Homebrew Tiramisu license?

forestbeasts

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's one downside to Tiramisu we've never seen mentioned: it's not technically open source!

This is probably an oversight, as the code is all there. But most of it doesn't seem to have a license on it.

This means that if it ever stops being developed by the original devs, no one else can pick it up and keep it going even though you can technically read the source, and, well... *waves paw at all the Wii and 3DS homebrew tooling that's died and been revived by other people*.

So, to the Tiramisu dev(s): can y'maybe add an open source license, if you're cool with it being open source?

(I know Tiramisu is supposed to be just a stepping stone on the way to Aroma, but what if Aroma never happens? It's good to be able to keep the scene alive then.)

-- Frost

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the license is probably to protect it from unauthorized changes that may or may not brick people's systems, in case someone was releasing their own or a fork or something. I know that's why lightning mods does the same thing with the hb store on the ps4. you can build it, but the license is only known to the dev to prevent this sort of thing.

forestbeasts

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No no no no! I'm talking about a license on the code, that would let people edit it without Copyright Shit.

Because without a license, even if the code is all there, you can't legally edit it. Which is important if the original devs stop working on it.

Like, I can't even count how many times we've used some homebrew tool that's an updated fork of the original because the original dev disappeared ten years ago.

Reactions: AncientBoi

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No no no no! I'm talking about a license on the code, that would let people edit it without Copyright Shit.

Because without a license, even if the code is all there, you can't legally edit it. Which is important if the original devs stop working on it.
well, it's up to the devs. a ton of shit is closed source anyway, and some things don't even give enough information to compile it now, so those things are lost. I can see where you're coming from though.

Reactions: impeeza

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OH, code signing? Huh! That's a surprising amount of infrastructure for a homebrew thing. :3
yes, it's to prevent people from unknowingly downloading an update that may brick their system. the way lm has it is you can only create an update, not the base hb store from github, which probably has the key stored in it. it's known only to him what that key might be.

forestbeasts

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
btw, I have managed to compile autoboot and bloopair. I'm not sure if the others are open source or not.
That's good to know!

...although what makes it open source isn't actually the availability of the source code, although of course you need that. What makes it open source is whether it has an open source license attached to it. So like, the things with LICENSE files are, the things without aren't.

Reactions: godreborn

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's good to know!

...although what makes it open source isn't actually the availability of the source code, although of course you need that. What makes it open source is whether it has an open source license attached to it. So like, the things with LICENSE files are, the things without aren't.
then, I couldn't say. you'd have to ask @Maschell or @GaryOderNichts . the latter, possibly both, are on discord more than here though, because I thought the opposite was true when I talked to Gary on discord about his soh wiiu port.

Reactions: forestbeasts

Lostbhoy

HEY YOU GUYS!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Like, I can't even count how many times we've used some homebrew tool that's an updated fork of the original because the original dev disappeared ten years ago.

I totally feel your pain as I'm looking for some source code for a wii app but yeah, the dev never saved it anywhere apart from their own site which is now long gone unfortunately however the simple answer is it is entirely at their own discretion. They certainly never have to release it in any form unless they want to under any circumstances.

It doesn't hurt asking tho so kudos but I think @godreborn answered it perfectly by the end user (for the most part) fucking up their consoles with modified unreleased content.

Reactions: godreborn

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I totally feel your pain as I'm looking for some source code for a wii app but yeah, the dev never saved it anywhere apart from their own site which is now long gone unfortunately however the simple answer is it is entirely at their own discretion. They certainly never have to release it in any form unless they want to under any circumstances.

It doesn't hurt asking tho so kudos but I think @godreborn answered it perfectly by the end user (for the most part) fucking up their consoles with modified unreleased content.
that's what I think is the most likely reason, but I don't know for sure. what's weird is that some homebrew is either already set up for aroma or only set up for aroma. I tried one of them on my machine, and it said that the system files were corrupted when used on tiramisu. I don't really know what the difference is, but it sounds like it will be released at some point.

Reactions: Lostbhoy

forestbeasts

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
...the end user (for the most part) fucking up their consoles with modified unreleased content.

*nodnods* yeah, I get that, but also most people probably won't be digging through their CFW source code. It's the people who know what they're doing who will. And it's important to be _able_ to.

(As an aside, it'd be nice if we had an LLE emulator to test things like CFW patches on. Wonder how Decaf is doing.)

Reactions: Lostbhoy

Th3L3g3nd12

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
*nodnods* yeah, I get that, but also most people probably won't be digging through their CFW source code. It's the people who know what they're doing who will. And it's important to be _able_ to.

(As an aside, it'd be nice if we had an LLE emulator to test things like CFW patches on. Wonder how Decaf is doing.)
I think the last time Tiramisu was even updated was some months ago. Minor too. I guess what’s not broken don’t fix it. Like CBHC. It was updated but it has been years and no one batted an eye to get it years ago. Tiramisu seems like it’s in a place where it can be left alone. Of course, this is coming from a consumer. I don’t know what coding issues are in the most recent Tiramisu built. Tiramisu was already made to be a temporary placeholder for Aroma, said by devs themselves. So maybe it isn’t necessary also.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: CRAZY HAMBURGER