bite the bullet and get another Lite for myself because the Lite is so much brighter and crisper. The m3 miniSD _does_ stick out quite a bit more on the Lite but that's not that big of a deal I think.

yuwing

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The only reason why i would get the original DS is the fact that it's less likely of it being stolen compared to the DS lite. I go on transit everyday and I live in a bad neighborhood. hence, i have reluctance to bring it out on the bus. Then again, the features on the lite (better screen, lighter, sleek) makes it way more appealing.

In the end, it's your choice. If u were to get original DS, which is only SLIGHTLY cheaper than DS lite, then just get the ds lite. however, since more people are selling the original DS for cheap (less than 90), u can score one really cheap. with $120 flash card w/ memory card + $90 = total for the system is less than $210. (all prices CND)

monkey

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The DS Lite is really amazing. The screen brightness is so incredible. I had a chance to compare them side by side yesterday (a guy I work with has a regular DS and happened to have it with him) and the difference is shocking. He was so jealous
smile.gif
. You know how the actual game never looks as bright or as sharp as the screenshots you see online? With the DS Lite, they look just as good as the screenshots, if not brighter (on the brighter settings). I had a chance to get a secondhand DS free from a friend but decided to stretch my budget and get a Lite instead, and I'm glad I did.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
You haven't mentioned a price. The DS Lite is US$180, and it all depends on the price of a used DS. If you can get one for less than $120, get the used one. It's not as sleek or as elegant as the DS Lite, but the $50 you save will buy you a huge SD card
biggrin.gif

(Or two original DS games, if fancy takes you that way
wink.gif

If not, get the DS Lite.

trancegemini

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
get the ds lite the screen is so nice with how bright it is i cant even use my old ds now that i have the ds lite when i go back and use the old one i think how could nintendo have even sold it being this dim. The new version is not only better looking the screen is much easyer to see.

DjoeN

Captain Haddock!
Trophies
Website
djoen.dommel.be
XP
Country
Belgium
DS-Lite

And get a EZ4 Lite when it come sout (or if you really don't mind (i don't)) go with a supercard mini SD (same size as GBA cart) or M3 mini SD

if you can wait and you have a problem about things sticking out, wait for ez4 lite or any other have to come lite carts
wink.gif

EZ4 Lite uses Transflash (micro SD)

Bur on DS site, Lite is the only way to go
smile.gif

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
It's wrong! The DS Lite is $130 US!
You can get it for even less than $130 here:
http://www.dvdboxoffice.com

I say get a DS Lite
smile.gif
Opium's review of the Nintendo DS Lite totally convinced me.

In that case get a DS Lite. Definitely.
And here's an agument that no-one mentioned (I think): the DS lite has a longer stylus. It's much more comfortable to use than the toothpick-sized stylus on the DS Phat.

x_comp

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I would get a DS Lite for the battery life alone because it lasts for twice as long than the original DS. Very handy when you're on 10 hours or longer journeys (i.e., plane journey from UK to a Far East Asian destination), and you're away from a power supply.

Otherwise, there's the cooler look if you're appearance concious and a sharper screen. Screens can be much brighter than the original DS too if you want them to be but, that'll mean some trade-off with battery power of course.

Weight wise, there's not much difference. Only 57g.

Edit:

If you want a video comparison, check this site:
http://www.cabel.name/2006/03/nintendo-ds-...first-look.html

The screens definitely look a lot brighter than the DS.

imforpbj

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
imforpbj.livejournal.com
XP
Country
United States
You have also have to look ahead. remember the Game Boy Color Carts? Could'nt believe how they got all that game into one little tiny cart! Notice how as the carts got smaller with each iteration of the portable game console ( X-nay the PSP ) the carts got smaller even though there was more information on them.

And the Flash Carts, they went from CF to SD to Mini SD; in the time of about a year, Flashcarts now fit flush into the device they were ment for.

The point I'm trying to make is that if you wait a bit, Flash carts will evolve to fit flush into the DS lite just like the GBA generation flash cart has.

mm91187

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
DS-Lite

And get a EZ4 Lite when it come sout (or if you really don't mind (i don't)) go with a supercard mini SD (same size as GBA cart) or M3 mini SD

if you can wait and you have a problem about things sticking out, wait for ez4 lite or any other have to come lite carts
wink.gif

EZ4 Lite uses Transflash (micro SD)

sorry for being off topic, but does the cart still stick out of the GBA/DS with the M3 mini sd?
i think this is a pic of the m3 min isd
m3minixb.jpg

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/ET4pF4XcvUU?si=kDfZWTQ8q0ayUtvO lol Michael Mathers