• Views 7,711
  • Replies 75
  • Likes 6

netovsk

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
This is fine, I'm inclined to the same thing but I got the other current gen consoles so I'll be holding out since I just have my Switch for exclusives.

xpoverzion

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
I just bought a second Switch (For the girlfriend) from Ebay for $240. It's in like-new condition, with all accessories, and a few extras. I turned it on today, and to my surprise it's still on firmware 2.3. My Switch is on 5.1. What should I do? Give her my switch (She has no interest in hacking anything), and keep the 2.3? Keep my 5.1, and the 2.3, and order buy a third switch for the GF? Update the 2.3 to 5.1, and give that switch to her as planned? The potential for coldboot is the only thing that makes this decision difficult. But it also looks like coldboot may never be a reality for the Switch anyways. Tough decision here.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Please show me source of your information (that firmware needs to load automaticaly from SSD).

I didn't say it needed to boot from an SSD.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firmware

Theoretically, it can boot automatically (you know, coldboot). So still counts as CFW.

CFW as a term is used by the scene to refer to a modification to the original FW that is custom that can be flashed onto a device instead of the original firmware and doesn't require any other software or hardware to load it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Custom_firmware

Last edited by smf,

Kubas_inko

"Something funny goes here."
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
I just bought a second Switch (For the girlfriend) from Ebay for $240. It's in like-new condition, with all accessories, and a few extras. I turned it on today, and to my surprise it's still on firmware 2.3. My Switch is on 5.1. What should I do? Give her my switch (She has no interest in hacking anything), and keep the 2.3? Keep my 5.1, and the 2.3, and order buy a third switch for the GF? Update the 2.3 to 5.1, and give that switch to her as planned? The potential for coldboot is the only thing that makes this decision difficult. But it also looks like coldboot may never be a reality for the Switch anyways. Tough decision here.
Either give her your 5.1.0 or buy a third one :D
(at least don't forget, that you can't downgrade, so lower fw = more rare)

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I didn't say it needed to boot from an SSD.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firmware

CFW as a term is used by the scene to refer to FW that is custom that can be flashed onto a device instead of the original firmware and doesn't require any other software or hardware to load it.
solid state drive is almost the same as solid state storage (just didn't want to write SSS)
To be honest, I don't know if Atmosphere is how they want to call the CFW or the patch which creates the CFW.

And I edited the post.

And wiki says, that switch has 4 little cores, yet nobody can find them so, how can I trust it? :P
Over time, popular usage extended the word "firmware" to denote any computer program that is tightly linked to hardware, including processor machine instructions for BIOS, bootstrap loaders

Last edited by Kubas_inko,
Reactions: Red1Reaper

xpoverzion

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Either give her your 5.1.0 or buy a third one :D
(at least don't forget, that you can downgrade, so lower fw = more rare)

solid state drive is almost the same as solid state storage (just didn't want to write SSS)
And I edited the post.

And wiki says, that switch has 4 little cores, yet nobody can find them so, how can I trust it? :P

Yeah, I'm feeling like I might have to hold on to this 2.3 switch for a little while longer. Maybe sell it some day. Maybe use it some day with a cold boot solution along with the other coldboot consoles in the collection. Still a tough decision. We shall see..

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I'm feeling like I might have to hold on to this 2.3 switch for a little while longer. Maybe sell it some day. Maybe use it some day with a cold boot solution along with the other coldboot consoles in the collection. Still a tough decision. We shall see..
I'm assuming you aren't interested in any of the warmboot methods?

xpoverzion

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
I'm assuming you aren't interested in any of the warmboot methods?
Yeah, I'm not interested in warmboot options that involve going through the browser/online every time. If there is a warmboot solution that involves a one click homebrew solution directly off the home menu, then that would be acceptable.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Over time, popular usage extended the word "firmware" to denote any computer program that is tightly linked to hardware, including processor machine instructions for BIOS, bootstrap loaders

Right, but it's always software that loads without external intervention.

We didn't call XBOX 360 RGH a CFW either.

Last edited by smf,

Kubas_inko

Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
Right, but it's always software that loads without external intervention.
Where is that? I was tryint to find that line. Becuase that's just how wiki defines it.
How do you boot to bios (on PC)? With external intervention (you know, pressing buttons).
It does not have to be automated at all...

Last edited by Kubas_inko,

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
How do you boot to bios (on PC))? Automatically? nope.

LOL wut? Of course the BIOS boots automatically on PC (although technically modern PC's boot to UEFI).

What do you think happens when you turn your PC on? The BIOS or UEFI starts first and then either boots from disk/network/cd etc or shows a UI.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I'm not interested in warmboot options that involve going through the browser/online every time. If there is a warmboot solution that involves a one click homebrew solution directly off the home menu, then that would be acceptable.
Ah, OK. If it helps, there is a bounty for whoever makes a coldboot exploit that works up to 3.0.2. On the flipside, the bounty usually means its so hard that its not worth achieving given we already have a coldboot albeit a tethered one.

Kubas_inko

Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
LOL wut? Of course the BIOS boots automatically on PC (although technically modern PC's boot to UEFI).

What do you think happens when you turn your PC on? The BIOS or UEFI starts first and then either boots from disk/network/cd etc or shows a UI.
But how do you boot to bios? In order to load GUI (which is part of firmware) you have to press button combination. That is your wut.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Ah, OK. If it helps, there is a bounty for whoever makes a coldboot exploit that works up to 3.0.2.

What if someone made a coldboot exploit that only worked on 5.0? Would they not get the bounty?

But how do you boot to bios? In order to load GUI (which is part of firmware) you have to press button combination. That is your wut.

LOL, you know what detects that key? It's the BIOS, it's already running. You're talking about SETUP, that isn't the BIOS.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What if someone made a coldboot exploit that only worked on 5.0? Would they not get the bounty?
Theoretically yes, but the likelihood is diminished by the ASLR within the Switch. The reason the bounty is set to 3.0.2 is because there is a chance for a partial defeat in the ALSR that is not patched up to 3.0.2

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Theoretically yes, but the likelihood is diminished by the ASLR within the Switch. The reason the bounty is set to 3.0.2 is because there is a chance for a partial defeat in the ALSR that is not patched up to 3.0.2

Would it pay out if it only worked on 3.0.0?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    cearp @ cearp: and Psi - I had a cd player / radio that played mp3 cds once, very cool